Ebony vs brown hardwood butt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ebony vs brown hardwood butt

I notice that almost all high end cues I have seen so far feature an ebony butt.

There are other hardwood which are also stable, and dense such as Rosewood, Cocobolo, Purpleheart...

How come we do not usually see snooker cues made with these woods?

Do you preceive anything but ebony cheaper?
    www.AuroraCues.com

Personally I'm part of the Cocobolo club

I think ebonys traditional more than anything else, like ash is a tradional wood for making cues in the UK. Interested to hear others opinions
    sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
      I notice that almost all high end cues I have seen so far feature an ebony butt.

There are other hardwood which are also stable, and dense such as Rosewood, Cocobolo, Purpleheart...

How come we do not usually see snooker cues made with these woods?

Do you preceive anything but ebony cheaper?
      i seem to remember mr auld lecturing us all once about all the 'OTHER' woods we could use.

as if we weren't aware of them all...

speaking for myself i've tried them all. they're all good woods. but ebony just ticks all the right boxes. it's more than just that it's been traditionally used.

it finishes well. has lots of natural weight and just looks and feels so nice.

yes, in general, people do perceive other woods on a cue as 'cheaper'.

but it shouldn't be like that. the same work goes into the cue and the relative cost is minimal.

you're obviously doing a lot of market research in readiness for your 'english' cue making venture.

but we're a 'traditional' lot so i would advise you 'copy' the standards. or you may end up working twice as hard for half as much money...
      The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by MikeWooldridge View Post
        but we're a 'traditional' lot so i would advise you 'copy' the standards. or you may end up working twice as hard for half as much money...
        LOL thanks for the advice Mike. I will keep that in mind.
        www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Working...
        X