Faded lettering on my Hunt & O'Byrne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by ChatLag View Post
    The "standard" way to color the writing on a badge is to put some laquer on the badge to fill the writing.
    Wipe off the exceeding laquer as long as it has not dried. Only in the engraved writing the laquer should remain.

I do not know if it helps....
    I am sorry I dont understand. Do you then color the lacquer, or is the lacquer colored to begin with?
    Thank you.
    www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
      I am sorry I dont understand. Do you then color the lacquer, or is the lacquer colored to begin with?
      Thank you.
      I try again to say it more clearly:
      First fill the engraved writing with black varnish. Quite a lot of varnish will be on the badge surface then.
      Second wipe that exeeding varnish off with a cloth without wiping all the varnish out of the writing.
      Let it dry.
      Finally clean the badge surface with some solvent in case there is still some varnish on it.
      I am confused... Oh wait... Maybe I'm not...

Comment

I try again to say it more clearly:
        First fill the engraved writing with black varnish. Quite a lot of varnish will be on the badge surface then.
        Second wipe that exeeding varnish off with a cloth without wiping all the varnish out of the writing.
        Let it dry.
        Finally clean the badge surface with some solvent in case there is still some varnish on it.
        i take it this would be alot more effective than using a fine tipped permanent marker pen?
        "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

Originally Posted by spike View Post
          i take it this would be alot more effective than using a fine tipped permanent marker pen?
          How long the color lasts in the writung depends on the type of varnish you use.
          I would use the varnish you get in small cans in modelbuiding shops. It is made for splastic surfaces and you get also small bottles of dissolver.

Anyway that is the way the coloring of engraved writing is done initially.

Comment

How long the color lasts in the writung depends on the type of varnish you use.
            I would use the varnish you get in small cans in modelbuiding shops. It is made for splastic surfaces and you get also small bottles of dissolver.

Anyway that is the way the coloring of engraved writing is done initially.
            okay will give that a try and see how i get on.

Cheers
            "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

Thank you so much, Christ. Now I understand.
              Does it work when I want to change the color of the engraved fonts?
              www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
                Thank you so much, Christ. Now I understand.
                Does it work when I want to change the color of the engraved fonts?
                That should work. The only risk seems to me that the new varnish and the old one may have some chemical reactions. This could change the color.
                Like painting white wall paint over some stain at the wall and the stain will come through again afterwards.

Comment

Working...
                X