Ideally what budget?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
    he is the best, and kind to forum members!
    Well, i must say he helped me out even in things i wasnt going to buy from him and he knew that, and was still helpful so i'll say hes top guy

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
      he is the best, and kind to forum members!
      He is the best without a doubt!!!!

Comment

and well endowed!
        https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by JayDee View Post
          Played a couple of years and my cue is a cheap trainwreck but I love the game and play it a lot during the season.
          Right now I can definitely afford getting something like a MasterCraft from ebayADR147 which would be a nice cue as i've heard, (don't know my exact weight preference though).
          But a couple of the top players at my club tell me it's still not worth it, if you love the game you really should be putting down £300+. This would mean waiting several more months, to get the funds (and more importantly be happy about spending it which is more a bug for me - can't justify it).

Question really boils down to are these guys severely underestimating cues like Mastercraft? I gotta remember that extensions and case would also take a toll.
          Mike Wooldridge's Shark is a very good cue for a very good price--in my opinion much better than Mastercraft as a whole, and I dont think anyone would dispute that. He is also a member here that you can contact directly.
          www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Yeah the Sharks look good and the specs generally are what I'd use. Doesn't come with minibutt & is £40 more, it's a shelf cue but still of good quality - can't tell what I'd be spending the extra on compared to getting a quality mastercraft from say ADR. Probably splitting hairs at this rate?? :s

Comment

Originally Posted by JayDee View Post
              Yeah the Sharks look good and the specs generally are what I'd use. Doesn't come with minibutt & is £40 more, it's a shelf cue but still of good quality - can't tell what I'd be spending the extra on compared to getting a quality mastercraft from say ADR. Probably splitting hairs at this rate?? :s
              Mike is probably the one you should speak to directly, but Shark is not a shelf cue per say. It is a higher quality cue than Mastercraft.
              Some mastercraft I have seen here do not have splices/facing lined up when it is tightened.
              Ebay sometimes has great deal on quality cues second hand as well if you are lucky.
              www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Really spend some time trying as many cues as you can to find your desired specs.

No point buying a cue thats not right to start with. If the guys at your club have Parris cues see if you can have a hit with some and find whats right. Being 1" out on the lenght or .5oz off on the weight makes a lot of difference to me so your better off spending some time to get it right.

Honestly if your starting out and maybe making 20 -30 point breaks then all the cues mentioned would be ok. You can always upgrade to a nice Wooldridge, White Parris, etc later and have it custom made when you know exactly what you want.

If your making 70+ breaks then you dont need my help go get whatever you want

Comment

One thing you've probably not thought too much about is resale value (should you find for whatever reason you dont get on with a cue). I had a John Parris cue I bought for £270, (not a custom cue), and a Mastercue (of thailand) I bought for £180.. I decided to concentrate on my old cue collection so decided to sell them. The Parris sold on ebay for £300, so even after fees I broke even on the cue. The Mastercue sold for £85. You can see which cue turned out more expensive in the long run.

Incidently was I just lucky with the last JP cue I bought or has anyone else noticed the price JP actually invoices you is much lower than the RRP on his website? 15-20% on that particular cue. Probably the reason the cue sold 2nd hand for more than I paid.
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Old cue collector --
                  Cue Sales: http://oldcues.co.uk/index.php?id=for_sale_specials
                  (yes I know they're not cheap, I didn't intend them to be!..)
                  ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                  X