58"
    9.8mm tip
    17ozes to max 17.5ozes
    Balance point 15" to max 16"
    Butt dia 29.5mm
    Ebony butt
    Joint can be in minimum 12" to max 16"

Somehow understanding that it is more possible for one pc cue

Do you have hand made 3/4 cue with similar specs or do you think such specs are not possible?

any good cue maker will be able to do that no problem

Comment

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING IS A JOKE

Originally Posted by te050202 View Post
      Is it a possible specs to ask from good cue maker:
      3/4 Cue
      58"
      9.8mm tip
      17ozes to max 17.5ozes
      Butt dia 29.5mm
      Ebony butt

Do you have hand made 3/4 cue with similar specs or do you think such specs are not possible?
      te050202...

Don't forget to add the special GUARANTEED NOT TO MISS option!
      I didn't and regret it terribly... worth every penny my friend!

=o)

Noel
      Last edited by noel; 30 March 2009, 07:44 PM. Reason: Content misunderstood

Comment

Originally Posted by te050202 View Post
        Is it a possible specs to ask from good cue maker:
        3/4 Cue
        58"
        9.8mm tip
        17ozes to max 17.5ozes
        Butt dia 29.5mm
        Ebony butt

thats not a hard spec to make.
        https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Somehow got different answers from few cue makers regarding those specs
          Those that usualy not adding any weight to the cues to effect the balance point, saying that naturaly the weight/balance for 58" 3/4 cue is about 18ozes/17"-17.5"
          Only two makers say my specs are doable

Is there defferent ways of cue making? Old way/new way? What's better?

Comment

the only problem according to me will be the weight,for a 3/4 but for a one pc it'll be perfect.

if you want a 3/4 then you should go for some light weight wood for splicings like birds eye or curly maple.
            RIP NOEL, A TRUE TSF LEGEND.

Comment

You say that you are quite flexible where the joint is.
              So maybe a 1pc cue split and jointed afterwards could be the easiest way to realize your specs. 1pc cues are available withut problem in that weight.

A 3/4 cue is made in two parts, the shaft with the splices and the solid butt connected with the jont. Could result in a bit heavier cue.
              I am confused... Oh wait... Maybe I'm not...

Comment

This spec is definitely "doable", but, there are some limitations.

If the butt length can be anything form 12" to 16", then it isn't an issue, but, a more 'standard' 3/4 cue, with a 16" butt length and a fairly good solid piece of ash for the shaft, would usually indicate the cue to be perhaps over 17.5oz's.

There are always more than a few ways to skin a cat though, so I'd say it shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

if you want holes bored in the butt then it's no problem. piece of p*ss in laymans terms.

however, my personal preference is to keep the wood solid. in which case, the cue is whatever weight it is.

a more important factor is not weight as such, but weight distribtution. i.e. overall balance.
                  The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Thanks guys for making this issue more clear for me!

Comment

Originally Posted by ChatLag View Post
                      You say that you are quite flexible where the joint is.
                      So maybe a 1pc cue split and jointed afterwards could be the easiest way to realize your specs. 1pc cues are available withut problem in that weight.

A 3/4 cue is made in two parts, the shaft with the splices and the solid butt connected with the jont. Could result in a bit heavier cue.
                      The text in bold above is true, but...

3/4 cues can be made without the butt section having to be solid ebony, or, having to be bored out as Mike says above. It's not an issue to make a 3/4 top shaft as it would normally be done, with the short ebony splices above the joint. Then, the butt can be made by doing it as you would a one piece cue butt, whereby the ebony is spliced over an ash or maple core and turned off round again. This will give you far more ability to reduce the weight below 17.5oz's while retaining a solid butt, and, still keep the appearance of a standard 3/4 cue.

Comment

Originally Posted by trevs1 View Post
                        The text in bold above is true, but...

3/4 cues can be made without the butt section having to be solid ebony, or, having to be bored out as Mike says above. It's not an issue to make a 3/4 top shaft as it would normally be done, with the short ebony splices above the joint. Then, the butt can be made by doing it as you would a one piece cue butt, whereby the ebony is spliced over an ash or maple core and turned off round again. This will give you far more ability to reduce the weight below 17.5oz's while retaining a solid butt, and, still keep the appearance of a standard 3/4 cue.
                        This is really interesting. It sounds as if it is more work to make the 3/4 shaft as usual plus a butt spliced on a core. Isn't it less work to splice a 1pc cue and cut it? The result seems for me to be te same, or am I wrong?

Comment

Not wrong at all, you're correct in many senses.

The thing is though, to build a one piece cue with a long butt, (say of 22" long as a 3/4 cue might be) brings its own issues, which in some ways, is more of a problem than it might seem. Much of the commercially available ebony for cues is already cut to a set dimension of approx 19" long, so this limits what's achievable.

So, if you made the cue as a one piece, then jointed it afterwards, it could be made to an identical weight as the 3/4 cue, but, it would not have the appearance of a standard 3/4 long butt cue, which is what the original poster asked. (well, kind of what he asked, allowing a butt of 12" to 16")

My earlier reply was in direct response to his original question of....."can the style and dimensions he specified be had while keeping the cue to that weight.

It is more work to build a cue the way I suggested though yes, and to be honest, offers no gain whatsoever, apart from giving you the cue specs you want in the style you want.
                          Last edited by trevs1; 31 March 2009, 05:04 PM.

Comment

It is always enlighting to hear more of the background of cue making.

Comment

Working...
                            X