Cue making

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by rhubarb View Post
    If only I could afford such things as a CNC lathe... I think that would be taking things a bit far though. While it would be nice to have some kit to make everything easier the CNC route is a bit too hands off for my liking .
    You are so hard to please...
    www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Haha! I'll try to be more open minded in the future

Comment

I'm practicing splicing some pool cues at the moment then gonna tackle a snooker cue. I can't seem to shape the tip of the splice because it gets so thin that the wood i'm using (satine bloodwood) just seem to break into fibres. Can anyone help me??????????

Comment

Originally Posted by Virkokka View Post
          I'm practicing splicing some pool cues at the moment then gonna tackle a snooker cue. I can't seem to shape the tip of the splice because it gets so thin that the wood i'm using (satine bloodwood) just seem to break into fibres. Can anyone help me??????????
          How are you shaping it. Or should i say what abrasive are you using?
          sigpic <---New Website
          Dan Shelton Cues on Facebook

Comment

At a guess you're using a hand plane Virkokka?? Hand planes need careful fettling to perform at their best, if not they tend to tear fibres from the wood instead of cutting or pearing them away.

Comment

I use a oil stone then a leather strop with jewellers rouge on my plane blades. Its sharp enough when you can cut hairs off you arm as a test.

Try oiling the bloodwood. Problem with bloodwood is it can be quite brittle, so adding oil can moisten it up a little. Give it a go. I have found birdseye maple can react the same.
              sigpic <---New Website

Comment

Thanks guys i'll try oiling it a bit and maybe investing in an oil stone. yeah i'm using a hand plane. I've just gotta be a bit more patient ive realised.

Comment

Originally Posted by Virkokka View Post
                  Thanks guys i'll try oiling it a bit and maybe investing in an oil stone. yeah i'm using a hand plane. I've just gotta be a bit more patient ive realised.
                  Good luck mate and all the best. You will get there. Practice, practice practice
                  sigpic <---New Website

Comment

Here's a good link for getting your planes in tip-top nick:

http://www.jarviser.co.uk/jarviser/fettling1.html

I generally hollow grind my irons and then use wet n dry to hone the edge - just google 'scary sharp'.

Steve.

Comment

when I first thought about making a cue I set out and developed a spreadsheet and I still have it. Gives you the taper and balance point and how much lead weight to add and at which point in the cue to add it to achieve the balance. In essence it gives you the blue print to build a cue. This is for a one piece with plain ebony butt. Would not be too difficult to develope it for splices and veneers and such but I guess if i was going to build a cue from scratch this is the way I would go about it. which brings me to the fact that one of these days I am gonna give it a bash just that I am so d**m*d busy

Comment

Cue Doctor on E-Bay is Coutts Cues shop.Recently they had a cue making kit advertised,complete with shaft and splices.They also advertised ebony,burr,coccobolo and something like snakewood for splicing.Why not e-mail and explain what you are trying to do, see if he can help.p.s.they also occasionally advertise tools for woodworking.
                        Last edited by old school; 13 May 2010, 12:36 PM. Reason: spelling correction

Comment

totlxtc
                          Hi Dan
                          My mailbox is yitoubao at hotmail.com.
                          Contact me please when u were free.

Thanks
                          WL

Comment

Originally Posted by old school View Post
                            Cue Doctor on E-Bay is Coutts Cues shop.Recently they had a cue making kit advertised,complete with shaft and splices.They also advertised ebony,burr,coccobolo and something like snakewood for splicing.Why not e-mail and explain what you are trying to do, see if he can help.p.s.they also occasionally advertise tools for woodworking.
                            Thanks for the tip. But I do have a few ideas i want to incorporate with the general way of making cues. Be it handmade or on a lathe. If it works the way i think it should then I will be all the better for it.
                            As for trying initially I would want to try on cheaper woods and perfect what i am doing.

Comment

Working...
                            X