Tony Wilshaw v MasterCraft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tony Wilshaw v MasterCraft

For about the same price I can get either a handmade mastercraft or a machine spliced Tony Wilshaw.

What do you think?

I'm a novice novice, but as far as I can see Tony Wilshaw is considered a better maker. I've heard some3 mixedthings about master craft but the cue they offer is handmadeand customisable.

Are handmade cues generally better? I think Allan Mcmannus uses a machine spliced cue.

Thanks in advance

TW is what i would reckon

Comment

There are quite a few pros that are using or have used machine spliced cues. If the cue suits you it does not matter if it is hand or machine spliced.
      My recommendation is: Go for Tony Wilshaw. He is the man behind his cues, he knows what he is talking about and he can help you finding out what you might need.
      I am confused... Oh wait... Maybe I'm not...

Comment

And remember: A well made machine spliced cue will always be better than
        a poorly crafted hand made one.

Comment

Why not go for a Craftsman cue, ? if your looking at mastercraft contact ADR147 he has a few that he commisioned from them.....

Comment

There are lots of variables to take into account: what do you play with at the moment? What are you used to playing with? How much is your budget? What kind of cue and specs are you looking for? What kind of 'feel' are you loking for?

Overall the advice you've already received is good and can be followed.
            Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

two different things altogether. email me i will be able to help you out.
              https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

I currently use a Peradon Crown machine spliced ash shaft. It's got a very slight bend in it and the ash grain is quite rough. I'd like to get a decent cue with a maple shaft because I like how smooth they feel.

Do machine and handspliced cues feel very different?

Also I get the impression that maple cues are harder and less whippy, is that right?

Comment

If you're used to using a machine-spliced cue then it's a good idea to stay with what you know, so I'd stay with a machine-spliced cue. A nice maple is much smoother than a lot of ash shafts but a good ash shaft will be smooth too. However, if you like maple then why not?

Machine- and hand-spliced cues can feel different but it depends ... the real difference should be in the quality of the shaft chosen. A handspliced cue should have a better shaft than a machinespliced cue. It's not always the case. If you have a 1pc machine cue then it won't feel the same as a 1pc handspliced cue, but if the cues are 3/4 then there shouldn't be much difference in feel.

Some maple cues are very hard and some are softer, the same as ash. Maple is denser than ash therefore heavier, so if you're looking to get a naturally forward-balancing cue then it's perhaps easier with maple, especially if you favour a lighter cue. However, each piece of wood is different.

If it was me, I'd go and visit the manufacturer's shops and have a look around and try out the cues they've got out on display and ask questions. They'll be delighted to help you out.

Hope this helps,
                  Keith
                  Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

Originally Posted by tmcthree View Post
                    I currently use a Peradon Crown machine spliced ash shaft. It's got a very slight bend in it and the ash grain is quite rough. I'd like to get a decent cue with a maple shaft because I like how smooth they feel.

Do machine and handspliced cues feel very different?

Also I get the impression that maple cues are harder and less whippy, is that right?
                    ok machined cues are made in two pieces by a machine its not the same as a hand made cue at all. maple is normally whippier than ash because it is softer.

Comment

Originally Posted by KeithinFrance View Post
                      If you're used to using a machine-spliced cue then it's a good idea to stay with what you know, so I'd stay with a machine-spliced cue. A nice maple is much smoother than a lot of ash shafts but a good ash shaft will be smooth too. However, if you like maple then why not?

Machine- and hand-spliced cues can feel different but it depends ... the real difference should be in the quality of the shaft chosen. A handspliced cue should have a better shaft than a machinespliced cue. It's not always the case. If you have a 1pc machine cue then it won't feel the same as a 1pc handspliced cue, but if the cues are 3/4 then there shouldn't be much difference in feel.

Some maple cues are very hard and some are softer, the same as ash. Maple is denser than ash therefore heavier, so if you're looking to get a naturally forward-balancing cue then it's perhaps easier with maple, especially if you favour a lighter cue. However, each piece of wood is different.

If it was me, I'd go and visit the manufacturer's shops and have a look around and try out the cues they've got out on display and ask questions. They'll be delighted to help you out.

Hope this helps,
                      Keith
                      Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                      ok machined cues are made in two pieces by a machine its not the same as a hand made cue at all. maple is normally whippier than ash because it is softer.
                      Now you see where problems can arise? Because we both know what we're talking about!!

Go to a shop and try out good cues and see what you like.

Comment

noooo tell me what to think!!!

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                          . maple is normally whippier than ash because it is softer.
                          I ordered a maple cue from Trevs1 cause I always thought maple was stiffer wood, and less whippy. I hate whippy cues, never got on with them.
                          Now you're scaring me adr
                          Spent a few bucks for Trevs1 cue

Comment

How much did you pay? (if you don't mind me asking)

Comment

Originally Posted by tmcthree View Post
                              How much did you pay? (if you don't mind me asking)
                              about three times the amount you are talking about.

Comment

Working...
                              X