Who Is the Best Cue Maker? Vote here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Krypton View Post
    I like the finish of the two Trevor White MAST cues I've got here at the moment. It's just perfect, the ash cue feels like a perfectly finished maple one almost, so smooth. And the maple one is far ahead of everything I've seen, even better than my maple MW playing cue which I think is well finished too.

Splice work on all the MW and TW is perfect, of course. There have been enough pictures to prove that - but then, to be VERY honest, it's not even important for the playing characteristics, 'only' for the looks
    Enough for JP stuff then...so are you telling me that TW cue (ash shaft) have a better and smoother finishing compare to MW ash shaft cue?

I mean, come on...if you see in MW site his most expensive (probably the best) cue will cost GBP750. What do you think? I don't think MW simply put his cue price as this high if his craftmanship doesn't meet the quality. I just need your opinion here. No arguement.

Oh yeah...by the way, we don't have to be the best player to appreciate the quality/beauty of the craftmanship right? Some people in this world who are crazy about cars collecting ferrari or mercedez or lamborghini in their garage but they are still driving like novices. We are on the same boat with them...

Can you post your TW cue pics here? I want to have a look at it. Thanks.

Keep in touch
    My cueing sucks

Comment

please read carefully what I write, and what I don't. I don't want my words to be mixed up...

I said this, and nothing more:

- The TW ash cue is very smooth. better than a few maple ones i've seen so far, from OTHER makers. I didn't compare it with my MW maple, but it comes close - not past

- I said nothing about a MW ash, because I don't own one and have only had a few in my hands so far. I can't compare it to TW. I just said TW is about perfect in this aspect.

- The TW maple feels certainly smoother than the MW one, but I still like the MW better, for other reasons

Then, I'll add now:

- The most expensive MW you can order costs more because of the additional splicings. the shaft of the 'cheapest' custom made one is equally good, and equally well finished.

- The price seems to be your number 1 argument - forget about it. IF MW is more expensive than another, that doesn't make his cue better. GBP 750 is just a number (and a lot of money), but the cue is good because it's well made, not because it wears a gbp 750 price tag.

- I'm having a custom MW done, currently. Maple. when it's done, I expect the finish to be at least as good as my actual MW, maybe better, as I got the actual one used, and it was very dirty, the guy didn't look after the finish very well.

- my actual playing cue is a jointed MW with ebony butt, no additional splices, and therefor the 'cheapest' model. you know the price. the one he's making for me will have splices, and be more expensive. but the extra money is for the splicings, I don't expect it to be 'better' because it's more expensive.

- I expect the new one to fit my playing style better, as i chose the specs myself - but still, it could turn out i stick with my actual cue, you never know.

- different finishes mean different feelings, but what you like will vary from what I like. smoothness isn't everything. you pick up a cue and know if you like it. My maple MW is well finished, and all the specs and the balance fit me very well, but still I'd change a few things, if I could. Then, after I got the TW maple one, the first thought was: WOW, what a finsih! It runs so smooth that after touching a, lets say JP roof lath, I got to examine my hands - there might be shivers...
      - and yes, still the TW maple feels even a lot smoother than the MW maple, but as I said - that's a used one. I'm looking forward to the fabric-new MW maple one like a small boy for christmas (it even should be done before christmas).

I'll take pictures, but that will take a while
      Last edited by Krypton; 28 October 2009, 08:58 AM.

Comment

please read carefully what I write, and what I don't. I don't want my words to be mixed up...

I said this, and nothing more:

- The TW ash cue is very smooth. better than a few maple ones i've seen so far, from OTHER makers. I didn't compare it with my MW maple, but it comes close - not past

- I said nothing about a MW ash, because I don't own one and have only had a few in my hands so far. I can't compare it to TW. I just said TW is about perfect in this aspect.

- The TW maple feels certainly smoother than the MW one, but I still like the MW better, for other reasons

Then, I'll add now:

- The most expensive MW you can order costs more because of the additional splicings. the shaft of the 'cheapest' custom made one is equally good, and equally well finished.

- The price seems to be your number 1 argument - forget about it. IF MW is more expensive than another, that doesn't make his cue better. GBP 750 is just a number (and a lot of money), but the cue is good because it's well made, not because it wears a gbp 750 price tag.

- I'm having a custom MW done, currently. Maple. when it's done, I expect the finish to be at least as good as my actual MW, maybe better, as I got the actual one used, and it was very dirty, the guy didn't look after the finish very well.

- my actual playing cue is a jointed MW with ebony butt, no additional splices, and therefor the 'cheapest' model. you know the price. the one he's making for me will have splices, and be more expensive. but the extra money is for the splicings, I don't expect it to be 'better' because it's more expensive.

- I expect the new one to fit my playing style better, as i chose the specs myself - but still, it could turn out i stick with my actual cue, you never know.

- different finishes mean different feelings, but what you like will vary from what I like. smoothness isn't everything. you pick up a cue and know if you like it. My maple MW is well finished, and all the specs and the balance fit me very well, but still I'd change a few things, if I could. Then, after I got the TW maple one, the first thought was: WOW, what a finsih! It runs so smooth that after touching a, lets say JP roof lath, I got to examine my hands - there might be shivers...
        - and yes, still the TW maple feels even a lot smoother than the MW maple, but as I said - that's a used one. I'm looking forward to the fabric-new MW maple one like a small boy for christmas (it even should be done before christmas).

I'll take pictures, but that will take a while
        So you currently have 1 MW maple, 1 TW ash and 1 TW maple. What are their specs?

You said "The TW maple feels certainly smoother than the MW one, but I still like the MW better, for other reasons..." Explain more please?

Seems to me you are really cue collector...mate...I hope you can tell me the different between TW ash and MW ash someday...as well as other aspect between these 2 cues.

Thanks and K.I.T.
        My cueing sucks

Comment

Originally Posted by brendan147 View Post
          You said "The TW maple feels certainly smoother than the MW one, but I still like the MW better, for other reasons..." Explain more please?
          there's nothing to explain. I like the balance, shaft thickness and taper, butt taper of the MW better.

Comment

there's nothing to explain. I like the balance, shaft thickness and taper, butt taper of the MW better.
            Where is ur cues pictures? Still working on it?
            My cueing sucks

Comment

some people got work to do...

returning late, gettin up early, don't expect em before saturday.

there have been enough links to pictures of T White's work. And you know M Wooldridge's homepage, so... there you go.

Comment

and finally...

My pictures, posted in the 'official' thread for them

Comment

stevens cue was a power glide with rex williams name on it .

Comment

Hi Krypton, did you get your MW refitted with the new butt joint? Is it a one peice or 3/4? I can't see any sign of a hidden join..

I have a one peice '07 CC2 so was curious.
                    Tear up that manure-fed astroturf!

Comment

i described thst all... it's jointed. you can see it in the pics.

Comment

(in the pics in the zip-archive you can see that cue un-screwed)

Comment

Originally Posted by garyng147 View Post
                          in my opinion, this one

I love how Mike Wooldridge puts his name on the butt joint!
                          Only bacause of that I want to buy one of his cues! ))))
                          I wish I had money....Maybe some day... )))

Comment

(in the pics in the zip-archive you can see that cue un-screwed)
                            Ok found it. That's a very comprehensive archive you have there.
                            Tear up that manure-fed astroturf!

Comment

Working...
                            X