Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

customizing cue from Thailand (O'min & Mastercue)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• customizing cue from Thailand (O'min & Mastercue)

Hi,

I was wondering (UK & Euro members) how do a rate a Thailand made cue from O'min or mastercue?
    Price apart, how do u rate them in term of workmanship & quality?

I m currently using a custom made cue from mastercue. It is well balanced & the craftmanship is wonderful. It has improved my game since I got it abt 7mths ago. My local rep only charged me £20 extra for the customization & service charge.
    I can't really find any fault in it.

Without doubt, they will Nvr be able to match those famous makers such as TW, MW, JP or H&O. But for the price of btw £150- £200, u are getting a superior quality cue compared to a entry level cue or shelved cue, plus without the extended waiting time of min. 8-12wks.

What do u have to say?
    Is a UK made cue better than a Thai made cue?
    Is the brand on the cue makes u a better player or the craftmanship of the maker?

Just wanna know more.

1 pc mastercues are very good.I myself use one.
    I tend to find the master cues stiffer then UK made cues.
    Maybe its something to do with where there wood comes from,Asian ash is stiffer.
    My deep screw shot
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHXTv4Dt-ZQ

Comment

cant say i have used o'min and mastercue but i use to have a "unique" cue which was very good.

finish wise, i rate the top end UK cue makers higher, but playability wise, i havent played with many better UK cues and would choose the thai made over them based on price.

Comment

For both the balance, and splice works, I think both Omin and Mastercue are better. Buying price depends on your connection, if buy direct from factories. I have seen plenty of 'excellent 8 to 12 splices' work from makers. Costs much less than European's. Good wood too (very well matured, treated, etc.). Chinese are not good in wood and balance, and most of them are sticks. But their splices work on butt are close to Thailand's, in premium class. Yesterday I have seen Omin's 12 splices, snakewood butt, very good balance, that buyer has paid US$400 for it (but we will believe if he said he has got it for US$600!! - too bad that man was gone before I could ask more)
        It's in the Shaft

Comment

Can any locals(UK or europe) comment on that?

so do you order a local cue bcos the maker is in-country which is with accessibility and better knowledge or for the price & quality?

If I m to stay in UK, I will definitely order a local maker such as H&O, TW or MW to save on the postage charges & taxs.

But like I said earlier. With that lesser or equal amount of money(currency rate), for a Snooker player out of euro, I find that thailand offer the best money for value cue in term of quality & craftmanship in my opinion.
          Last edited by willytan; 21 June 2009, 12:48 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by willytan View Post
            Can any locals(UK or europe) comment on that?

so do you order a local cue bcos the maker is in-country which is with accessibility and better knowledge or for the price & quality?

If I m to stay in UK, I will definitely order a local maker such as H&O, TW or MW to save on the postage charges & taxs.

But like I said earlier. With that lesser or equal amount of money(currency rate), for a Snooker player out of euro, I find that thailand offer the best money for value cue in term of quality & craftmanship in my opinion.
            Totally agree. Today I went to Mastercue office/showroom. They just finished their new lot of handmade series..'Connoisseur-s'. 12 splices, 8 splices, etc. Very beautiful Ash shaft + great spliced butt + 1pc and 2pcs. I look carefully at the butt quality, it's just one of the greatest craftmanship I have ever seen. Very nice details everywhere. 17.5oz. and well balanced. 57 and 58 in. White square plate (their premium series). Tagged for US$428- net. Too bad, my camera is not with me. So temptating that I need to do quick budget for at least 2 cues (they display some 8 cues in this series + many round plates in the price range of US$120-150 - only splices on the plate side) and also with very fine handmade details everywhere. These are the best I have seen this year from cues made in Thailand
            It's in the Shaft

Comment

You can see the mastercue connoisseur at greenbaize ltd too. They look pretty flash but something different, and I like the style of the badge. Perhaps a collectors item in the future as I haven't seen many of them about.
              Tear up that manure-fed astroturf!

Comment

Originally Posted by eaoin11 View Post
                You can see the mastercue connoisseur at greenbaize ltd too. They look pretty flash but something different, and I like the style of the badge. Perhaps a collectors item in the future as I haven't seen many of them about.
                I just callled the lady at the sales counter, asking for the red splices 'connoisseur-s' 12-splices model that I have seen yesterday. She said it's gone I may have to order another one, but they can give the same ready-made price, with some discounts. Only 24 hours late Enthusiasts should go a have a look at the store you mentioned. Make sure it's the 'connoisseur-s' version, and you'll love it
                It's in the Shaft

Comment

i used to play with an omin,playability and finish wise they are on par with any uk cuemaker,total value for money,if i were to visit bangkok i would definately get an omin made.
                  RIP NOEL, A TRUE TSF LEGEND.

Comment

Originally Posted by khizzy View Post
                    i used to play with an omin,playability and finish wise they are on par with any uk cuemaker,total value for money,if i were to visit bangkok i would definately get an omin made.
                    Agree. I just came back from Thailand 6-Red National championship. Almost all of them used to own at least a foreign cue, and at present they are playing with either Omin, or Mastercue customs. I have seen final round entries using local cues made by an 'unknown' cuesmith' ? Asked my coach, he said "this cuesmith never opens himself, he's working for a private richman who has deep interest on cue collection". Saw one of his cues today. Snakewood + Tulip + Red Oak + ebony, totalling 12 splices, 3/4, on a very fine Ash shaft. Heard that he orders his own wood from around the World to do his private collections. The cost for this cue is about US$450 (now I am reluctant between Mastercue's Connoisseur-S and this one!!)
                    It's in the Shaft

Comment

Customizing of cue allows indiviual to custom a cue depending on ones preferrances i.e. weight, lenght, balancing point to maxi. the playiablity of the snooker player.

The complexity and design of the splice & material used is just cosmetic to the cue, it does not add anything else to the cue ablity for the user.

The brand of the cue may increase ones mental ability but physical ability wise very much depend on the user.

Comment

Originally Posted by willytan View Post
                        Customizing of cue allows indiviual to custom a cue depending on ones preferrances i.e. weight, lenght, balancing point to maxi. the playiablity of the snooker player.

The complexity and design of the splice & material used is just cosmetic to the cue, it does not add anything else to the cue ablity for the user.

The brand of the cue may increase ones mental ability but physical ability wise very much depend on the user.
                        Agree But if you like the beauty of the cue you have, the tendency to play better is a good psychological benefit Like a lexus or hundai, both can take you places, but the feel of driving it is different
                        It's in the Shaft

Comment

6-7 months ago , I got a custom made GBL cue from Green Baize, so far I can't find any fault in it.
                          compared with uk product, I have to said Very well made, wonderful playability, excellent in craftsmanship , best money for high quality cue and the very very important is GBL can make to my measurements absolutely correct.

There is not an advertisement, I highly recommend GBL to anyone !:snooker:
                          My will get my second GBL custom made cue in the end of June or in the beginning of July.

Comment

Working...
                          X