Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by willytan View Post
    Hi,

I got words from my frd who is real close to a certain cuemaker in Thailand that some of John Parris is done in his workshop then ship back to UK to be re-badge under JP.

Just like to ask around if this is true... Cos i saw a JP traditional replica from the same Thailand factory and it cost only a fraction of what JP listed on its website.

Can anyone out there provide any light to what i have said?

well , i had visited a local dealer of omin cues in mumbai,and he showed me a cue which was almost finished , it was styled like a traditional,it didnt have a badge and a ferrule,he said that omin makes half finished cues and jp does the finishing on them.

but i do have my doubts.i will be visiting bangkok to get a few cues made by omin so i'll see for myself.
    RIP NOEL, A TRUE TSF LEGEND.

Comment

parris does state on his website he is not associated with any other cue makers.

Comment

Hi,

I got words from my frd who is real close to a certain cuemaker in Thailand that some of John Parris is done in his workshop then ship back to UK to be re-badge under JP.

Just like to ask around if this is true... Cos i saw a JP traditional replica from the same Thailand factory and it cost only a fraction of what JP listed on its website.

Willy,

Kindly look at my thread, tell me what you think?

http://www.thesnookerforum.com/board...ad.php?t=18593

Comment

Hi,

I say this is all BULLS***

Comment

Very smart comment too, you dont have to be associated with anyone to buy materials from them, if JP does buy partially finished cue blanks, he is certainly not alone and that does not seem to bother those who buy his cues they are all after a logo disc and not a cue anyway.

Comment

Originally Posted by JP1 View Post
              Very smart comment too, you dont have to be associated with anyone to buy materials from them, if JP does buy partially finished cue blanks, he is certainly not alone and that does not seem to bother those who buy his cues they are all after a logo disc and not a cue anyway.
              That's true for many people these days, but there are a lot of fustrated players like myself out there who know how a good cue plays, but have extreme difficulty in finding one that suits them. About 10yrs ago every Parris cue I saw had awesome, well seasoned ash that played very responsively, but they were pretty rare and expensive to get in oz.

At that time, they were the nearest thing to a sure bet, and Parris is still profiting on the strength of the cues he used to produce. In my honest opinion his decline comes as much from an increase in production and competition, as from the ever increasing difficulty of sourcing quality ash/maple.
              Tear up that manure-fed astroturf!

Comment

Hi,

I would like to see the site

I am having the hardest time to understand physics behind a straight cue. If a cue is straight tapered all the way to the butt, which many cues still are, AND it is straight, there should be absolutely no reason for it to wobble and appear warped when rolling, with butt connected. The cut-off at the end of the butt is behind the center of gravity of the cue, it should play no role at all in the appeared warpage of a straight cue. It appears to me that cue makers are using this as excuse for the warpage when rolling. Simply put, before the cue gets the cutoff at the end, it will roll just as warped, or as straight, as it will after the butt gets the cutoff.

It's that simple, doesn't matter how you look at it.

good handcrafted cues sometimes cannot achieve a perfectly straight taper, this should be the only valid reason for a meant-to-be straight tapered cue appear warped while rolling. However, back to the point, the cue is meant to be straight tapered and will be a straighter cue if it rolls straighter.

Finally, while people who only support "looking down the cue" as the sole method judging the straightness of a cue, because a warped cue can appear (roll) straight and vice versa. I will say there is a GREATER chance for people to look down an actually warped cue and tell me it's straight. I tested it by finding a warped cue (The shaft alone rolls very warped, and rolls more warped with butt connected, it is no doubt that it is VERY warped) and told many to look down and most couldn't tell much, I myself can't tell much either.

You can only see so much by looking-down, yet by rolling a meant-to-be straight tapered cue on the table, tells you the slightest bent or imperfections at the joint or taper (NOT the cutoff at the butt!)
                I think getting a straight-as-possible cue is very important for people who are beginning training their stroking technique, for advanced players you can have a little leeway on that. Ken Doherty got used to a warped cue and I believe when he switches cues he'll have a hard time because his stroke techniques are too adjusted to a warped cue. and that's not good.

Comment

why isn't my earlier reply showing

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue_Seeker View Post
                    why isn't my earlier reply showing
                    hi there and welcome to TSF.
                    sometimes, when you are under 10 posts, a post may not appear due to an administrator ruling of some sort.
                    just keep on trying
                    all the best
                    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                      hi there and welcome to TSF.
                      sometimes, when you are under 10 posts, a post may not appear due to an administrator ruling of some sort.
                      just keep on trying
                      all the best
                      Thanks, I can't seem to view people's profile or PM anyone either, I don't know what to do lol. Last time i used forums (2 years ago) nothing was like this.

Comment

Working...
                      X