Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• different types of ash wood?

Hi all

Rather new here as I just discovered this forum.

I recently purchased a DUNNS cue. However, the type of ash is really different from the OMIN that I already have.

DUNNS looks more shiny and plasticky while OMIN looks dark and feels more like wood.

Any experts here to explain why this is so?

that may be down to finish more than the wood ???
    the dunns sounds like it may have a laquer/varnish finish while the omin is likely to have an oil finish finish which can sometimes make the wood look darker/golden or aged ????
    when using the dunn cue does the shaft get sticky/tacky after a while ?? if so its probably varnished or laquered ...
    http://s974.photobucket.com/albums/a...new%20project/

Comment

yes. it gets sticky / tacky after awhile. However it hits and play well.
      Any idea how to get rid of the stickyness?

Comment

youll have to re-finish the cue ..look in the search bar and theres plenty on how to do it ??
        http://s974.photobucket.com/albums/a...new%20project/

Comment

Originally Posted by nukihz View Post
          Hi all

Rather new here as I just discovered this forum.

I recently purchased a DUNNS cue. However, the type of ash is really different from the OMIN that I already have.

DUNNS looks more shiny and plasticky while OMIN looks dark and feels more like wood.

Any experts here to explain why this is so?
          I never possess any Dunn cue, but thinking of ordering one soon. Omin uses oil on his shaft and butt. His own 'secret' formula (I think it's a combination of linseed and other type of wood oil using by carpenters in Thailand - guess). But it's good. I bought one small bottle and applied it on his old cues that I have. But you need to wipe off a few times before use. Cues are back to live !! Hope this helps.
          It's in the Shaft

Comment

thanks for the advice given so far.
            A guy at the snooker joint said that probably the shaft wood is pretty young.
            Looking to sell my OMIN and DUNNS cue before getting another one.

Comment

Hey bro,
              If u wanna do something to rip it off the stickiness to the cue, I can help u with that.
              Last edited by willytan; 19 March 2011, 03:43 PM.

Comment

I may be intersted in buying one of your cues let me know price and specs when you come to sell

Comment

Why you want to sell Omin's ? Just curious to know
                  It's in the Shaft

Comment

Willy, thanks for the offer. will contact you soon.

As for selling of the Omin, I think that the cue is a bit too light for me. Can't feel anything when i strike the ball. (maybe its my technique that's wrong though). Its a Omin Perfect Cue. Not sure how much I can offload it for.

Am looking at customizing another Omin or MasterCue. Any recommendations or contacts?

Comment

Willy, thanks for the offer. will contact you soon.

As for selling of the Omin, I think that the cue is a bit too light for me. Can't feel anything when i strike the ball. (maybe its my technique that's wrong though). Its a Omin Perfect Cue. Not sure how much I can offload it for.

Am looking at customizing another Omin or MasterCue. Any recommendations or contacts?
                      Yes, Omin or Mastercue mostly comes out in 17.5-18oz. Their customers are mostly serious players/pros that will play for hours or 10+ frames at a time, so this not-too-heavy size can help them to stand through the match without breaking their arms. Sell it at the cost you paid is reasonable. Best is to carry it to your club and let friends try it. Faster. Omin and Mastercue always come up with new productions, but Mastercue 'Connoisseur-s' is the most beautiful, well played, cue I have ever seen (I know collectors here who owns 50+ cues each and they agree to this beauty and quality of 'Connoisseur-s'). Ask your seller and if you can get it for US$420-$450 includes delivery, it's a great deal. Good Luck
                      It's in the Shaft

Comment

Originally Posted by unclevit View Post
                        Yes, Omin or Mastercue mostly comes out in 17.5-18oz. Their customers are mostly serious players/pros that will play for hours or 10+ frames at a time, so this not-too-heavy size can help them to stand through the match without breaking their arms. Sell it at the cost you paid is reasonable. Best is to carry it to your club and let friends try it. Faster. Omin and Mastercue always come up with new productions, but Mastercue 'Connoisseur-s' is the most beautiful, well played, cue I have ever seen (I know collectors here who owns 50+ cues each and they agree to this beauty and quality of 'Connoisseur-s'). Ask your seller and if you can get it for US$420-$450 includes delivery, it's a great deal. Good Luck
                        17.5 - 18 oz? so its not too heavy and customers can stand?!?! man some of the stuff u come out with.

ive played 10+ hours in a 19+oz cue

selling at the cost u paid? LOL man i dont know anyone who can do that

Comment

Originally Posted by thai_son22 View Post
                          17.5 - 18 oz? so its not too heavy and customers can stand?!?! man some of the stuff u come out with.

I have to second this.. do you know the actual difference in weight 17.5 and a 20 oz cue? Its noticeable when playing but its not exactly weight lifting is it!
                          The most important thing is the balance of the cue... Weight is personal preference.
                          sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Originally Posted by thai_son22 View Post

thats what happens. to me 19+ is heavy already. to us lighter is preferred
                            It's in the Shaft

Comment

personally I think its the balance of the cue. I have tried two 1-pc cue before and i think they are very forward weighted. ie the cue slides forward easily.

I can't feel the same though for 3/4 cues.

Comment

Working...
                              X