Parris cues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parris cues.

A couple of my friends ordered 2 1pc John Parris Ultimate Cues in late September. The first cue cost £866 and the other £669 which I think is way to much money for once a week players but each to there own!
    John Parris told them the cues would take around 20 weeks to make as the process is a slow one on the Ultimate range.
    They rang Parris in late February and Parris told them he'd not started the cues because he couldn't find any good pieces of wood, they both said fair enough how long before they'll be ready, he told them in the next batch of wood he should find 2 nice pieces and make a start. They rang him back on Friday and he told them he'd only just found a couple of nice pieces and would be making a start straight away, he also said the cues will be ready for the end of April.
    How is this possible when he originally said its 20 weeks to make but now he can do it in 5???

I guess he afraid of canceling the orders by them and just put their cues up the wafting list for the Ultimate model.
    Once he found the suitable ash/maple, 5 weeks time is enough for making the cue. I believe the 20 weeks issue is supposed to give the maker the time needed for finding the right/good pieces of wood.
    Proud winner of the 2009 Premier League Semi-Final Prediction Contest

Comment

i ordered a ultimate in november 06 and recived the cue october 07 i **** you not. he said the exact same thing to me after 5 months he couldnt find a piece of maple good enough and i will have to wait for the next batch. when the cue eventually came the taiper was wrong so i sent it back and he made me a new 1 in under 1 month as he said he had all the wood there and he made it a priority. during the wait though i spoke to a woman who told me the cue was having the splices done then the next time i rang and spoke to parris he told me he hadnt even started it yet.

Comment

perhaps he mistook your order with somebody else's order

Comment

Originally Posted by ste bed View Post
          i ordered a ultimate in november 06 and recived the cue october 07 i **** you not. he said the exact same thing to me after 5 months he couldnt find a piece of maple good enough and i will have to wait for the next batch. when the cue eventually came the taiper was wrong so i sent it back and he made me a new 1 in under 1 month as he said he had all the wood there and he made it a priority. during the wait though i spoke to a woman who told me the cue was having the splices done then the next time i rang and spoke to parris he told me he hadnt even started it yet.
          Just been telling my mate what you said and he said when he rang up in February the 1st time the women told him the exact same thing that John was on with the splicing of his cue. He rang back the following week and John told him he'd not started it. Thats way to much of a coincidence if you ask me, must use that excuse all the time?

Comment

i think it is fair to say that John Parris Cues are basically just a name really. People just want his cues because most of the pros reccomend him. It sounds to me from what i have heard that John Parris is definitely not the best cuemaker in the world on the customer service side of things....
            Age: 16... Cue: Maximum Break Sponsored Custom Cue... Tip: Elkmaster...
            Titles:
            2 times South Birmingham Schools League Champion,
            Bishop Challoner Knockout Cup Winner

Comment

i ordered a 1 piece ultimate maple shaft with a limited edition 1 splice then had the joint put in 1 in above the splices and i have to say its the nicest made cue i have ever owned the splices where perfect the cue was perfectly straight well balenced and the joint was so flush if you closed your eyes and run your hands down it you couldnt tell there was a joint there at all but unfortunatly i just couldnt play withit and sold it on mine was number 925.

Comment

When you look on the websites of cuemakers they all state that the process of making a shaft from a blank is very time consuming.
                The reduce the size of the blank step by step with some time in between to leave the wood settle.
                So 20 weeks sounds realistic. If they receive blanks and can do the ultimte in 5 weeks something sounds strange for me.
                I think they have many shafts in the pipieline at different stages of the work progress and decide in that process which one is good enough for an ultimate.

For me that sounds like simple excuses.
                I am confused... Oh wait... Maybe I'm not...

Comment

Good things come to those who wait, my ultimate was 25 weeks in the waitng, bottom line is that i am sure you will love it, let me know if you are unhappy with it, and for what reasons.

Comment

Originally Posted by ChatLag View Post
                    When you look on the websites of cuemakers they all state that the process of making a shaft from a blank is very time consuming.
                    The reduce the size of the blank step by step with some time in between to leave the wood settle.
                    So 20 weeks sounds realistic. If they receive blanks and can do the ultimte in 5 weeks something sounds strange for me.
                    I think they have many shafts in the pipieline at different stages of the work progress and decide in that process which one is good enough for an ultimate.

For me that sounds like simple excuses.
                    i think all this stage by stage thing is a myth anyway it makes no difference.
                    https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                      i think all this stage by stage thing is a myth anyway it makes no difference.

I am applauding from the back.

Comment

well i get fed up of saying it!
                        https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Well, how long does it effectively take to make a cue then?

Of course there must be a difference between one with a plain ebony butt
                          and another with lots of splices on it. So let's say ebony butt with a single
                          veneer and a facing splice in whatever wood.

Comment

Originally Posted by trevs1 View Post
                            I am applauding from the back.
                            Trev... quick professional question...
                            ...surely an operation like Parris with their big-reputation-waiting-list and craft-U-facturing operation would be able to find and afford to inventory a sufficient array of woods to meet almost any requirement...
                            cruising the web to search for types of wood is fun and I get the impression many high-quality blanks are readily available... am I mistaken?
                            ... I suspect that the wait times are related to too many orders for too few hands to make in a timely fashion... is this correct?

Cheers

=o)

Noel

Comment

Originally Posted by noel View Post
                              Trev... quick professional question...
                              ...surely an operation like Parris with their big-reputation-waiting-list and craft-U-facturing operation would be able to find and afford to inventory a sufficient array of woods to meet almost any requirement...
                              cruising the web to search for types of wood is fun and I get the impression many high-quality blanks are readily available... am I mistaken?
                              ... I suspect that the wait times are related to too many orders for too few hands to make in a timely fashion... is this correct?

Cheers

=o)

Noel
                              yes you would think he would hire another chinese school boy,, to help out, as it seems like the other boys cant cope !!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X