Barracuda Professional cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barracuda Professional cue

Hello everyone- On impulse, I bought this cue without adequate background information. It seems to be standard dimensions for a Barracuda- 9.75mm tip, 17 1/2 oz. weight, 57 3/8" length with a square plaque affixed by 4 screws. It came with an aluminum case precisely fitted to the cue. The major difference from cues shown for sale on websites is that the ash portion extends halfway down the butt(4 spliced) and that the grain matches perfectly from butt to shaft. The original owner says he paid over $600 in the early 90's. Judging from cues currently on sale, this seems doubtful. I probably paid too much at $250, but got to wondering about the history of Barracuda cues. Feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Richard...
    Always good to see Canadian snookeroos here!
    Post pics mate.
    Funny... I had a lovely Barracuda disappear in the early 90's...
    (either stolen or sold/given away by an ex-wife).
    I paid about $300. back in 1985 or so.

=o\

Noel

Comment

are these the same "barracuda" you guys are talking about ?? ebay-370198062715

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAND-NEW-BARR...1|293:1|294:50

these seem toooo gud to be true

Comment

Noel- thanks for the photo suggestion. Afraid I'm ignorant on how to do it. Is snooker still popular in Toronto? It's waning a bit in Vancouver, with 8ball and 9ball growing in popularity.

Comment

Samad- what I heard about Barracuda cues is that they were an innovative design in the 80's and that the company was later sold. They are obviously still making them, but where? China, U.K., I don't know. Is the Kirkham company involved, or were they the old owners?

Comment

Originally Posted by Richard Mc View Post
            Hello everyone- On impulse, I bought this cue without adequate background information. It seems to be standard dimensions for a Barracuda- 9.75mm tip, 17 1/2 oz. weight, 57 3/8" length with a square plaque affixed by 4 screws. It came with an aluminum case precisely fitted to the cue. The major difference from cues shown for sale on websites is that the ash portion extends halfway down the butt(4 spliced) and that the grain matches perfectly from butt to shaft. The original owner says he paid over $600 in the early 90's. Judging from cues currently on sale, this seems doubtful. I probably paid too much at $250, but got to wondering about the history of Barracuda cues. Feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks!
            If it's a Barracuda from the early 90's, it'll be one of the ones that were still made in the UK before the company was sold, so likely to be good. At that point the chief cuemaker was Kevin Muncaster, who has gone on to be a self-employed cuemaker, and who makes cues for, eg. John Higgins. Not a bad recommendation. As for prices, it depends on the complexity of the butt design, but you should know that the current cues are much cheaper than the older ones, being manufactured in China now. I'd say, if you paid 250 CAD, which is around ÂŁ135, or 125 Euros, and if the cue is in mint condition, with case, then it's a good price, especially as those cues must be rare in Canada. Your guy quoted 600 CAD as his original buying price, which is feasible if he bought cue + case + p&p to Canada with 90's exchange rates. I think you got a wee bargain, eh?
            Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

Samad- what I heard about Barracuda cues is that they were an innovative design in the 80's and that the company was later sold. They are obviously still making them, but where? China, U.K., I don't know. Is the Kirkham company involved, or were they the old owners?
              The company was indeed based in Kirkham, and was sold. The old owners have nothing to do with the co anymore, and the cues are being made in China to the best of my knowledge.
              You're also right about them being innovative in the 80's. They also made the best aluminium cases ever, the tournament and match cases which are still very sought-after today.
              Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

Originally Posted by KeithinFrance View Post
                The company was indeed based in Kirkham, and was sold. The old owners have nothing to do with the co anymore, and the cues are being made in China to the best of my knowledge.
                You're also right about them being innovative in the 80's. They also made the best aluminium cases ever, the tournament and match cases which are still very sought-after today.
                does their being based in china make a great diferrence in the level of quality of cues ? the my previous post has a link i was intrested so i was wondering wether it was worth the money .......... thnx

Comment

Keith- thanks a lot for your information- it was most informative. How is the snooker scene in France? Here in Vancouver area we have a thriving seniors' league. Most seniors' centres have 5x10 tables and the quality of play is surprisingly good, not to mention affording good social contacts. Once again, merci!

Comment

Keith- thanks a lot for your information- it was most informative. How is the snooker scene in France? Here in Vancouver area we have a thriving seniors' league. Most seniors' centres have 5x10 tables and the quality of play is surprisingly good, not to mention affording good social contacts. Once again, merci!
                    Richard... say, if you're in Van... do you know michaelm here on TSF?
                    Great guy... just returned to Van after spending some time in TO. and planning on opening a snooker club there!

Send him a PM or I can get you more contact info if you want.

=o)

Noel

PS. do you have pics of tour Barracuda?

Comment

Noel- I sent michaelm a short note and will probably drop in to his club if he has opened it. I'm talking to one of my nerd friends anout posting a picture of my cue. Thanks to my savvy wife(Kemo Savvy?), I have a picture in the computer. Next question is finding out how to get it posted to my thread. Cheers, mate!

Comment

Richard - I'm glad you found my information informative! The snooker scene in France seems to be on the up-and-up, with more and more good players and a thriving junior scene (relatively, of course). Surprisingly enough, snooker is not so popular amongst the grey-hairs (!) but seems to be a young'un's game in France. There is a very good snooker hall in the North of France, where I live, but I'm not too up on what's available elsewhere. I'm glad I was able to help and de rien!

Comment

Hi Noel- How are you? I'm planning a Richmond trip on Monday, so thought I'd drop in on michaelm. Do you have his contact information? Thanks, Richard

Comment

Working...
                          X