Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craftsman Classic cue question

Hi

I bought a craftsman classic cue a few months ago.

It has become very 'sticky' to use and doesnt slide over my bridge hand as i would like. I was assured by craftsman that it was an oiled cue but i suspect it has been laqured.

Any ideas on refinishing the cue, to make it usable again.

Thanks in advance for your advice

Maybe get it refinished by a cuemaker off this site? Mike Wooldridge, Trevor White they are good cuemakers who are on here regularly.

If I were you I would take it back to Craftsman and ask them to refinish it.

Comment

Im thinking of doing the refinishing myself.

Can anyone give me a crash course? What type of oil should I use? Would you advise applying a final coat of wax to the cue?

Comment

I only know of Linseed Oil to mabe refinish a cue. My knowledge o the restoration/making side is limited but the pro's will know for sure.

Comment

Do you ever wipe your cue? First wipe it with a slightly damp cloth, then buff it with a dry one.
          sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

good advice that but i wouldnt damp thn buff all the time as it will just take the finish off over time. but for a quick once over it does the job greatly.

Comment

Watch the pros they will always wipe with a slightly damp towel and then a dry one. They quite often go back to their seats to wipe their cue. Bear in mind *slightly* damp not wet
              sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

yes im saying not do it every time you play though. i mean its up to the player of course, i just wouldnt want my finish ripped off :P

Comment

Originally Posted by jimmypaul98 View Post
                  Hi

I bought a craftsman classic cue a few months ago.

It has become very 'sticky' to use and doesnt slide over my bridge hand as i would like. I was assured by craftsman that it was an oiled cue but i suspect it has been laqured.

Any ideas on refinishing the cue, to make it usable again.

Thanks in advance for your advice
                  I think it's probably wax from craftsman. Every time I've sent a cue to them for repairs etc it's come back waxed. It's nice at first but does get a bit sticky after a while, hence the "squeak" when you wipe it hard with a cloth.

If I were you I'd use a slightly damp cloth/then drycloth several times over until you get a more woody finish.
                  Then you could get superfine micro-finishing finishing paper on ebay. (about £7 with postage) You get 3 papers/grades The finest grade is 30,000 micron , which is about 20 times finer than the final wet-n-dry paper you'd use on a car body. It's only enough to do 1 cue but it is the right stuff for the job
                  Last edited by Mr O; 25 May 2009, 12:30 AM.

Comment

I have heard some people have that kind of problem if cue finished with WAX.
                    lots of finger prints on butt and get sticky.

Comment

speak to simon. (hes a user here) apparently its the oiling and waxing proccess they use. its the only part of craftsman i dont like. get some fine wire wool 0000 and just rub it off. (will be a white powder like substance left on the wool) other than everything is always spot on, an the service is very good.

Comment

Working...
                      X