What is your number 1 wood for splices?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by KeithinFrance View Post
    Cocobolo, Santos Rosewood, Kingwood, Tulipwood and Pau Rosa which I've recently discovered thanks to Dan. I also like Bird's eye maple and Curly maple a bit in spite of myself.
    Hi Keith, do we have to speak with Tony about Pau Rosa?
    Looks nice!
    I am confused... Oh wait... Maybe I'm not...

Comment

Originally Posted by ChatLag View Post
      Hi Keith, do we have to speak with Tony about Pau Rosa?
      Looks nice!
      Too late now, pal. The machine is en route. Next cue, perhaps?!
      Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

Originally Posted by KeithinFrance View Post
        Too late now, pal. The machine is en route. Next cue, perhaps?!
        And the machine is on a good route....
        Next cue? Who knows...

Well, I know.
        I am confused... Oh wait... Maybe I'm not...

Comment

Yes, I'm sure you do! Lol
          Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

My choice will be macassar ebony and dark zebra wood
            Bring Back Clive!

Comment

my personal favorite would be the thuya burr. snakewood looks very nice too

Comment

4 big dollops of tulipwood, complemented with a thick maple veneer
                only cos ive just seen photos of my new cue - and it looks the dogs danglies!!!

...up the clarets!

Comment

Originally Posted by khizzy View Post
                  yes i like zebra wood too,but my next cue is gonna be something in curly maple or birds eye maple splicings.
                  Here you go Khizzy...

sorry pic quality is bad

sigpic <---New Website
                  Dan Shelton Cues on Facebook

Comment

Ebony as boring as it sounds I just love the look of it always have. Cocobolo comes a close second though.
                    -'Don't choke, don't choke, don't choke! aww I knew I was going to choke'-

Comment

Do the splices actually make a difference to cue performance or is just 100% looks?
                      I am wondering becuase different woods have different tonal respones when used in a guitar for example. I know a lot of people love guitars with birds eye maple because of sustain and tone. But I am wondering if the properties of the wood that allow it to have better sustain than other woods would have an affect on the cue during a shot. Would the contact with cue ball be cleaner? I am guessing it doesn't as jointed cues would be dramaticly worse.

Comment

Originally Posted by neptar View Post
                        Do the splices actually make a difference to cue performance or is just 100% looks?
                        I am wondering becuase different woods have different tonal respones when used in a guitar for example. I know a lot of people love guitars with birds eye maple because of sustain and tone. But I am wondering if the properties of the wood that allow it to have better sustain than other woods would have an affect on the cue during a shot. Would the contact with cue ball be cleaner? I am guessing it doesn't as jointed cues would be dramaticly worse.
                        I assume the different wood would change the density of the cue and therefore overall weight but as the contact with the cueball is not with a tip mounted on wood thats usually in the butt of the cue I assume the splices make little differnce to the performance.
                        -'Don't choke, don't choke, don't choke! aww I knew I was going to choke'-

Comment

Every cue will play differently, but yeh I think its mainly aesthetics.
                          sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Originally Posted by brettski View Post
                            I assume the different wood would change the density of the cue and therefore overall weight but as the contact with the cueball is not with a tip mounted on wood thats usually in the butt of the cue I assume the splices make little differnce to the performance.
                            I have thought about this before.
                            I think the different densities of woods will make cues with different splices feel different in the hit.
                            The difference will be subtle, but definitely tangible IMHO.

Comment

Tbh, I really don't think the splices will make a difference in the 'hit' of a cue at all, it's the shaft and the tip that make a difference in the feel of a cue as they are what comes into contact with the cue ball. A maple shafted cue feels different from an ash shaft, but, more importantly, each individual shaft feels slightly different, and then, if you change the tip on a cue you'll get a different feel again. On top of that, you get 1pc cues, 3/4 cues, 1/2 split cues and cues jointed above the splices, which all have different playing characteristics. Splicing at the butt of the cue is really to counterbalance the shaft and for decorative purposes only. There are too many other parameters to take into consideration that will have a more direct effect on the way the cue plays to say that splicing will make a tangible difference to the hit, unless of course you re-splice with balsa wood or something similar! Lol

Comment

Ebony and.... ebony. Did I forget to mention ebony?
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X