Custom Cue Quotes. Good Value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by andyt1992 View Post
    Uncles cue was handmade somewhere near manchester, will let you know when i next speak to him and ask where.
    Mastercraft is inc mini butt and name disc and the case i can get is an aluminium which i've seen in a well known online store for £40 (not sure which) If i were to go for any atm it'd be mastercraft for £138.95 posted. cant really be beaten for that price.
    you seem only to go to a cue maker based on price.

biggest mistake your making there mate.

thats what i think anyway

Comment

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
      Welsh Pool Trading is a good solid company and BITTER builds a great cue for the money.
      I have friends who have his cues and told me they are very responsive and solid.
      I think his pricing is really low. He is, in my opinion, a class above craftsman and mastercraft, because his cues are built by him (Paul) while the other two aforementioned companies are production companies which build cues with a team of workers. Having said that, it is not to say a cue built by a single person will certainly play better than a cue built by a team of people--but most people tends to associate a higher value with a cue by a cue maker rather than by a company, plus sometimes, a single person operation may pay closer attention to details and offer better quality.
      I do not think Welsh Pool Trading is in the business of price matching, and without looking at the quality and trying out the cue, it is really unfair to say which cue gives you the "best" value for your money.
      If you are looking for the "best value", there are some cues on ebay with extensions and case for about 50 pounds (Kevin Sherland, MYX, ...etc). You can check them out and they might work for you. They are made in China but they are really good value in my opinion.
      poolqjunkie : I got one JX Chinese, paid 30 pounds for whole set (3/4,mini,extension,aluCase). Very nice Ash grain, Splices Work, changed the cue tip to Elk and it plays good. Don't know if the shaft will be straight for how long, but will worth its price if stays for 6 months. Still, my favourite is a 1999 Omin Classic
      It's in the Shaft

Comment

unclevit, where did you get that from. Link please, my younger brother is using a rileys paul hunter cue that was about £15 and its falling apart, and its his birthday this month.

Comment

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/JX-sup...Q_fsubZ7135378
          sigpic <---New Website
          Dan Shelton Cues on Facebook

Comment

Originally Posted by andyt1992 View Post
            unclevit, where did you get that from. Link please, my younger brother is using a rileys paul hunter cue that was about £15 and its falling apart, and its his birthday this month.
            andyt1992 : I think totlxtc has the link (thanks). The one I got plays good, but don't know about the wood age that it can stay straight for how long (ash lines are pretty too). Considered the package, especially the alu case, it's worth the money spent (I think the majority of the alu cases selling now are made in China too - including many leatherette and leather). But if you can spend more, you will get a cue that MAY last much longer - if not stolen. JX cue is from my own experience only. BTW I buy cues for give-away, mostly.
            ...More... if your brother don't mind chinese cues, check these sellers in ebay store "Silvestrawberry" and "mllife". They offer a good value package. But don't know if the cue will be playable for how long. Think they are good, and I will buy a set from them for kids to try here. Omin and Mastercue are simply too expensive for my 'free gifts' to beginners Good Luck
            Last edited by unclevit; 16 July 2009, 01:17 PM.
            It's in the Shaft

Comment

no cues worth the money if it only stays strait for 6 months... whats the point in geti ng used to a cue only for it to turn to crap. just buy one thats decent in the first place, and save yourself money in the long run!

Comment

Agree. But paying 30 pounds for a set (3/4 + mini butt + extension + alu case) is worth the money spent, I think. The case itself is quite good and costs at least 20 pounds if buy separately. By the way, I just came back from a club, and a kid is playing this JX cue, and he managed to pot 4-5 blacks, on and off, between frames. The butt is too heavy, and too big, though. But since he can play with it, I have gifted him. But he will need a more solid one sooner or later, I think. For sure, I am not going to buy another chinese set, taking your kind advice. I have a personal cuemaker (agreed today) and he is doing splices in snakewood + ebony for me
                It's in the Shaft

Comment

Originally Posted by unclevit View Post
                  Agree. But paying 30 pounds for a set (3/4 + mini butt + extension + alu case) is worth the money spent, I think. The case itself is quite good and costs at least 20 pounds if buy separately. By the way, I just came back from a club, and a kid is playing this JX cue, and he managed to pot 4-5 blacks, on and off, between frames. The butt is too heavy, and too big, though. But since he can play with it, I have gifted him. But he will need a more solid one sooner or later, I think. For sure, I am not going to buy another chinese set, taking your kind advice. I have a personal cuemaker (agreed today) and he is doing splices in snakewood + ebony for me
                  not worth the money i dont think. any cue that goes bent isnt. plus the case in question.. i have one. poorest quality i have seen. well compared to others i have. break very easily and the foaming is cheap and low quality.

Comment

£200 for that set is a great price. Absolutely no doubt.

If your uncle got a custom made cue from quality materials handmade in this country for £90 I'm an astronaut!

I know we all have budgets etc etc and are looking for the best we can get within that budget, I also know that occasionally a cheap cue turns out to be a player.

For me though, unless someone knows what they are doing with cues they should be playing with quite a few until they more or less know their specs, then if they get a cue made to those specs by a reputable maker they should have a cue that will do them a long, long time.

Comment

Originally Posted by thai_son22 View Post
                      not worth the money i dont think. any cue that goes bent isnt. plus the case in question.. i have one. poorest quality i have seen. well compared to others i have. break very easily and the foaming is cheap and low quality.
                      Thank you for the input. For ONLY 30 pounds, gifting this cue set to a kid :
                      1. I am happy to see his smile when receiving it (he is my driver's son).
                      2. But agree that it won't last long, I have promised to custom make an Omin cue for him whenever he can do 5 blacks break. I don't mind to spend a big budget on this (his father has been my driver since 2005, I think I am a good boss anyway).
                      3. By the way, the cue case is strong, and professional refoaming the interior will cost not more than 5 pounds here. But if the hinges break, I can also gift him an Omin case too.
                      4. The set is brand new, and what I can see up till now is all positives (except that the butt is a bit too heavy for me, but not for the kid). But if it's just turn bad next week, it's only 30 pounds spent for the experiment, that I can share with You and Friends here
                      Last edited by unclevit; 19 July 2009, 12:58 AM.
                      It's in the Shaft

Comment

Thank you for the input. For ONLY 30 pounds, gifting this cue set to a kid :
                        1. I am happy to see his smile when receiving it (he is my driver's son).
                        2. But agree that it won't last long, I have promised to custom make an Omin cue for him whenever he can do 5 blacks break. I don't mind to spend a big budget on this (his father has been my driver since 2005, I think I am a good boss anyway).
                        3. By the way, the cue case is strong, and professional refoaming the interior will cost not more than 5 pounds here. But if the hinges break, I can also gift him an Omin case too.
                        4. The set is brand new, and what I can see up till now is all positives (except that the butt is a bit too heavy for me, but not for the kid). But if it's just turn bad next week, it's only 30 pounds spent for the experiment, that I can share with You and Friends here
                        £30 wasted if your going to get him another cue why not just get him a custom made cue in the first place. because he cant pot 5 blacks?

Comment

Originally Posted by thai_son22 View Post
                          £30 wasted if your going to get him another cue why not just get him a custom made cue in the first place. because he cant pot 5 blacks?
                          Thanks for input. I don't know how serious is he entering this sport. I told him that I will make a good one for him but he has to show me 5 blacks first - incentive, kind of. But don't worry, 30 pounds is nothing to me
                          It's in the Shaft

Comment

Thanks for input. I don't know how serious is he entering this sport. I told him that I will make a good one for him but he has to show me 5 blacks first - incentive, kind of. But don't worry, 30 pounds is nothing to me
                            I agree with you Unclevit. Not the price to be concerned when it was a gift. It was given with your willing so I think the kid will be very happy anyway. When I get my new cue, I always love to play with it and enjoy. The target of 5 black is another thing. It is good to set it and I believe that the kid will try his best to achieve it anyway. The best thing is like you always say "It is you not a cue."

Comment

Originally Posted by TT_andaman View Post
                              I agree with you Unclevit. Not the price to be concerned when it was a gift. It was given with your willing so I think the kid will be very happy anyway. When I get my new cue, I always love to play with it and enjoy. The target of 5 black is another thing. It is good to set it and I believe that the kid will try his best to achieve it anyway. The best thing is like you always say "It is you not a cue."
                              TT_andaman : Thank you for your input. Yes, to encourage a kid to start this sport + his smiles receiving it is a big reward for me, and his father. I always dine at our Oriental Hotel, so 30 pounds are really nothing to me, you know that. By the way, people are saying chinese cues are 'good' some are 'bad', so I want to experiment (to kill my curiosity too) and learn the answer by myself. This cue seems alright to the kid, but I will definitely buy him a good Omin very soon (that he shows me 5 blacks - he needs to fight for it). You will know too that Chinese cues are everywhere in Europe, some with their 'never-heard' names on, while many are behind good brands. What will happen if they can do cues at the same quality level with Omin and Mastercue ? I have seen a very good one for only 60 pounds a set !! But if you buy on line, or by phone, trust the well known brands (though it's made from China). And if you like Omin cues, you are lucky because you can go and hand-pick, and test, your cue before you pay, without mailing it back and forth. Swasdee Krubb
                              Last edited by unclevit; 19 July 2009, 11:13 PM.
                              It's in the Shaft

Comment

You will know too that Chinese cues are everywhere in Europe, some with their 'never-heard' names on, while many are behind good brands. What will happen if they can do cues at the same quality level with Omin and Mastercue ? I have seen a very good one for only 60 pounds a set !! But if you buy on line, or by phone, trust the well known brands (though it's made from China). And if you like Omin cues, you are lucky because you can go and hand-pick, and test, your cue before you pay, without mailing it back and forth. Swasdee Krubb
                                It would be awesome if Chinese cue maker can come up with Omin or master cue level. We will have many choice to choose from in Asia and not to get cue from England and waste on postage. I never play with master cue before but only Omin (for Thai hand made). I found that the cue feeling is very solid and well balanced. The only thing that annoy me is the tip size. Omin recommended me getting the tip size of 9.7 mm but I wanted to have 9.5 mm. Do you think I should get it back and have it redone at 9.5 mm? I don't feel very confident when using screw. Please advise.

Kob Khun Krub..:snooker:

Comment

Working...
                                X