difference between 'A' and 'AAA' Ash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• difference between 'A' and 'AAA' Ash

What is the difference in term of look and feel between 'A' and 'AAA' Ash as mentioned in Mike and stamford site? How to identify it?

I dont really know the difference but know that AAA has more chevrons, and generally tighter grain than A.

good example of top ash

Comment

Originally Posted by mattyuk View Post
      I dont really know the difference but know that AAA has more chevrons, and generally tighter grain than A.

good example of top ash

Is that a cat eating that (your) cue??

Comment

A lot of people would pay preimum price to buy a shaft with about 7 evenly spaced chervons.
        For maple, tighter is better but not for ash.
        I would say for decent ash shaft with a good density, you woudl be paying more for the grain patterns. Like do the grains all point at the tip, are they evenly spaced, what do they look like at the back...
        www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

thanks - that sound correct. I always think the tighter is better, but it is not the case for top range.

Grain patterns can easily be noticed. How do you see the density then.

Comment

I wish that was my cue, I currently dont have one! Gonna have one soon though...

Comment

Originally Posted by alvinalu29 View Post
              What is the difference in term of look and feel between 'A' and 'AAA' Ash as mentioned in Mike and stamford site? How to identify it?
              "AAA" is heavier I guest since AAA = A + A + A or AAA = A*A*A. :P

Comment

thanks - that sound correct. I always think the tighter is better, but it is not the case for top range.

Grain patterns can easily be noticed. How do you see the density then.
                It is mostly the weight. A very light shaft regardless of how beautiful the grains might be, would feel softer than a heavier shaft(within reasonable range of course), provided everything else is the same.

For AAA maple, it is usually desirable to have a piece free of any brown dots, lines or whatever. The lack of visible grains and any blemish is what gives it the top price.

For ash, the darker grains are actually less dense than the lighter part therefore more of those grains actually decrease the density. That is why really close grains is not always desirable. If you watch the cues used by most pros on TV, you will notice that their ash chervons are usually quite evenly spaced and not too crowded.
                www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

still dont get it. chervons can be noticed easily. density and weight are difficult? also, how do i check the lifeless of the ash? it needs to be a bit flexible. (I am ordering my last cue :-> i mean last for today).

Comment

I think you really need a cuemaker or a woodworker's answer to this question, tbh.
                    Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

Trevor discusses some of the issues here.

Comment

Originally Posted by checkSide View Post
                        Trevor discusses some of the issues here.
                        Thanks for that, it was nice to read that again, but it doesn't explain the difference between 'A' and 'AAA' ash. Anyone know the official reasoning?
                        Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

I always thought A grade ash was used to make stock cues and AAA was used for the highest custom models when people specify number of chevrons grain etc.

Where are all the cuemakers hiding?
                          sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

still dont get it. chervons can be noticed easily. density and weight are difficult? also, how do i check the lifeless of the ash? it needs to be a bit flexible. (I am ordering my last cue :-> i mean last for today).
                            You will know if you have seen and tried a lot of cues, it is sort of just something you learn to differentiate as you become more experienced.
                            www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Have a look at Selby's cue, that bloke has more dark grain that white parts on his cue.

Comment

Working...
                              X