Where is ash wood grown?? and Chevron question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is ash wood grown?? and Chevron question

With all the discussion about ash the last few days here I was wondering where is ash for cues grown, I searched on line but only came up with nothing very specific. Maple for example is grown in a wide area but what is suitable for cues comes from smaller areas, I was wondering if it was the same for ash.

Also on a similar realted topic, I recieved my Parris "Ultimate" cue about a month ago, its a lovely cue. I counted the chevrons on it and there are 8. Its a 58" cue and one is very very small at the tip, It would have 7 if it was 1.5" shorter. the grain is straight, form end to end. Also the point is centered perfectly with the bottom chevron which gives it a very nice look, the width of the chevron is the same as the point the symetricy(is that a word??) of the grain of the ash and point is fantastic. Did I mention I love my cue??

Is 7 chevorns lined up with the point a standard in a sah snooker cue, please forgive my lack of experience, If anyone has questions about American cues I'm very knowlegable. But I have very little experience with proper snooker cues, and spelling correctly.

my best

eric

I would be glad to email a picture of my cue to anyone who would be knid enough to post it here, I am not so good with computers.

thanks

eric

My email is : EP90210@hotmail.com
    Last edited by Fatboy; 23 June 2009, 11:19 PM. Reason: added email addy :)

Comment

On behalf of Eric.

Pictures of his Parris Ultimate.
      Attached Files

Comment

very nice piece of ash
        RIP NOEL, A TRUE TSF LEGEND.

Comment

lovely... don't leave this with the table when you sell yer palace

Comment

Nice shaft.
            I have heard that some people also look to see if the grains are very close to parallel on the side of the ash, and that the back of the shaft should have the reverse pattern or no grains. Just preference regarding cosmetics.
            www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by 1lawyer View Post
              lovely... don't leave this with the table when you sell yer palace
              oh no, Its comming with me, a table is the easy part, The offer didnt come in on the house yet, its a long story(it might need a theme song too ). But When I do sell this house I plan on leaving the table(unless the buyer dosent want it).

When I ordered this cue I had a idea of what I wanted-I have played with a few snooker cues before and knew what I didnt want(less than 58" or real light), I spoke to Mr. Parris for a few minutes and told him about myself and experience with pool cues, how ling I have been playing, my standard of play, etc. He paid careful attention and asked a few questions. I made it clear that I am a "Wood geek" I live wood and I wanted the best ash possible, cost wasnt a issue, I only wanted a ebony butt with no bells and whistles, the look of natural wood was second to playability to me. He understood and this is the cue I recieved.

I couldnt be happier, I was pretty sure the cue would feel right to me, and was hopeing the balance etc was what I wanted. When I picked it up and put it together I knew I was good, I doubt that I will ever need to change cues or make any changes to it. My friend Johnny Morra from Toranto made a total clearance with it(on the line up using 3 colors and 15 reds the first time he ever hit a ball with it) he did fluke in one blue about half way through the clearance. 33 pots in a row-we didnt use the baulk colors.

Another friend Alan Morris(who helped me order the cue) knocked in more than a few centuarys with it. Now I NEED to do that!!! I thought that was pretty good for both of them to play like that with a cue they never used, they sure are good players.

Thank you very much for posting the pictures,

sorry about my spelling, Its the best I can do.

best
              eric

Comment

Sold the house, left the table behind-took the cue with me.

I do miss the table(s), however I dont miss Vegas one bit.

Not sure where i'm going to end up next. I been floating this past year sorting out some biz deals. Soon enough i'll be sticking a flag in the ground and setting up a new life, very exciting.

Kindest regards to everyone,

Eric

Comment

Glad to see ya back here again. All the best with sticking the flag!!

Comment

Amazing looking shaft on that ultimate.

Comment

Working...
                    X