No announcement yet.

My new cue - O'min custom Classic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ah ok that's good to know, I can't tell anyways for the love of god!

Comment

Originally Posted by kcohentan View Post
      Hiya,

Hey unclevit thanks for clarifying about the nameplate, I didn't even know that to be honest I just left it to JH Leong to place the order and choose the cue for me and he was very concerned that I get the best quality from him compared to anywhere else.

linglomsri: hmm I paid £160 for my cue which included postage (which was high) from Malaysia. It came with the black telescopic extension and the JH threw in the ebony mini-butt free as it was my b'day For what it is I'm very happy with it

Also, since I'm such a newbie, can anyone tell me if the ash shaft is of a good quality? I can't tell (only ever used cheapo cues hehe) from the grains or what I'm supposed to look out for. However, it is very smooth and what I like about the spaced out chevrons is that there are no "ridges" at all when you are addressing the cue-ball when bridging if that makes sense. The other thing I really liked about it is how it stays snugly to your bridge (or even the rest head), giving greater control on shots.
      Welcome. Since the square name plate is in the premium class, the shaft will also be in that class, i.e. Omin will prioritize the better piece shaft for his premium class cues production too. Yours will be a good one. But shaft grain depends on each individual taste. I have one bought in 1999 (totally handmade by Omin) 'Classic' with black plain ebody butt, nice ash and still dead straight. Though looking like 90% condition, but 100% functional. Mine is round plate, yours should be bettter. What Omin is famous for these days is his balancing method that he keeps to himself. None of his many studio assistants know about this. Play with it, Keep it, value goes up every few years. Good potting.
      It's in the Shaft

Comment

Dear all,

I've just bought O'min cue this week. I'd been to his factory and choose the cue by myself. If you are buying from Thailand, then it is cheaper, of course. Also you can choose the design of the butt and the shaft as well. Their handmade cue starts from Classic, perfect, climax, immagine, union and hunter. I have tried them and chose climax which gave me a solid feeling and control. the above models were good but the price were much different. Our best snooker player, James Wattana, is also using union model.

After you choose the butt's design and shaft, you can come again on the next day to try before finishing. I just tried yesterday and was really satisfied with their quality. Then I have it posted to my home as I did not want to carry it with me back to my town.

The different between these models are the designed butt and the well-kept shaft. The badge can be choose. If you want to change the round badge to square one, then you can add up around 8 pounds. So it means that you can find either round or square badge in the same model.

Comment

Originally Posted by TT_andaman View Post
          Dear all,

I've just bought O'min cue this week. I'd been to his factory and choose the cue by myself. If you are buying from Thailand, then it is cheaper, of course. Also you can choose the design of the butt and the shaft as well. Their handmade cue starts from Classic, perfect, climax, immagine, union and hunter. I have tried them and chose climax which gave me a solid feeling and control. the above models were good but the price were much different. Our best snooker player, James Wattana, is also using union model.

After you choose the butt's design and shaft, you can come again on the next day to try before finishing. I just tried yesterday and was really satisfied with their quality. Then I have it posted to my home as I did not want to carry it with me back to my town.

The different between these models are the designed butt and the well-kept shaft. The badge can be choose. If you want to change the round badge to square one, then you can add up around 8 pounds. So it means that you can find either round or square badge in the same model.
          I totally agree to you that buying at the factory, not only that you can do the test, but bargaining on the price, and also can ask for any small alterations (and perhaps don't pay extra $$ for additional service). Omin is a very friendly maker/seller. Square plate if installed originally with the cue, it's meant for premium quality. I never have square plate cues, but all with round (I bought in 1999-2002 of which round plates were the only design he had then). Not only Thong (Wattana) plays her medium cue, but many more Asian professional players too. Days ago I also visited MasterCues showroom (this factory is closer to my home than Omin's). Witnessed a number of young Indian players (flying in purposely to buy cues from this brand) choosing M/C there. They went back with very nice Ash Shaft, Splices, 3/4 pc. Cues, and fine quality leather cases too. Good cue makers never stop selling their works !!! BTW, I am ordering a custom maple cue from a professional chinese maker - I have seen and tested his cue once and Oh My God, it is really good in balance and craftmanship, the wood he used too - paying less than P.80 for 3/4+mini butt+leather case, no extension. Now I don't mind the brand that much as per my earlier days. If the cue fits me good after a couple of frames, then I'll keep it. This chinese cue will have the same specs with my previously fitted bce 102 heritage specs. I just want another maple cue for my collection. Good potting Krub Khun Andaman.
          It's in the Shaft

Comment

Hi Unclevit,
            Hows your new maple cue doing? Haha... I hope our new custom cues is in top quality too~ :snooker:
            I've heard some of my friend saying, maple shaft is less stiff than ash... I cant recall which webpage I've saw, its indicate that maple vibrates in "S".. While ash vibrate the other way... Issit true?
            I used to own a maple cue, find it stiff and good, too bad it was damaged...
            Hi Ho The Merry Yo, The Black Went In The Hole~ :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Fisherboi View Post
              Hi Unclevit,
              Hows your new maple cue doing? Haha... I hope our new custom cues is in top quality too~ :snooker:
              I've heard some of my friend saying, maple shaft is less stiff than ash... I cant recall which webpage I've saw, its indicate that maple vibrates in "S".. While ash vibrate the other way... Issit true?

hi 'maverick' :
              1. Maple cue is good. Times away from those ash lines. Improving
              2. From my experience, Stiffness in Ash or Maple depends on where you get the wood. Ash with tight lines, growing on the mountains, maybe stiffer than Maple growing at the sea-level. And vice versa. Wood Maturity is another factor.
              3. I saw Steven Hendry playing with a maple cue, and his powerful screw backs caused the shaft to bend in a 'curve' and not an 's'. Vibration in 'S' looks as if you are hitting the tip against the wall, not cueball Warp might be the case, but I saw both an Ash, and a Maple, shafts warped in lightly 'S' format.
              4. If your original maple cue is gone, order a new one. Last night I saw UT has, quietly, kept some maple shafts (unplained) in his private stock. Might ask one for myself too. Soon
              It's in the Shaft

Comment

Heya,

Yea I had my reservations about the badge as well, and in fact was posting earlier prior to the cue arriving if it were possible to de-badge it. However, after seeing the cue in person it's not all too bad. Having said that, I'd still prefer a round logo badge but I'm not gonna fuss with it atm. The case was purchased from www.uniquecues.com (there is a english version of the site). Cost me £110 including postage from HK to UK, which I thought was a good deal.

Was searching for cases like that, but the leather ones (including Peradon) are usually in the range of £140-150. Would give an arm and leg for a Cheddar Classic aniline (tan brown colour) case but costs way too much for the cue I have The unique logo is embossed into the leatherette case, and it feels very sturdy and nothing moves in the case when it's all fastened up. The case took about 3-4 days to arrive after payment, which is pretty fast. Hope that helps

edit: while I'm at it, may I ask if I brought the cue to a cue-maker to be refinished (and oiled) will it retain it's glossy look after play? I know it's purely cosmetic, but just really want to keep my cue in a nice condition. Just applied a coat of linseed oil to the cue (looked a bit dry to me) and hopefully it turns out well.
                Hi. Please see your PM for information sharing
                It's in the Shaft

Comment

Originally Posted by unclevit View Post
                  hi 'maverick' :
                  1. Maple cue is good. Times away from those ash lines. Improving
                  2. From my experience, Stiffness in Ash or Maple depends on where you get the wood. Ash with tight lines, growing on the mountains, maybe stiffer than Maple growing at the sea-level. And vice versa. Wood Maturity is another factor.
                  3. I saw Steven Hendry playing with a maple cue, and his powerful screw backs caused the shaft to bend in a 'curve' and not an 's'. Vibration in 'S' looks as if you are hitting the tip against the wall, not cueball Warp might be the case, but I saw both an Ash, and a Maple, shafts warped in lightly 'S' format.
                  4. If your original maple cue is gone, order a new one. Last night I saw UT has, quietly, kept some maple shafts (unplained) in his private stock. Might ask one for myself too. Soon

Hi Unclevit,

I'm not "maverick"~
                  Hahaha... too many order till you got it mix up.
                  I'm Desmond, just order 2 Omin Classic cues from you, remember??
                  Dun sent our cues to different address ya~!?? hahaha....

Regards,
                  Desmond.

Comment

Hi. Please see your PM for information sharing
                    I will have UT, Dan, MW and TW cues by next year...yearrghhh...!!!!
                    My cueing sucks

Comment

Cost me £110 including postage from HK to UK, which I thought was a good deal.
                      How long time did it take for the cue to arrive?
                      #Age: 22 HB#: 82 #Cue: Mike Wooldridge Vintage Cue # Tip: Mike Wooldridge BlackSpin #Best performance in tournament: Semi-final in an "open to all" Swedish tournament 2015, Swedish U16 tournament champion October 2007 #Current rank in Sweden: 15

Comment

Hi Unclevit,

I'm not "maverick"~
                        Hahaha... too many order till you got it mix up.
                        I'm Desmond, just order 2 Omin Classic cues from you, remember??
                        Dun sent our cues to different address ya~!?? hahaha....

Regards,
                        Desmond.
                        I mean you. Fishing for barramundi is like gambling. Either win or lose
                        It's in the Shaft

Comment

I mean you. Fishing for barramundi is like gambling. Either win or lose
                          Yup, caught this 3.5kg bass and 4kg GT with a 4pound braided line... Haha...
                          Just like the trill when the line gona bust, and let these babies drag till they tired~ haha...
                          Same like snooker, know if you gona miss the shot if you dun concentrate enough, the opponent gone strike he's chance... :snooker:

Comment

Yup, caught this 3.5kg bass and 4kg GT with a 4pound braided line... Haha...
                            Just like the trill when the line gona bust, and let these babies drag till they tired~ haha...
                            Same like snooker, know if you gona miss the shot if you dun concentrate enough, the opponent gone strike he's chance... :snooker:
                            It must be spyderwire fusion line, for sure. Anyway, CONGRATULATIONS
                            It's in the Shaft

Comment

You can get both stiff and whippy pieces of ash and maple. Every cue is unique. I have heard peopel say they prefer the sound of ash vs maple or vice versa, some peopel find the grain on ash distracting.
                              The "S" shape I believe is specifically related to how they tend to warp. I think in general ash will warp in one direction, however maple is more likely to warp in an "S" shape. But there arn't many professionals playing with warped cues (I believe Ken Doherty is one that does) so if it warps its probably time to buy a new cue!
                              sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Originally Posted by RGCirencester View Post
                                You can get both stiff and whippy pieces of ash and maple. Every cue is unique. I have heard peopel say they prefer the sound of ash vs maple or vice versa, some peopel find the grain on ash distracting.
                                The "S" shape I believe is specifically related to how they tend to warp. I think in general ash will warp in one direction, however maple is more likely to warp in an "S" shape. But there arn't many professionals playing with warped cues (I believe Ken Doherty is one that does) so if it warps its probably time to buy a new cue!
                                Totally agree to you that all Ash/Maple woods have their own 'playing' personalities.

BTW, now I feel that 'lots of arrows' ash cue tend to give me 'distraction' during the cueing action. Very little playing on Maple shaft. Anybody can share their experiences, playing with Ash vs Maple ?
                                It's in the Shaft

Comment

Working...
                                X