Drill press

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill press

My first batch of snooker cues are near completion. I need to get a drill press to put the badge on.
    I have never used a drill press before and I am a bit worried about what to get.
    My badge is about 16mm, and I am wondering if anyone could please let me what to look for, and what NOT to get.
    I am kind of thinking of getting a mini drill press because all I ever really need is to make a 16mm hole about 3mm deep. But then there are laser guide, vise and so on on some models I have seen. Are they necessary?
    I am kind of hoping to get a smaller one to save space and since the workshop is still being set up I may need to move things around quite often so I do not want to buy something really heavy.
    I know it is probably not a big deal but since it is something I have never used before, I want to be more careful.
    I would hate to ruin the cues in the last minute when trying to put the badge on.
    Advice please...
    Thank you.
    www.AuroraCues.com

to start out why dont you just use a standard flat wood boring bit available for a few £,s[sorry dollars] in any diy store that will fit any electric drill.practice on scrap wood clamped to bench until you are confident to let loose on you cues.when you have made your first million £ then buy a fancy machine and let your 100,s of staff use it!! p.s.first part of reply was serious.

Comment

As you remember i got a old antique hand drill press. This does absolute wonders!!! I tried a electric drill press but found the speed too fast (Even on a lower speed setting). The torque this thing has is phenonimal. Plus as its all manually operated you have a whole lot more control. I dont agree with the idea of using a hand drill. Its not acurate enough and if you are off angle then you have wonky badges.

Look for a very good forstner bit. Dont buy cheap (The one in the pic was cheap and its not that great), get yourself a quality piece that is saw toothed and well made. Id recommend this >> http://www.rutlands.co.uk/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/1622012

sigpic <---New Website
      Dan Shelton Cues on Facebook

Comment

Thanks for your reply.
        Dan, do you clamp your cue when you use your press? I am asking because I see that some comes with some sort of a vise to hold the object in place. For a cue that is very long, I am not sure how well that would work.
        When you first showed this picture of your hand press I did not know what you were talking about but now I do, and I think something like that would do the job for me. But I also think perhaps an automatic drill press is not a bad idea either. Totally agree that the cutter is very important.
        The drill press you show is quite an antique, isn't it? I am not sure if it is easy to get one like that in Canada?
        I see some for sale locally for about USD$100 to $200, so it is not really somethign that would break the bank. I also notice one made in Dutch that is kind of a mini drill press but it also allow the SD hole at the end to be drilled. Forgot the brand name, it is like Proxxx or something like that.
        www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Working...
        X