Butt Designs - Comments Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
    Do they at O'min use CNC to make their cues, or are they mostly hand planed?
    I saw them used machine and hands. Don't know what is what as most of the times, I was looking at something else there
    It's in the Shaft

Comment

Originally Posted by unclevit View Post
      I saw them used machine and hands. Don't know what is what as most of the times, I was looking at something else there
      I am asking because from the ones that I have seen, their work seem very precise. If they have a lot of people working in their factory, they must have a heck of a tight quality control or that they are all very good cue makers. So, I am just wondering if they are using some well built machine or computerized equipment.
      Mind you I have not seen a lot of O'Min, just may be 10 or so.
      www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
        I am asking because from the ones that I have seen, their work seem very precise. If they have a lot of people working in their factory, they must have a heck of a tight quality control or that they are all very good cue makers. So, I am just wondering if they are using some well built machine or computerized equipment.
        Mind you I have not seen a lot of O'Min, just may be 10 or so.
        pooljunkie : My coach says that their machines are the best amongst Thai cuemakers, and his Team is full of skilled people. Yesterday, I went to my Club and saw many Omin cues, playing by members. All of them are very very nice works
        It's in the Shaft

Comment

Oh if i had a £ for everytime you mention Omin i'd be a rich man. Are you on their books?
          sigpic <---New Website
          Dan Shelton Cues on Facebook

Comment

Originally Posted by totlxtc View Post
            Oh if i had a £ for everytime you mention Omin i'd be a rich man. Are you on their books?
            totlxtc : In Thailand we are running a campaign "Cheer Thais", so it's my job to cheer them as often as possible. Besides, their works are xcellent anyway
            It's in the Shaft

Comment

Jim's Place Visit

All from my own opinion and experience after visiting his place I did not let them know my visit prior to my trip. Too bad, the driving took me almost 4 hours round trip
              1. I would call his place a 'home based' business. Very good traffic as buyers come and go with their custom orders. Or perhaps it's Saturday here
              2. He has good assistants who used to work for Thailand's Well known brands, back years ago. Jim himself was ex-senior cuemaking supervisor for famous brands too.
              3. I like their detail works, slowly and beautifully, splices and butt.
              4. Ash and Maple they used, all came from the same sources/suppliers as those local famous brands. Butt woods come from local exotic hardwoods.
              5. I selected shafts for the 2 custom cues I ordered days ago. I was lucky as they did not start anything on my job yet by the time I get there. Should be able to see them after next week. See-before-you-pay policy. But not for foreign orders, sorry
              6. I saw a person came in and out with a number of very nice 3/4 cues, blank badges. I did not take photo of the place, as they asked not to, and I saw bits and pieces everywhere which are not so neat for me. From the traffic in-and-out that I saw, I don't think they have time to put things in place all the times
              7. Talked to them to read emails (cuesiam at hotmail dot com) every few days, as many of us had sent messages but no answers. One of the daughter-in-law will handle the English mails, give quotes, etc. If you want quote, or place orders, please bear in mind that you will have to wait for a few days before they get back to you. Adviced them to open up a website too. Very soon I hope (they never thought of selling on-line as their blank-badges business is keeping them busy from day to night already. And I won't tell you where those blank-badges are heading to
              8. They have good stock of local exotic woods. They don't have foreign woods for butt. But believe me, their local butt woods stock are all nice looking. They have the same wood that looks similarly to snakewood, at a fraction of a cost. One of my cues will have it on the splices. We'll see to that.
              9. Very soon they will handle foreign orders. Now it's a matter of setting up the process, shipping procedures, etc. But you can start sending them emails next 48 hours, I think. And I hope they listen to my advice. High quality cues vs Low Price
              10. For those who sent me private emails on cue designs, asking for quotes, I have talked to the lady there, and she will get back to me. You will get a priority on special cost. If you fancy good mini butt, ask for spliced mini butt too !
              11. Good Luck. E.g. Their price for 12 splices, 3/4 cue, would fall around $170 w/o shipping (see sample picture I posted in this form - the universe one, not the badge please ), less splices mean a little cheaper. I am paying the same.

(sorry that this is a long reading, I will end up my forum here as I am too excited to see my orders been done, go out and use those cues in my practice )
              Last edited by unclevit; 8 August 2009, 11:24 AM.
              It's in the Shaft

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to visit and do the write up Unclevit. Look forward to seeing the finished product on here...

Comment

Yes, thanks for that and I will see if I get a reply to my email as I am looking for a good 3/4-butt cue and would order at least 2 from them in ash and maple with plain butts and see how they hit. If I like one of them I would order a custom.

Going to do the same thing with Mike Wooldridge once he gets his website corrected and I can buy a Pro series.

Terry
                  Terry Davidson
                  IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Jim's Woods

Need to add a little more :
                    1. Jim used to supply cues under the badge of 'siam' cues, now he is on his own, and his badge will bear his name 'Jim'. Talking quality ? Another good Thai cuemaker.
                    2. Woods used are all local timbers, but exotic, and will last. I have seen the black wood he uses for his butt work. Very deep black, inside and outside. With weight. Hardwood type that is used for Thai ancient home construction - pillar - (which means will last a life time). I now change from imported ebony to this blackwood instead for my custom cues. This wood is also used to make musical instruments too. Quality not second to Ebony, I am sure, as Jim used it for all of his cues several years by now.
                    Hope this helps, in case of interest,
                    It's in the Shaft

Comment

Update on Cuemakers in Thailand

"Jim" After a week long of custom order, Jim is still talking to me on my given order. He has cut a few Ash timbers and don't find the many evenly arrows that I have requested. I think I will have to wait for another full week. The woods for butt are already prepared. Copy to design attached, but in 3/4.
                      "New Maker in Town" I just heard that end of this month a new cue brand is opening up their custom facility as well as ready-made. Rumors are that this factory has many experienced, senior cuemakers from well known local brands joining the team. Competitive pricing platform, and tournament quality. I am waiting for their photos of ready-made cues. Will update. See their original website here : www dot finosnooker dot com
                      Last edited by unclevit; 6 January 2010, 12:34 AM.
                      It's in the Shaft

Comment

Working...
                      X