No announcement yet.

Dark Hprse MYX Design cues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They very often sell for around 26 pound plus 13 postage. And they list about 3 a day, non stop, so how much must the cues actually cost?

Strangely, the 1 piece versions of the same thing tend to go for about 90! And if you write "maple" in the title you seem to be able to expect around 50
    sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
      I personally would not call everyone who dismisses this cue a snob.

The way I look at it if someone can sell these cues for under 50GBP with a case and two extensions, he obviously can make money off this price. Which means the cue is only worth may be 10 GBP or so?

For a manufacturer to make a cue and sell it for 10GBP and make money, the cue would cost him less than 10GBP to make, including all the material--what kind of material and quality should one expect for such a cue?

I am not being snobbish, just realistic.
      true but then again, maybe the cases and the extensions are cheaper than you think. Even so, the point still stands, the quality of a cue only goes so far, 99% comes from the player

Comment

Originally Posted by knox View Post
        Hey, im From Australia

Dark Horse MYX cues are popping up here n there throughout Victoria Australia.

Anyways managed to get my hand on one for $140 AUD which is around... 70GBP. asked around about it n no one had anything bad to say...

do u guys know anything about these cues?
        Hey, Ive been researching MYX, and while well known makers maybe better - it isnt by much. A cue is a tool and all the walnut splices in the world are nothin more than just fancy. The facts are that less than 2% of feedback is bad for the cues - and that is often due to damage to the case during postage. Check the people who buy them and dont worry about superficial details - those who have actually stumped up the cash for one say they are great and are great value. Hundreds of satisfied customers is far more relevent than heresay and opinion. Dont take anybodys word for it - all you need to know from is a couple of clicks away.

Comment

i just ordered one of these MYX cues for 51GBP, around 91 AUD. can't wait to get it.
          its a maple shaft, and i hope it plays better for me than my first cue, a NEIL ROBERTSON replica cue lol

here's a pic of it:
          http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/918887/view/MP1004.jpg

Comment

chunky:

I bought 3 Dark Horse cues to try out and sell to beginners at a decent price if I didn't like it. All 3 cues came with their ferrules too small so I complained to my contact and for just the postage they sent me 3 replacement cues without case and extensions.

In actual fact, one I re-ferruled the 3 rejects I was able to sell 5 of them quite easily and I still have one left. About the only thing I found bad on them was the butts are around 31mm which is a little large for me.

However, the one I have left here plays very well but it has a 'hollow' sound which is sort of off-putting but it is a good and powerful cue with a smooth shaft finish and (I think) a lot of filler and paint on the butt, which looks nice tho. Their price was $135(CAN) delivered with case and extensions and that is about similar to the Aussie dollar, so not really much investment for a decent cue and I would recommend this avenue for any beginner who can learn with a Dark Horse and then once he knows what he really wants then he can consider ordering a better quality cue (or not if he likes the Dark Horse)

Terry
            Terry Davidson
            IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Terry,

Thanks for the info! I've only been playing for about 2 months, so I'm a beginner just looking around for cheap cues to see what's comfortable to me and what i would like out of a cue. The way I see it is that if this cue isn't what I'm looking for, I'll still have a 3/4 case, and I'll know exactly what I didn't like about it, and keep that in mind for another cue in the future

Maybe once I save up some more money, I'll look around on this forum for a cue more tailored to my needs, and hope that they would be willing to ship down all the way here haha.

Comment

Originally Posted by chunkystyler View Post
                i just ordered one of these MYX cues for 51GBP, around 91 AUD. can't wait to get it.
                its a maple shaft, and i hope it plays better for me than my first cue, a NEIL ROBERTSON replica cue lol

here's a pic of it:
                http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/918887/view/MP1004.jpg
                Before I`ve waiting my "Robin Cook" cue - I have bought cue like this, but with ash shaft.
                Overall I was satisfied with the cue, but IMO that cue have a quiet "thin" shaft and quiet heavy on the but (it`s my personal opinion and impressions).

I was wonder when I have opened a cue-case and saw wooden cue was wreathed paint!
                I have to experiment with acetone and sandpaper and got excellent results ( sure it`s for Me!).

If You d`like I can post a photos of my cue?

Comment

Sure, I'd like to see it!

Also, what does your Robin Cook cue look like? And how much did you get it for?

Comment

Sure, I'd like to see it!
                    Tomorrow I`ll post it.

Also, what does your Robin Cook cue look like? And how much did you get it for?
                    ohhhh it`s a Thing! I like it so much!

1) One piece Cue with butt from plain Rosewood
                    2) ash shaft
                    3) length: 57.5"
                    4) tip size: 9.4 mm
                    5) weight: 17 oz
                    6) butt size: 29 mm
                    7) Mini Butt 6" from plain Rosewood

Cost: with customs clearance and some manipulation () about 1000$ (it could cost near 650$ - because Robin did not send the cue by Royal Mail...)
                    Last edited by nideKer; 2 September 2010, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Well, hear they are...

Ferrule come unstuck after two months of play... (I think wood was not quite dry) - but IMO isn`t serious problem... (I`ve repair it myself ).
                      Tip on a cue was terrible - I`ve re-tiped it immediately.

I noticed an interesting thing: (You can watch it on a pictures below) upper part of cue-butt - spliced (higher of joint from brown wood), lower part of cue butt - made from solid wood (!)
                      I thing isn`t a super but "that we have then we have"

Then I`ve made a slight modification of extensions joints - "quick joint"... I think it`s more convenient ...

About long extender ... hmmm after few times of use I broke a plastic threading ... (on a picture below - white plastic) - that I`ve restore by handyman on factory - Now it`s more better than was!

Also about cue case. Case was unreliability. After falling from the top shelf of the train, case nearly fell apart... but, I`m handyman too...
                      I`ve glued all seams by good quality PVA glue (Polyvinyl Acetate) and now cue-case in good condition! (I would recommended You make it right away after received a package)

However, despite these trifles I really like this Cue, and I do not intend to sell it. I left it for my wife...

Before, I had two cues:

1st CUETEC BUFFALO 3/4 JOINT SNOOKER CUE QT413

2nd Riley John Higgins Signature Series Snooker Cue

to compare with MYX, these - swab-stick

Comment

Originally Posted by nideKer View Post
                        I noticed an interesting thing: (You can watch it on a pictures below) upper part of cue-butt - spliced (higher of joint from brown wood), lower part of cue butt - made from solid wood (!)
                        I thing isn`t a super but "that we have then we have"

I think you will find most 3/4 split cues are this way, its only on one piece cues where the shaft runs right thro to the end of the butt.

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                          I think you will find most 3/4 split cues are this way, its only on one piece cues where the shaft runs right thro to the end of the butt.
                          Ohh, thanks! I didn`t know of this.

Comment

Wow, that cue looks pretty nice. I wasn't expecting these cues to be that great considering the price.

Thanks for uploading the pictures. It's a great looking cue. I'll be sure to replace the tip as soon as I get it, and glue the cue case together haha.

Comment

Wow, that cue looks pretty nice. I wasn't expecting these cues to be that great considering the price.
                              Thanks! - however, You will need to spell with acetone and sandpaper ... (be careful!) Because by the first look this cue wasn`t so pretty...

It will be great if You will post a pictures of Your own cue!

Comment

Sorry to bump an old'ish thread, but I'm quite impressed with the photos of the cue.

Has anyone else bought one since this thread was last replied to?

Many thanks,
                                -Matt

Comment

Working...
                                X