Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cue shortening

would like mike or trevor to answer this question in particular

to shorten a cue, would you chop of the butt end or the tip end???

i think it would be the tip end

Comment

Definitely the tip end - then you just re-sand the cue and attach the ferrule again. Super simple. Keep in mind, though, that the more you chop off the larger your tip size will become, since the thickness of the wood increases as you move lower on the shaft.

Comment

to: felipecocco,
        i agree with you, shorten a cue by chopping the tip end would be very simple~

yet,i am wondering if it is possible to shorten a cue by chopping off it butt end...

to me... there must be something special about a cue, in particular the shaft, motivate me to shorten it rather than getting a new one...

if shortening it by chopping off from the tip end, i suspect this act would change the character of the cue as the shaft is shortened and re-tapered.

on the other hand, if shortening it by chopping off from the butt end, i think there would be a high possible of maintaining the character of the cue as the shaft and its tapering remain intact. simple re-weigh or re-adjust the balance a little will be fine. the only problem is the reduction in butt diametre...

any more ideas????

Comment

I have tried to shorten my cues by cutting about an inch off the butt, and I lost about an oz in weight.
          The butt diameter did not change as much as I thought it would, but the weight was really an issue.
          If you cut off the tip end, you still need to retaper the shaft, it is not "that" simple. Done right, you cue should still play the way it should.
          www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Cutting the butt would also completely change the balance of the cue wouldn't it? Because you will lose as poolqjunkie pointed out a bit of weight.
            I think any alterations to a cue will change the feel of that cue and you need to bear this in mind before having a cue altered.
            sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

actually when i got my old cue shortened i was unsure about affecting the balance. trevor told me this would affect the balance but as my cue was forward balanced, it didnt make difference.

chopping abit of wood from the tip doesnt mean you will end up with a bigger tip. you can have any tip size you want as the cue would be re-tapered completely when you have it shortened.

in terms of balance, John told me that although i took off 2 inches, the density of my wood was so little that it didnt really affect the balance at all.

plus just sanding down to put a ferrule on would make the taper way too thick to play with.

Comment

Originally Posted by thai_son22 View Post
                actually when i got my old cue shortened i was unsure about affecting the balance. trevor told me this would affect the balance but as my cue was forward balanced, it didnt make difference.

chopping abit of wood from the tip doesnt mean you will end up with a bigger tip. you can have any tip size you want as the cue would be re-tapered completely when you have it shortened.

in terms of balance, John told me that although i took off 2 inches, the density of my wood was so little that it didnt really affect the balance at all.

plus just sanding down to put a ferrule on would make the taper way too thick to play with.
                Yes, totally agreed.
                www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Working...
                X