Finish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finish

I want to ask is it common to have some kind of residue left on your hand from the cue after playing a few frames of snooker?
    Is that the wax used by some cue makers, or what is it?
    Anyone has such experience?
    www.AuroraCues.com

I guess it depends on the finish and how long since it's been applied. A wax or oil finish will wear off onto your hands for a while after it's been applied. The purpose of either is to adhere to and protect the wood, if there's a built up surface layer it'll rub off - doesn't stick quite so well to itself .

Steve.

Comment

I don't know about residue, but dirt film...definitely.

Comment

It usually happens with new cues or a freshly oiled cue. The first time it happened, I thought the cue maker hadn’t buffed the cue properly. Obviously I was wrong because it has always happened when I’ve oiled my cue. I have even left the cue for a couple extra days to let the oil penetrate more, but it doesn’t seem to matter.

Mike

Comment

Is it normal that a players hand kind of turn black after using a new cue for a few frame from this new finish?
          I am not awared that oil will do this?
          www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Maybe its an ash finish

OK that was bad -.-
            sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Originally Posted by RGCirencester View Post
              Maybe its an ash finish
              OK that was bad -.-
              well I actually thought that was very witty

but going back to the original question, with an oiled or waxed cue, my hands start to feel a bit greasy after a while but that's all ...

never black ...

and please DO NOT think I'm being racist because I'm not but could I ask you PJ what your ethnicity is? for instance, if you are a native African, I wouldn't be too worried if I were you if your hands are black ...

Comment

Yes my hands have also had a dark residue on them after playing. I have found that buffing the cue with cheese cloth helps. The oil seems to stop seeping after about a week of playing.

Mike

Comment

Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
                  Yes my hands have also had a dark residue on them after playing. I have found that buffing the cue with cheese cloth helps. The oil seems to stop seeping after about a week of playing.

Mike
                  Err........ Whats a cheese cloth ?

Comment

Cheese cloth is a very absorbent lint free cloth often used for staining or French polishing wood. In Canada it can be purchased at any hardware store. A good paper towel or anything with a high absorbent quality would have the same results.

Mike

Comment

Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
                      Cheese cloth is a very absorbent lint free cloth often used for staining or French polishing wood. In Canada it can be purchased at any hardware store. A good paper towel or anything with a high absorbent quality would have the same results.

Mike
                      Thanks........ I wonder why its called cheese cloth though

Comment

Cheese cloth was or is used for straining cheese.

Mike

Comment

Again at a guess... it's either grime thats built up on the cue and dissolved into the fresh oil.... or if the cue's clean it's not impossible that it's grain filler, again dissolved by the fresh oil - though I'd be a little worried what had been used to fill the grain if that's the case.

Comment

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
                            Is it normal that a players hand kind of turn black after using a new cue for a few frame from this new finish?
                            I am not awared that oil will do this?
                            what cue are you talking about pq?
                            The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Working...
                            X