New cue purchase imminent....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New cue purchase imminent....

Ok so Im thinking of a new cue fairly soon, if I'm totally honest since the early 90's I've always loved the look of the cue that Jimmy White & Steve Davis used and I think they still use it today.

I just like the traditional look of the cue and also the longer 16" butt section which I've read apparently makes these cues heavier than normal.

Apparently it is a Parris Ambassador cue?

To be honest I considered buying one, but I've read many times on the forum that Mr. Parris does indeed make great cues but perhaps similar quality can be had for less money.

I like the look of the Panther cue from Craftsman:

http://www.craftsmancues.com/acatalo...ard_range.html

But then I've also read that right here on the forum Trevor White and ADR147 are well respected cue makers and could put together something similar.

I guess im looking for some advice for those in the know.

Thanks

Hi dpdubai,

any cuemaker can make you a cue to your spec more or less regardless of if the cue is jointed at 16" or not. the 16" i would think is more to do with balance than weight.

i actually saw a guy with a parris cue the other day and it was brand new. must say it was a very good example. however when i was at his workshop, some were good, some werent as.

when you pay top end prices please bare in mind you arent just paying for "playing" qualities. you are also paying for attention to detail and more higher quality woods being used such as darker ebony etc.

trevor is considered top end in cue making and i am currently using a cue from him. andrews cue are very good too for the price.

craftsman are very good and dont let anyone tell you otherwise. i would say they are very under-rated and i have played some of my best snooker with a craftsman.

if you are not too fussy about even splices, lined up splices, really dark ebony or other fancy woods, craftsman will make you a great cue. as will a cue from andrew (ive tried a couple and they are very good).

if you are fussy then off to the higher end, parris, white, coutts, wooldrige, cook etc

Comment

Originally Posted by thai_son22 View Post
      Hi dpdubai,

any cuemaker can make you a cue to your spec more or less regardless of if the cue is jointed at 16" or not. the 16" i would think is more to do with balance than weight.

i actually saw a guy with a parris cue the other day and it was brand new. must say it was a very good example. however when i was at his workshop, some were good, some werent as.

when you pay top end prices please bare in mind you arent just paying for "playing" qualities. you are also paying for attention to detail and more higher quality woods being used such as darker ebony etc.

trevor is considered top end in cue making and i am currently using a cue from him. andrews cue are very good too for the price.

craftsman are very good and dont let anyone tell you otherwise. i would say they are very under-rated and i have played some of my best snooker with a craftsman.

if you are not too fussy about even splices, lined up splices, really dark ebony or other fancy woods, craftsman will make you a great cue. as will a cue from andrew (ive tried a couple and they are very good).

if you are fussy then off to the higher end, parris, white, coutts, wooldrige, cook etc
      Cheers Thai son, I think your evaluation of the situation has got me swinging towards either a Craftsman or perhaps I might approach Andrew for a price on a similar spec cue.

I can understand why people pay premium prices for cues from the likes of TW, JP & MW, but I think Im happy to move up a step at a time at this stage. Im coming from a 15 year old Peradon so the middle ground Craftsman should still represent a step-up in terms of overall quality. Personally I'm going to enjoy the snooker experience for a long time so at some stage I will upgrade to these premium cues. But for now I think a craftsman or perhaps one from Andrew sounds like a good bet.

Cheers

Comment

hi,

well thats where the under-rating comes into things i believe. a cue from andrew or mastercue or craftsman or whoever can last you a life time. as mentioned, they are all fantastic hitting cues.

Comment

I am waiting for my new cue from stamford, it is not cheap. My remark is to buy what you feel like. After all, it is about what you feel. The quality between the good cue makers are close. It is about the spec and the confiduent you are on the cue maker.

Comment

Working...
          X