Pink Ivory and Kingwood
    Proud winner of the 2009 Premier League Semi-Final Prediction Contest

Comment

Originally Posted by Asi View Post
      Pink Ivory and Kingwood
      When you will have it one day...
      How about your new cue?
      Any news?
      I am confused... Oh wait... Maybe I'm not...

Comment

Originally Posted by totlxtc View Post
        Here you go Khizzy...

sorry pic quality is bad

Did you finally get to use some camphor burl, then, Dan? How did it react? Good to work with?
        Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

Originally Posted by recoil View Post
          Ebony and.... ebony. Did I forget to mention ebony?
          That's funny, I would have thought it would be ebony, maple and ebony?! No? Or is this a different Recoil? Lol
          Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

Originally Posted by KeithinFrance View Post
            That's funny, I would have thought it would be ebony, maple and ebony?! No? Or is this a different Recoil? Lol
            No mate, that's THE Recoil. Lol
            And you're right!
            But we're talking about splices only, not veneers; and btw, did I mention ebony? LOL
            sigpic

Comment

Tbh, I really don't think the splices will make a difference in the 'hit' of a cue at all, it's the shaft and the tip that make a difference in the feel of a cue as they are what comes into contact with the cue ball. A maple shafted cue feels different from an ash shaft, but, more importantly, each individual shaft feels slightly different, and then, if you change the tip on a cue you'll get a different feel again. On top of that, you get 1pc cues, 3/4 cues, 1/2 split cues and cues jointed above the splices, which all have different playing characteristics. Splicing at the butt of the cue is really to counterbalance the shaft and for decorative purposes only. There are too many other parameters to take into consideration that will have a more direct effect on the way the cue plays to say that splicing will make a tangible difference to the hit, unless of course you re-splice with balsa wood or something similar! Lol
              Different woods that make up the splices will have different densities.

As the cue vibrates after striking the cue ball, the different materials that make up the cue will vibrate at different natural frequencies, dependant on their densities. This vibration is what you feel when you strike the ball.

Therefore the vibration, or feel of the strike, will be directly related to the natural frequency of the timber your hand is in contact with. Denser timbers will vibrate at lower frequencies, less dense timbers at a higher frequency.

It is fair to conclude then, that the material you are gripping at the end of your cue, has a direct affect on the feel of a shot.

IMHO.
              Last edited by checkSide; 13 May 2009, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Did you finally get to use some camphor burl, then, Dan? How did it react? Good to work with?
                Ex-TSF member Wity brought some from the US in the end and sent it to me to splice up a four point cue with thick maple veneers. It in the pipeline at the moment. Nicest smelling wood by a mile!!

Camphor burl (for anyone who does not know what it looks like):

sigpic <---New Website
                Dan Shelton Cues on Facebook

Comment

Originally Posted by ChatLag View Post
                  When you will have it one day...
                  How about your new cue?
                  Any news?
                  Not yet mate...not yet.
                  Proud winner of the 2009 Premier League Semi-Final Prediction Contest

Comment

Hey checkside!

Of course you are totally correct, but I just doubt very much that these small differences in density will have a tangible effect, as I don't think anyone has hands so sensitive that they can pick out the difference in feel between, eg., thuya burr and kingwood splicing during a shot, especially when you have to take the tip, shaft and butt reactions into account.
                    IMO.

Comment

Originally Posted by totlxtc View Post
                      Here you go Khizzy...

sorry pic quality is bad

thanks a ton mate
                      RIP NOEL, A TRUE TSF LEGEND.

Comment

Santos Rosewood.
                        "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

Tulipwood and burwood. I also like simple cues with a plain ebony butt.
                          The world's finest doubler

Comment

Originally Posted by spike View Post
                            Santos Rosewood.
                            If you like Santos Rosewood have a look at this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=160335021479

Incredible!

Comment

Beautiful cue but why is he selling a cue he just recieved?
                              sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

I do not have the slightest idea. Sounds really strange.
                                And I hope Trevor has enough Santos rosewood left for my cue on order...

Comment

Working...
                                X