What Cues Do the Pros Use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Cues Do the Pros Use?

I'm not asking for specific brands of specs, I'm just curious in regards to what type of cues professionals use. I'm in the process of buying anew cue - there is nothing particulary wrong with my cue, but after reading a lot on this forum as well as M/ Wooldridge's site, I am starting to question the quality of my cue as well as the ability to upgrade to something better.

I know that Ken Doherty uses a run of the mill (possibly mass produced) cue, but what about all the others? Once knowing that they were prodigious talents, did they get handmade expensive cues or did they continue to use with the cue they had as juniors?

(I assume that they didn't all have high quality cues when learning the game)

Most of the players in the pro game would have used the same cue for some years, while a few of them will be using THE ONLY cue they've ever owned.

There is no advantage in changing your cue simply because you feel you 'should' have one of a better quality. This quality is more to do with the materials used (though not always) and the build quality and finish, and is not any kind of guarantee to finding something which makes the game any easier for you.

If you are generally happy with your cue, stick with it.

Comment

I agree. You could have an old cue you bought for say £40 and it could feel just right and you can play the full range of shots required for snooker. Then upgrade to a £500 hand made jobby and it just doesn't have the same feel as your old one and you struggle with some shots. ie deep screw back.

I test my cue with the pink on it's spot and the white in the D. If I can hit the pink and screw back to the colours line I have a cue & tip combo which I can play full range of shots with.

Comment

Well, does it help if I say that I have a Powerglide Status?

Comment

Sorry for the double post, but the reason I posted this comment is that I am looking for a higher end cue. As I said previously, it is hard to understand what to think when there are so many comments flying around in respect to what a snooker player needs.

My current cue, is a Powerglide Status, I bought it for $150 Australian, and I must say that it is a solid cue. But I think it is time for me to upgrade.

There aren't really all that many option in Australia for acquiring a good cue. 've talked to many players at my club about purchasing a new cue and they say go to a bloke called Peter Hanley - a bloke who makes custom cues: http://www.peterhanleycues.com/. Although my other options are going to a store and buying a John Parris or Craftsman or whatever else they have there.

Now my mate bought a cue from Hanley and he said that what he said about store cues put him off buying them. Bare in mind, we are talking about Australia here - we have to get them shipped from overseas in large containers where these cues are subjected to moisture, humidity and other factors which would ultimately alter the playability of the cue.

So...

Comment

I believe peter ebdon tried many many cues before finally settling on a machine spliced rack cue with a 10mm tip. And he plays with an 11mm mushroom tip too. So if your happy with your cue you do not need to change.
            sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Working...
            X