My new workshop - A new beginning.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new workshop - A new beginning.

As a few of you know i had a little fettle with cues in the past (Famously on the kitchen rug) and have been quite quiet lately. This is because i now have a proper, fully working, fully commited workshop. This is all down to one very very very kind member on TSF who has inspired me and lead me to where i am, and hopefully where i will be going.

This is not a hope for a career change. This is a hobby. I used to love design, until 5 days a week, 8 hours a day i was doing it. This is my escape, my area and it has made me so happy and possibly saved my relationship with my other half due to excess dust and shavings.

As you will see in the following pictures you will see how its come along the past few weeks. First cue attempts were just on scrap old BCE/Riley/Cue craft cues that i collected from the club that had been there for years. Last week i started the Padauk and thick maple on a old 1 piece, maple and ebony machine spliced cue and this week i wanted to try a burl as id heard they were awkward, so im just working on it (actually working on it now) and its going good. Its Pippy Elm Burl on East Indian Rosewood, machine spliced onto a very golden and clear maple shaft. Both of these i would be happy to sell if anyone wants them as they are perfect now and also will be very cheap (As you can see i ran out of ply so need the funds as missus is clearing off on hols) so if anyone wants them im happy to sort it for them.

Mike Wooldridge has been a star giving me alot of pointers and explaining alot of things id otherwise not know as i was never allowed to do woodwork in school (Dam EU legislation!).

Well there you go! Im off to my workshop to whittle

http://s611.photobucket.com/albums/tt193/totlxtc1978/
    Last edited by totlxtc; 20 August 2009, 12:04 AM. Reason: Not allowed big pictures :(
    sigpic <---New Website
    Dan Shelton Cues on Facebook

Jealous

Still think the second cue looks like a tree trunk
    sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

It looks like you're going to have loads of fun. All the best of luck(get a guard on those lathe belts and avoid a nasty accident).

Wayne G.
      The bitter taste of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Comment

Originally Posted by totlxtc View Post
        This is all down to one very very very kind
        stupid

member on TSF who has inspired me and lead me to where i am, and hopefully where i will be going.

This is not a hope for a career change. This is a hobby. I used to love design, until 5 days a week, 8 hours a day i was doing it. This is my escape, my area and it has made me so happy and possibly saved my relationship with my other half due to excess dust and shavings.

As you will see in the following pictures you will see how its come along the past few weeks. First cue attempts were just on scrap old BCE/Riley/Cue craft cues that i collected from the club that had been there for years. Last week i started the Padauk and thick maple on a old 1 piece, maple and ebony machine spliced cue and this week i wanted to try a burl as id heard they were awkward, so im just working on it (actually working on it now) and its going good. Its Pippy Elm Burl on East Indian Rosewood, machine spliced onto a very golden and clear maple shaft. Both of these i would be happy to sell if anyone wants them as they are perfect now and also will be very cheap (As you can see i ran out of ply so need the funds as missus is clearing off on hols) so if anyone wants them im happy to sort it for them.
        blah blah...

Mike Wooldridge has been a star
        mug

giving me alot of pointers and explaining alot of things id otherwise not know as i was never allowed to do woodwork in school (Dam EU legislation!).

Well there you go! Im off to my workshop to whittle
        just make sure you put that lathe (bandsaw and planer) to good use. for those interested, i used that old lathe for 20 odd years to help make the cues that many of my customers use today. its a bit of history

and in a moment of madness i gave it away!

not just that, i took my building team to totlxtc's house and built him the workshop in one day.

what a f*cking star i am...
        The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by Wayne G View Post
          It looks like you're going to have loads of fun. All the best of luck(get a guard on those lathe belts and avoid a nasty accident).

Wayne G.
          lmao! guard? NO WAAAYY. danger is the cuemakers middle name...
          The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by MikeWooldridge View Post
            Not many can say they have a custom Mike Wooldridge workshop
            sigpic <---New Website
            Dan Shelton Cues on Facebook

Comment

Not many can say they have a custom Mike Wooldridge workshop
              trust me, you are (and will be) the ONLY one. i don't know what came over me...

i'm not exactly known for my kind nature and generosity...
              The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

great news Totlxtc ... I wish you well ... I'm sure you'll make some fabulous cues with your new workshop ...

and well done to Mike Wooldridge too ... good stuff!

Comment

Let's all get warm and cozy now, it is the time for you two to hug each other I think...
                  www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

trust me, you are (and will be) the ONLY one. i don't know what came over me...

i'm not exactly known for my kind nature and generosity...
                    Hey, I knew there is a soft core in that hard shell...

Dan, congrats to your new workshop. I hope you will have a lot of fun on your desert island and a lot of nice cues will leave that room.

BTW: 1pc ash with 20" ebony butt, long splicing wings and a 12" spalt maple single splice without veneer for me, please.
                    I am confused... Oh wait... Maybe I'm not...

Comment

One good turn deserves another Dan don't give Mike all the credit, its a two way thing!
                      Good on you though I admire and have loads of time for people who have patience and go out of their way to learn new skills that don't neccesarily come naturally to then
                      M
                      Its not how well you play its how good you look playing that counts!

Comment

Originally Posted by archalf1471 View Post
                        One good turn deserves another Dan don't give Mike all the credit, its a two way thing!
                        explain...
                        The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

stupid

blah blah...

mug

just make sure you put that lathe (bandsaw and planer) to good use. for those interested, i used that old lathe for 20 odd years to help make the cues that many of my customers use today. its a bit of history

and in a moment of madness i gave it away!

not just that, i took my building team to totlxtc's house and built him the workshop in one day.

Hi mike as you know im in the middle of my new workshop (playroom) and after spending 3 months and over £15,000 i am still nowhere near done !
                          how about sending your crew up to north wales for a "60 miunit makeover"
                          ha ha !
                          i have contacted the BBC and they are only to happy to suply the film crew and you might get a special JP 30 min primetime slot. he he

Comment

Originally Posted by crispian jones View Post
                            Hi mike as you know im in the middle of my new workshop (playroom) and after spending 3 months and over £15,000 i am still nowhere near done !
                            how about sending your crew up to north wales for a "60 miunit makeover"
                            ha ha !
                            i have contacted the BBC and they are only to happy to suply the film crew and you might get a special JP 30 min primetime slot. he he

And the crew will be called "Mike and the Mechanics"...
                            I am confused... Oh wait... Maybe I'm not...

Comment

Very happy for you Dan. hope it goes well. good luck

Abdul Samad

Comment

Working...
                              X