Custom Cue Quotes. Good Value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Cue Quotes. Good Value?

Hi all. I asked welsh pool trading for a quote after recommendations here.
    I asked for 62" Ash Cue with ebony butt and single rosewood splice, 9.5mm tip, 30mm butt with a case and mini butt extension. And custom name disc.
    They said £200 Posted.
    But others on here have had better woods etc. and payed less than £160. Does anyone know any cue makers that make cues of good quality at a low price?

Originally Posted by andyt1992 View Post
    I asked for 62" Ash Cue with ebony butt and single rosewood splice, 9.5mm tip, 30mm butt with a case and mini butt extension. And custom name disc.
    They said £200 Posted.
    But others on here have had better woods etc. and payed less than £160. Does anyone know any cue makers that make cues of good quality at a low price?
    I should think Mastercue , Mastercraft will give good value for money . i think other here did not include case and extensions in their price ........ but can't say for sure

Comment

Mine was 160 posted 4 tulipwood splices and tulipwood mini butt. No case or custom name badge so thats where the extra money is coming in. I would still consider it good value.
      Last edited by RGCirencester; 14 July 2009, 01:26 PM. Reason: Fails at typing -.-
      sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Sounds like a very good price to me. I bought a "perfect1" cue from WPT earlier this year and am very happy with it.
        “There are a lot of good players capable of winning the title but as long as I’m still in it they’ve got a headache.” Stephen Hendry

Comment

That's a good price.

Comment

They said £200 Posted.
            thats a good price !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally Posted by Dan27 View Post
              That's a good price.
              I thought it was a joke. My uncle got a custom cue to his spec and a case for £90 and it is a beautiful cue in looks and play, cant remember where he got it. Will probably say where on his cue.

Comment

Spoke to mastercraft and their price is £130 + 8.95 postage without a case. but i dont mind buying a cheap case 2bh i can get one for £15.

Comment

They said £200 Posted.
                  It is definately cheap and reasonable.

Do take into considerations that you are customizing a 62" cue which is not very common(usually 57"-59")quote me if i m wrong.
                  Additional of single splice is usually ard 25GBP alone.
                  You even have a customed name disc(ard 10GBP) a mini butt and case (easily >35GBP) plus it will be posted.

What better deal do you expect from such a fine cuemaker?

Comment

I thought it was a joke. My uncle got a custom cue to his spec and a case for £90 and it is a beautiful cue in looks and play, cant remember where he got it. Will probably say where on his cue.
                    You cannot say it is a joke as this is a good price for what you have requested. Look at the top cue makers and the price will be far beyond that.

If you really dont want to spend much money then craftsman classic range would be an option though i don't know if you'd get one in your required length.

http://www.craftsmancues.com/acatalo...ssic_cues.html

Would your Uncle's cue be a Peradon or Cue Craft? Peradon are rated by some though I've heard a lot of complaints about the finish getting sticky, and Cue craft really arn't what they once were imo.
                    I would much rather go with mastercraft or welshpool than either of these. And I don't find it that hard to justify a little extra expense on a cue given the length of time and enjoyment you get out of it.

The case is also important as a good case will last you a long time and it is important to protect your cue.

Can I ask if the mastercraft quote was with the mini butt and custom name badge? Because if not if we take 140 as mastercrafts quote (which sounds pretty much the same as you would get from welsh to me), add a tenner on for name badge, 20 for the mini butt, then you are only paying 30 for the case, which will likely be far superior to the 15 pound case you are considering.
                    Even if the mini butt is included 50 is still not expensive for an aluminium case.
                    Last edited by RGCirencester; 14 July 2009, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Be wary having your own name badge, if you wish to sell it at a later date, it will put alot of people off from buying it.

Comment

But it also makes it easier to identify if stolen

Comment

Best then to make sure you're absolutely happy with it, before you send it back to get it personalized, postage wont be much if its jointed you only need to send the butt

Comment

Originally Posted by RGCirencester View Post
                            Would your Uncle's cue be a Peradon or Cue Craft?

Can I ask if the mastercraft quote was with the mini butt and custom name badge? Because if not if we take 140 as mastercrafts quote (which sounds pretty much the same as you would get from welsh to me), add a tenner on for name badge, 20 for the mini butt, then you are only paying 30 for the case, which will likely be far superior to the 15 pound case you are considering.
                            Even if the mini butt is included 50 is still not expensive for an aluminium case.
                            Uncles cue was handmade somewhere near manchester, will let you know when i next speak to him and ask where.
                            Mastercraft is inc mini butt and name disc and the case i can get is an aluminium which i've seen in a well known online store for £40 (not sure which) If i were to go for any atm it'd be mastercraft for £138.95 posted. cant really be beaten for that price.

Comment

Welsh Pool Trading is a good solid company and BITTER builds a great cue for the money.
                              I have friends who have his cues and told me they are very responsive and solid.
                              I think his pricing is really low. He is, in my opinion, a class above craftsman and mastercraft, because his cues are built by him (Paul) while the other two aforementioned companies are production companies which build cues with a team of workers. Having said that, it is not to say a cue built by a single person will certainly play better than a cue built by a team of people--but most people tends to associate a higher value with a cue by a cue maker rather than by a company, plus sometimes, a single person operation may pay closer attention to details and offer better quality.
                              I do not think Welsh Pool Trading is in the business of price matching, and without looking at the quality and trying out the cue, it is really unfair to say which cue gives you the "best" value for your money.
                              If you are looking for the "best value", there are some cues on ebay with extensions and case for about 50 pounds (Kevin Sherland, MYX, ...etc). You can check them out and they might work for you. They are made in China but they are really good value in my opinion.
                              www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Working...
                              X