Some questions about finish...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some questions about finish...

I was looking at pictures of Trevor's cues and I could not help but noticed how glossy they looked. Is that just oil?

I have seen some antique cues with varnish on the lower half of the cue. Does anyone prefer that to no varnish?

Was Stephen Hendry playing with a varnish butt when he won all these titles? It looks to me from the videos like he was.

When I ordered my old John Parris, it came with a layer of oil on the cue, which was still wet when it arrived. So, I wiped it off naturally. The finish did not look even half as glossy as Trevor's cues in the pictures. I have tried to put layers of oil on it but still it looked very dull. Why???????

I have tried my friend's Glover and the ebony was very glossy even though it was quite an old cue.

Some Deroo cues that I have seen seemed to have some kind of very thin varnish on the butt, but on some others they seemed to be unvarnished.

So, I guess I just wanted to ask if you all prefer an unvarnished butt over a varnished butt(not shaft), and if you know of some ways to make the but very glossy without using varnish?

And I know it sounds dumb, but why are some cues so much more glossy than the others?

Thank you.
    Last edited by poolqjunkie; 5 May 2009, 05:11 PM.
    www.AuroraCues.com

either way does it matter that much? seems to me this is the same "people play better with nicer cues, non laminated ones etc etc". Reason i say that is because you find it shocking that hendry won titles with what seems to be a laminated cue. At the end of the day, it's what the player is capable of not what kind of cue he uses. Give him a laminated cue and i'm pretty sure he can still play amazing

Comment

Wax?

Personally it depends on the wood. I love the feel of tulip in your hand but I'm not so keen on the feel of ebony.
      sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

And one more question, given the same cue, same wood ...etc, will it last long, and stay straight longer if it is varnished rather than just oiled?
        www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

http://www.thesnookerforum.com/board...ad.php?t=17641

Have you seen this thread?

Comment

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
            And one more question, given the same cue, same wood ...etc, will it last long, and stay straight longer if it is varnished rather than just oiled?
            absolutely not
            The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Unless you coated it in a 1 inch thick coat of varnish.. Then it couldn't possibly warp

Comment

LOL

Is it only me who thinks Trevor's cue looks much more glossy and shinny than others?

If everyone is using oil then why is some more shinny than others?

Perhaps it has to do with how well the surface was prepared before it is oiled?

Anyone add any chemical to the oil?

I have seen the wax thread, but from what I have tried, wax usually wears off over time, and when too much is added, it will mix up with the dirts and what not and build up a layer of disgusting stuff. So usually I would have to clean the old wax up before applying the new wax.

I have tried a French finish mixture form a local store, it was meant for furniture finishing. Basically it produces a French finish look on bare wood with lots of hand rubbing. But overtime is wears off around the grip area.
                www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Do you mean pics of cues that people have taken or the ones trevor provides? Because some of Trevors may be taken while the oil is still wet, and hence look much more shiny

Comment

Originally Posted by RGCirencester View Post
                    Do you mean pics of cues that people have taken or the ones trevor provides? Because some of Trevors may be taken while the oil is still wet, and hence look much more shiny
                    Possible but...his cues are quite famous for the quality of finish which some say is the best in the industry. Another thread (I can't find now) suggested that his own special grain filler might be the key to his mirror finish.
                    Tear up that manure-fed astroturf!

Comment

So, does any of you like a cue with varnish on the butt (not the shaft)?
                      www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Varnish is the spawn of the devil!
                        sigpic <---New Website
                        Dan Shelton Cues on Facebook

Comment

Originally Posted by eaoin11 View Post
                          Possible but...his cues are quite famous for the quality of finish which some say is the best in the industry. Another thread (I can't find now) suggested that his own special grain filler might be the key to his mirror finish.
                          Do you think grain filler will affect the finish on the ebony butt? I am not too sure...has anyone tried that?

I think a lot of find sanding and polishing, and many layers of oil over a period of time might be the key...

Has anyone look closely at Deroo's cue? Does he cover them with some kind of very thin varnish?
                          www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

You're right about wax finishes, they do wear in time. The French Polish style finishes rely on shellac - a form of resin extracted from beetles. This produces a high gloss finish but again will wear much the same as a high quality wax finish will. There are many, many different formulations of oil on the market, some of which will polymerise given sufficient time to dry and produce a good finish - like linseed oil - but will perhaps lack that very high gloss.

I've not seen a Deroo cue in the flesh but judging from this picture:
                            http://www.deroocues.com/shaftpics.htm
                            It certainly seems possible there is a layer of something over the butt of the cue.

I think though that the 'holy grail' of a lasting deep lustre can only be achieved through the use of a consistent finish and wear. There's an oak bannister, waxed, in my mothers house, been there since 1901 (the bannister, not my mother! ). The years of wear have left it glossy, smooth and pretty impervious to fingers marks et al. This type of burnish is hard to replicate, though I guess you could try with an old bit of leather and some stupendously serious elbow grease!!!!

It's perhaps important to note though that the finish will only reflect whats going on underneath - as you mentioned fine sanding and polishing. In that case I'd recommend looking in this direction:
                            http://www.cousinsuk.com/catalog/7/1343/1561.aspx
                            It's also sold as 'Q-Smooth Micro-Burnishing Film', though for a big markup! Again burnishing with leather (though you're arm might fall off in the process) as a final step will produce some very glassy results. At the end of the day though all finishes will wear unless of course you use something much tougher - ie varnish - but personally I don't believe varnish has any place on a cue.

It would be nice to hear from the pro's, rather than simple seasoned 'fiddlers' like myself. Though I guess those chaps didn't get where they are giving away trade secrets .

Comment

I found that your natural oil from your hands can be a good finish. I was told this by a chap who makes gun stocks. when you hands are warm you can rub you hands on the cue and with the oil from the cue and your hands it forms a nice patina. Obviously not a "from the start finish", but on a cue that has been oiled then it seems to work wonders. After all, thats what get on there over time, it just speeds the process up. You may of noticed on old antique cues that they are always shiney and glossy most of the time. But one you work on them the finish will be lost and is a nightmare to get back.
                              sigpic <---New Website
                              Dan Shelton Cues on Facebook

Comment

Working...
                              X