No announcement yet.

Who Is the Best Cue Maker? Vote here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like Materbreak147 had already mentioned early in this thread, unless you have the money and time and tried several cue's, hand made and not how would anyone know
    "which is the best". I know a guy who has made 147's with a $17 Canadian cue.
    I don't think it makes any difference in the qualitity or price of a cue if you are a
    good player. And if you are a poor player you could have a" great feeling" 1000 pound
    cue, and guess what? You would probably still be a poor player!

Comment

Let's Settle This Once and For All!

Here's my excellent idea.
      I draft a list of exact cue specifications and submit them to all the top 10 [ are there 10 ? ] cuemakers.

By "exact" I mean ferrule material and diameter, shaft type, grade and colouration of wood, number and orientation and spacing of chevrons if in ash, shaft and butt diameters measured every 6" by caliper, joint type and postion, butt materials, including diagrams of splicings and veneers required, SD joint type, mini butt details, exact weight and balance point required.
      To insure anonymity all badges would be covered over before and during testing.
      Furthermore, my assistant would be receiver for all cue shipments and separate all identifying transit materials before testing.
      All identical requisitions for test cues would be sent out simultaneously.
      Additional points would be awarded on the basis of arrival date.
      Testing would be carried out over a matter of weeks with full photo-documentation and a complete report submitted to TSF rating each cue in lavish detail for the use of all.

Just as the cuemakers wouldn't charge me for their samples, which I get to keep, I wouldn't charge TSF for all my blood, sweat and tears contribution to cue knowledge.

The merits of this idea are so obvious I think a Poll would be unnecessary.

=o)

Noel

Comment

Originally Posted by bob1 View Post
        I don't think it makes any difference in the qualitity or price of a cue if you are a
        good player. And if you are a poor player you could have a" great feeling" 1000 pound
        cue, and guess what? You would probably still be a poor player!
        Yep....well it was 750 pounds but still a poor player..

I cant believe no one has mentioned Keith Auld???

Comment

Did not really give a suggestion regarding stocking your store. I would go with that
          cue that several have mentioned that Steven Hendry used, and stress the story.
          Also as others have mentioned the really expensive hand made cues would probably
          not be available at least in large supply.

p.s. for the guy in Toronto who thinks he looks like Richard Gere!!

To Richard , Mr. large coloured Font. Like all of your threads I don't read
          them so nice try, as soon as I see your name I delete it.
          Your friend Burt Reynolds.

Comment

now now children, lets shake hands and be civil

Comment

????????????????????
              The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by MikeWooldridge View Post
                ????????????????????
                I'll second that Mike.
                Originally Posted by MikeWooldridge View Post
                ????????????????????

=o|

Noel

Comment

2 different meanings

You don't need to have the best cue in this world to be the greatest snooker player...but also you don't even need to be a good player to have the best cue in the world....

Each and everyone of us here deserves to say who is the best cuemaker...and I still Mike Wooldridge still the best...FOR NOW....

Done.
                  My cueing sucks

Comment

Originally Posted by brendan147 View Post
                    Even though I don't have MW's or JP's or TW's cue, but I think MW cue still the best in the market...for now...
                    and that's why your contribution is irrelevant... :P

Originally Posted by brendan147 View Post
                    You don't need to have the best cue in this world to be the greatest snooker player...but also you don't even need to be a good player to have the best cue in the world....

Each and everyone of us here deserves to say who is the best cuemaker...and I still Mike Wooldridge still the best...FOR NOW....

Done.
                    nobody mentioned playing skills of the owner. the thread was about craftmanship. and the respective differences, which ARE measurable... but not for guys not having the cues available.

Comment

Originally Posted by Krypton View Post
                      and that's why your contribution is irrelevant... :P

I don't see your contribution here is irrelevant as well...

nobody mentioned playing skills of the owner. the thread was about craftmanship. and the respective differences, which ARE measurable... but not for guys not having the cues available.
                      So what? I still want to say MW cue is the best in craftmanship...because I like his splice works...
                      My cueing sucks

Comment

And how do you rate his splice work, and compare it with JP, TW and so on, if you don't own a cue of the guys? not even of MW himself?

by pictures? or by cues of your mates?

Comment

And how do you rate his splice work, and compare it with JP, TW and so on, if you don't own a cue of the guys? not even of MW himself?

by pictures? or by cues of your mates?
                          Buy a stranger (and a rich foreigner guy) who was once playing in our local club here. I forgot his real name but he (Joe) is from UK who temporarily work here (something to do with mega project bla bla...I can't recall...and I don't really care...all I care was his MW cue during that time)...and more important, also a snooker gig...like all of us here...

He is the one who introduce me the MW cue (which I never heard before)..

SATISFY...dude?
                          Last edited by brendan147; 27 October 2009, 01:31 PM.
                          My cueing sucks

Comment

no. I still think you can not compare these cue makers' work when you've just seen one single cue of one of them so far...

But if you think that qualifies you to do so, I obviously can't change your mind.

(I, speaking for myself only, have had cues from JP, TW, MW and RO in my hands (and many others) and STILL think there are so many different aspects in cue making that you can't tell which one is 'generally' better than another, as I like most of them for one thing, but dislike another aspect of the same cue... - oh yeah, and I don't like JP at all, but that's personal)

Comment

no. I still think you can not compare these cue makers' work when you've just seen one single cue of one of them so far...

But if you think that qualifies you to do so, I obviously can't change your mind.

(I, speaking for myself only, have had cues from JP, TW, MW and RO in my hands (and many others) and STILL think there are so many different aspects in cue making that you can't tell which one is 'generally' better than another, as I like most of them for one thing, but dislike another aspect of the same cue... - oh yeah, and I don't like JP at all, but that's personal)
                              Can you tell me why you don't like JP cue at all? As far I concern, JP only use his touch for the pro's only, for the commercial cues, they are made by his workers. The quality wont be the same. Dont get me wrong, I am just guessing. Thats why I never thought to buy JP cue at first place.

Unlike MW or TW, they are really making cues for their customers using their own bloody and hairy hands...lol. And can you tell me what's the different between MW and TW then? The good and the bad...can you share them with me here?

Thanks.
                              Last edited by brendan147; 27 October 2009, 02:37 PM.
                              My cueing sucks

Comment

you can get a JP cue made by him personally, if you're willing to pay...

What I don't like about JP:

- the 'aggressive JP-forerver-fan-community' of all our chinese guys here who believe JP is the best by a huge advance

- all JP cues I had in my hands so far have a terrible finish, compared to MW, TW

- all JP cues I had in my hands so fare are very butt heavy and not balanced the way I like a cue to be balanced. Some might like it, I don't.

- the 'aggressive JP-forerver-fan-community'

- the splice work is certainly good, but nevertheless, I've seen too many JPs with frayed looking veneers/splices, compared to other makers' cues.

- the 'aggressive JP-forerver-fan-community'

- the politics: promote cues by giving half a dozen to a pro, let him chose the one he's the least unhappy with, alter it, make another dozen, till he finds one that comes close to what he needs. Then tell everybody (who doesn't want to know) that 'pro xyz is playing with our cue', a fact that "- the 'aggressive JP-forerver-fan-community' " is very willing to use as another argument why JP certainly is the best cue maker there's ever been. Neither TW nor MW have ever promoted their work in such an offensive way, which is the way I like it to be. It's personal, I know. But for me, I go by:
                                If you're good enough, people will contact you and ask for a cue to be made, because the KNOW it will be good, not because they've been told it should be good.

- oh, and don't forget - the 'aggressive JP-forerver-fan-community'

rant over.

I like the finish of the two Trevor White MAST cues I've got here at the moment. It's just perfect, the ash cue feels like a perfectly finished maple one almost, so smooth. And the maple one is far ahead of everything I've seen, even better than my maple MW playing cue which I think is well finished too.

Splice work on all the MW and TW is perfect, of course. There have been enough pictures to prove that - but then, to be VERY honest, it's not even important for the playing characteristics, 'only' for the looks

Comment

Working...
                                X