Cue prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cue prices

I know this is going to be a rather contentious issue. But here goes. I will refrain from specifying makers names etc but what is the common opinion about prices of cues. i have seen prices of cues up to 700-800 quid. That being said I do know that the woods used in the manufacture of those cues are of very good grades. I have done a little research and have found that the cost of the materials may be 50 quids at most. I stand to be corrected and I may not have an apprciation for the amount of hours into making of a custom spec but I still think that the prices paid for some are rediculous. Maybe this thread would help me understand why people would part with that kind of cash when in most cases I cannot see the difference in cues that cost a fraction of those prices.

you are not just paying for the materials, you are paying for the makers time and skill

Comment

you would be better asking a cue maker but my thinking is say you ask m,wooldridge to make you a cue just a plain ebony and ash. now say the ebony costs £50 he still as to sauce it get it delivered or pick it up. then theres the ash same story then theres the time making it say it takes 20 hours at say £10 a hours thats £200 then theres the ferrull and tip the joint the base socket if there is 1 plus the glues and the finishing materials wax,oils,sealers then there's the badge plus all the cost of the tools he uses blades need sharpening drill bits saws need replacing general wear and tear plus electricity theres a lot of hidden cost that people dont take it to concideration. so imagine a realy fancy 1 with all the different woods ££££££££ i think the cost is justified

i understand what your saying in the last bit whats the difference in cue that cost a fraction of the price of others simply answer quality & attention to detail. i have here at the moment a craftsman panther brand new cost £150 and my mates wooldridge pro 1 he paid about £300 a few years ago both just plain ebony now i am not saying craftsman are crap they are good cues great value for money but when you put it next to the wooly they dont come close the quality of woods used,the joint quality, overall attention to detail ie splice work the flushness of the joint and ferrul the finish of the cue there just miles apart.
      Last edited by ste bed; 31 August 2009, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by sanman View Post
        I know this is going to be a rather contentious issue. But here goes. I will refrain from specifying makers names etc but what is the common opinion about prices of cues. i have seen prices of cues up to 700-800 quid. That being said I do know that the woods used in the manufacture of those cues are of very good grades. I have done a little research and have found that the cost of the materials may be 50 quids at most. I stand to be corrected and I may not have an apprciation for the amount of hours into making of a custom spec but I still think that the prices paid for some are rediculous. Maybe this thread would help me understand why people would part with that kind of cash when in most cases I cannot see the difference in cues that cost a fraction of those prices.
        I agree to quite an extent.People also have to pay for the brand alongwith cuemker's time and skill.
        My deep screw shot
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHXTv4Dt-ZQ

Comment

Originally Posted by sanman View Post
          ... I have done a little research and have found that the cost of the materials may be 50 quids at most...
          The materials don't cost 50 quid as ste bed has pointed out.

There is also all the wastage that has to be taken into account. After the ash and maple has been sourced, and the shafts start to take shape. Lots of timber is discarded due to it having aesthetic problems that customers would not accept. Despite the fact the timber might make a great shaft. Knots, blemishes etc.

This all has to be taken into account in the cuemakers overheads.

Lastly the business has to make a profit to justify its existence. If the business isn't making a profit, it will cease to exist, and you and I will no longer receive the service it provides. This is basic economics.

Comment

I think you can get a good cheap cue that you like and plays well but it will take you a long time searching through various shops. I have bought about 10 cues over a period of 8 years ranging from £30 to £475 and of the 10 cues only 2 of them were right for me. The £30 Ronnie O'Sullivan cue bought from JD Sports shop and my Mike Wooldridge CC-02 cue. All the others inbetween just didn't feel right and I was unable to play the full range of shots with them.

Comment

Originally Posted by fisher
              its not how a cue looks its how it plays
              This is very true.

Here is a sill example to illustrate why very expensive cues are being made.

A £5 watch from aldi may keep the time as accurately as a Rolex.
              However it has neither the quality of craftsmanship, class of materials, nor look or feel of the Rolex.

Therefore the rolex exists for those who have the desire to possess it, and the finance to afford it.

Just like cues.

A Craftsman may play as well as a Parris, but the Parris exists for those who want more.....

Comment

...i saw some parris cues getting sold at crucible this year and i wouldnt wipe my arse on 1...
                Oh no, I bet John Parris is crying himself to sleep...

Then again, he might not give a feck what you think.

Comment

its not just materials etc that you are buying into with an expensive hand made cue though.

you are buying into the aftersales care that maker will give you, his expert knowledge on making what is right for you, his experience working with the woods to produce the cue to the exact standards you require /need and also into the reputation of which ever maker you buy from. with the likes of rileys and thier machine made cues - they couldnt give a rats arse once you have bought a cue off them, wont tailor it to fit etc its as it is - whereas with a custom handmade cue - its designed specifically to fit you.

Comment

i have a parris thats awesome for sale but the 1s at cruicible didnt look or feel right:snooker:
                    I personally have never used one! Only taken a few shots with ones that belong to others.

I think the point is, some people want quality cues that don't just play well, but look and feel class. With perfect splicing, quality materials etc. These people are willing to pay for that luxury.

Comment

i have a parris thats awesome for sale
                      people r getting ripped of these days no cue is worth over £300

So how much then?
                      Can you post pictures?

=o)

Noel

Comment

Originally Posted by checkSide View Post
                        The materials don't cost 50 quid as ste bed has pointed out.

There is also all the wastage that has to be taken into account. After the ash and maple has been sourced, and the shafts start to take shape. Lots of timber is discarded due to it having aesthetic problems that customers would not accept. Despite the fact the timber might make a great shaft. Knots, blemishes etc.

This all has to be taken into account in the cuemakers overheads.

Lastly the business has to make a profit to justify its existence. If the business isn't making a profit, it will cease to exist, and you and I will no longer receive the service it provides. This is basic economics.
                        i never said it did cost £50 i was just using it as a example.

your not a cue seller by any chance ru?i saw some parris cues getting sold at crucible this year and i wouldnt wipe my arse on 1 there was no brown glue on splices or owt i personally think they fell off a plane coming from thailand.
                        i belive parris stopped using that type of glue some years ago.plus thai cue are very good quality very under priced.

people r getting ripped of these days no cue is worth over £300 i know how much a cue is to make,people r paying for the names on cues ie parris etc there overated and over priced.im a descent player and i have to say in my career the best cue ive had was the cheapest ive had £60 craftsmans and ive paid £200 and £300 for cues:snooker:
                        but you still have to pay for the time of the cuemaker to make the cue they are skilled men who are few and far between whos products are in very high demand. there not working on minimum wage they have the right to make good money for there services.
                        say for the sake of it a cues materials cost 100 and it took 20 hours to make it you sold it for 200 that works out at £5 a hour i suppose if your making loads in a week out of a machine then fair enough it would be worth it but for the top guys like mike,robin and trevor who make say 8/10 cues a week maybe less maybe more? by hand how would he make a living i personaly think the cost is justified and if you dont want to pay then look elsewhere.
                        Last edited by ste bed; 31 August 2009, 05:49 PM.

Comment

In terms in business, Buying the materials may go through several hands which means severals markup of prices for profits.
                          The Cue maker himself have his own Overhead and cost to cover.

This line of job is a skill job. You are paying for the price of wood, delivery, his cost, most importantly his SKILL (skills could be charged at a premium).

If you have a unique skill which you can do a unique job wonderfully which nobody in the world able to compete with you, can definately could charge at a premium rate if there are demand at the price people about to afford.

Comment

All this has been discussed before, it takes a huge lack of insight to suggest top end cuemakers are ripping us off just because materials are estimated by some bozo to cost no more than 50quid.
                            If, however those cuemakers were lying to us, and cues promised (or implied) to be made entirely in the UK were in fact being (even partly) made say in Thailand then we'd have every right to be ****ed off I think.
                            And when a top end cuemaker occasionally lets out absolute rubbish 'cause he's still riding a reputation earned more than 10 yrs ago the same applies.
                            Tear up that manure-fed astroturf!

Comment

a cue is much more expensive to make than you make. £50? no chance. well depends on the cue makers. you arent just paying for materials etc but there are other things that need to be paid for.

these include things like, the tip, the ferrule, the glue, the joint etc on top of things like the woods used. some ebony costs more than others simply because they are darker. and some woods are really expensive.

a certain cuemaker has quoted me £100+ for a block of snakewood?

so things arent as cheap to make as u think!!

Comment

Working...
                              X