Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much would you pay for a cue like that?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much would you pay for a cue like that?

Putting aside the name, what would you consider as the desirable and reasonable price for a 4 point ebony plain cue which is well made, with the kind of hit that you like. hand spliced and made.

Perhaps you can imagine it is a cue made by a new cue maker, but the work is good, and the hit is nice. Only problem is may be the resale value will not be good because he is an unknown.

How much would you play for a cue like that?
    www.AuroraCues.com

As its a new maker and it goes through the ball well the most I'd pay is about £300, whereas with an established maker like Parris, MW or White you know what your getting so I'd of course pay alot more.
    -'Don't choke, don't choke, don't choke! aww I knew I was going to choke'-

Comment

well if it is a new cue maker... maybe 250. If he is a really good cue maker then the price is going to be much higher over the next few months
      You cannot improve your game if you don't have a cue and snooker table
      BTW vucko means wolfie

Comment

£200 ish max, can't see why the need to charge more IMO. As I've said before though the price for me would be irrelevant but going on your description and that you have to be sensible and that is. You pay more for reputation but with no guarantee of the cue performing to your satisfaction.

Comment

I would personally say 130 is a good mark for a good unnamed cue. Thsi is depending on little things though, you may pay more for instance for completely jet black ebony, and a certain pattern of chevrons on the shaft. Personally i like the looks of ebony that isnt completely black, i think it adds character.
          sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

about £150 for an un marked cue is about right.
            https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Would you pay more for say snakewood, and more complex designs?
              www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Well obviously, you'd have to pay more for that. Snakewood is more expensive
                than ebony and there's a lot more work to be done if you want some secondary
                splices to be added. The price has to be higher than the one for a plain
                ebony butt.

Comment

I think 150 for a "standard" type of wood would be about right. Something like snakewood would obviously add to the cost more. I think 150 is a good mark for an unamed cue with something like tulipwood spliced in.
                  As for the design, it depends on how complex, but maybe 4 splices 150, 170 with 4 secondary splices as well.
                  As I said before little things would make me think it worth more, like the blackness of the ebony for instance if that was something you were really after.

Comment

Thank you very much. I appreciate that. The reason why I am asking is because I am thinking of building some snooker cues.

Unlike most Canadian cue makers who are making half jointed cues or butterfly spliced cues with CNC, I want to build my cues the way UK cue makers are with theirs, i.e., with hand plane, hand spliced points and such. I really like the idea of having the ash/maple shaft going all the way through the handle--from the tip to the butt end--on a one piece cue.

I have changed from a poolqjunkie to a snooker cue junkie since I joined this forum--of course, I do not expect myself to be up there in the same bracket with Trevor, Mike, John and all the masters--but I am very interested in building my own snooker cues so as to see my own ideas coming into reality.

My first few cues should be ready in about 30 days or so. But if I am not happy with them then I will not showcase them to anyone. I hope it would not come to that. There are about 4 cues in the work.

I will take the pricing suggestion into serious consideration. Thank you so much. Really appreciate it.
                    Last edited by poolqjunkie; 4 May 2009, 05:28 PM.
                    www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Hope the cue making goes well pooljunkie handmade cues are always alot better than any generic cue made in a factory.
                      -'Don't choke, don't choke, don't choke! aww I knew I was going to choke'-

Comment

Don't let the americans hear you say that!!!
                        I think starting out, for a good cue 120-150 seems a good price range though.
                        But obviously you should sell your cues to members of this forum instead... Because apparently you can get a lot more lol!

Comment

So, from what I have read so far, it seems it is 120, 130, 150, 200, 250 to 300.
                          From what I gathered, I guess it really depends on the work and the hit, too, and the quality of the wood as some have so rightly pointed out. Over time if a cue is good then it will fetch for more money in the market place.
                          www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

How about that good cue make in china?
                            woodscue@gmail.com

Easy way to custom made your cue

www.handmade-cue.com

Comment

Originally Posted by kevin147q View Post
                              How about that good cue make in china?
                              you mean like Kevin Sharland cues?
                              You cannot improve your game if you don't have a cue and snooker table
                              BTW vucko means wolfie

Comment

Working...
                              X