Red Oak Shaft???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Oak Shaft???

Mike... will address this question to you as you are signed-in currently.
    The wood of choice for kobuto (traditional weapons of Okinawa) is red oak.
    Used in bo staffs, nunchaku, tonfa... all very hard hitting straight-grained wood, with a taut striking resonance when you hit someone over the head with it.
    Have you, or anyone else tried red oak as a cue shaft?

Cheers!

=o)

Noel

have played with an oak cue. i did not like it.

dunno if red oak would be different but i suspect it may be too hard with little or not enough 'feel'.

great for hitting people over the head though i should think...
    The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Mike, you tried purpleheart shaft?
      www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

no. tbh, i think all the experiments with different woods have been made over the years.

the reason ash and maple are used extensively is cos they have the best characteristics for cues.

i fancy making an ebony cue one day, with ash splices. just for a laugh. reckon it would feel absolutely awful, but look really cool...
        The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

my mates got a ebony shafted cue, quite firm hit of the ball but heavy too., similar to hunt and osborne cues with all weight being in the shaft

Comment

What I want is a curly maple shafted cue...
            sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Originally Posted by RGCirencester View Post
              What I want is a curly maple shafted cue...
              Go and leave one out in this rain and you'll soon get your wish RG hope your doing well mate.
              -'Don't choke, don't choke, don't choke! aww I knew I was going to choke'-

Comment

Have you guys seen these cues? "professional quality cues with a twist" ...
                http://www.aussiebushcues.com/

Their lightest cue is 20-24 ounces but "loses nothing in strength and durability..." lol
                Last edited by eaoin11; 17 May 2009, 12:33 PM. Reason: posted prematurely
                Tear up that manure-fed astroturf!

Comment

Originally Posted by eaoin11 View Post
                  Have you guys seen these cues? "professional quality cues with a twist" ...
                  http://www.aussiebushcues.com/
                  Thats quite amazing, perhaps Ronnie should use one of these cues as his next challange?

Comment

If you think about it we're a strange breed here in this ere cues section... If Mike made an ebony shafted cue we'd all be like "awesome!" but if he painted an ash shaft black we'd tell him what an idiot he is!

Comment

If you think about it we're a strange breed here in this ere cues section... If Mike made an ebony shafted cue we'd all be like "awesome!" but if he painted an ash shaft black we'd tell him what an idiot he is!
                      We are but we're a good bunch of people, I'd be really interested to see how it played and we all seem to think along the same lines.

Comment

I also want a tulipwood shafted cue. I think that would be awesome

Comment

Too pretty to use, you'd be so distracted when you tried to sight, you'd play distinctly badly, I'm sure!

To go back to the original question, I tried an oak shafted cue that Robin Cook made for me, but I couldn't get on with it at all; no 'feel' when you hit the balls, and too dense and heavy for my liking. I'm pretty sure, as Mike says, that Red Oak'd play the same, unfortunately.

There is a guy in New Zealand who makes cues with woods native to NZ and he claims they out-perform ash and maple in terms of 'feel' and responsiveness, woods like rewarewa and silky oak, I think, BUT, his prices make even Mike's cues look cheap at the price.

This is the link: http://www.cuesdirectnz.co.nz/
                          Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

Wow i want a rewarewa cue that looks cool.
                            Expensive though

Comment

Wow i want a rewarewa cue that looks cool.
                              Expensive though
                              There seems to be a recurrent theme to a lot of your posts, young Rob!

Shouldn't you be revising?!?
                              Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

Working...
                              X