Multiple joint cues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple joint cues

probably a stupid question, but i'm gonna ask it anyway.

I had a cue which i bought off ebay and it had a 1/2 AND 3/4 joint.

It wasn't particularly expensive (£40 delivered with case, mini butt and 12" extension) or nice looking. But it was one of the best playing cues i've ever owned (once i change the tip).

Looking around i've yet to see any other "brand" offer a cue with multiple joints.

Anyway my question is.....

Is there any particular reason why most (non 1 peice) cues only have one join, or don't have 2 joins?
    Andi Mack

Its generally only cheap cues that come with both joints. The kind that are painted instead of spliced with real woods.
    For one thing adding 2 pieces of brass into the cue will effect the balance. And for another it really isnt required. The only reason for doing this is so that you can fit the cue into a 2 piece case and can put the mini butt onto the 3/4 joint for making a shorter cue (i.e. for pool).

On one "cheap" multiple jointed cue i had (this one was very cheap) it had no butt joint, and so the long extension took the place of the butt, which im assuming was cheaper / easier for them than adding a joint at the butt.
    sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

nice one, thanks for the reply.

the one i had, had a joint in the butt for the mini butt and extension, and they also fitted in place of the 3/4 join.

tbh it felt like it was well balanced / weighted and if some numpty hadn't broken it, i'd probably still be using it today.

Now that thats sorted i can think of other stupid questions to ask , while i carry on saving for the new cue i want (after 15+ years of playing, i reackon i deserve a decent cue for once).
      Andi Mack

Comment

Yeh i had a 2 joint hideous painted master billiards cue which i surpringly liked problem was it was 2.5" too short for me
        But I don't think it held me back apart from the spec, despite the hideous looks!

Comment

Why do you need two joints, is that suppose to make it easier to carry or something like that?
          www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

You don't really need two joins for anything now. Before SD joints in the butt the 3/4 join was needed more. One join bad enough for feel two cant be any good at all. Got a friend with a custom two joiner though.
            One piece only way to go for feel. I had been using an old two piece while my current cue was having work done and they are so handy to move about though.

Comment

Generally found on lower end pool cues. My mate has a cue craft cue (from 10 years ago when they were reasonly decent) with 2 joints. Its a short cue for pool and the 3/4 joint is only 3-4 inches from the butt. Although its only machine spliced it has a nice shaft and is overall a decent cue.

Comment

Yeah i used to use the 2 joiner for pool and keep my 3/4 join cue for snooker.

Why the **** can't pubs put thier pool tables in a decent sized room?
                Andi Mack

Comment

Originally Posted by andi mack View Post
                  Yeah i used to use the 2 joiner for pool and keep my 3/4 join cue for snooker.
                  Thats exactly what I did! Its much easier taking your centre joint down the pub and the stupid shortness doesnt make much difference. Anything with a tip is better than a rack cue!

But for snooker its my 3/4 welshpool all the way.

Comment

Originally Posted by RGCirencester View Post
                    Thats exactly what I did! Its much easier taking your centre joint down the pub and the stupid shortness doesnt make much difference. Anything with a tip is better than a rack cue!

But for snooker its my 3/4 welshpool all the way.
                    Yeah it did make it alot easier, especially for those tight spaces.

Hopefully i'll be ordering a MW Shark "Pool" Edition soon for taking down the pub. We have a pool league all year round (winter and summer seasons) and i currently play in two different pool leagues (tuesdays and thursdays).

Then the next thing is a nice new cue for snooker, as i am currently using the same cue for both.

I'm just not gonna tell the wife how much they cost .
                    Last edited by andi mack; 19 August 2009, 08:05 PM.
                    Andi Mack

Comment

I think you are all spot on. Great info on cues!

Comment

Working...
                      X