Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help please, advice on 2 piece handmade 17oz ash cue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please, advice on 2 piece handmade 17oz ash cue.

Can anyone give me their honest opion please. Looking for a new 2 piece handmade cue, however I have quite specific spec in mind, ie 17oz, 57 inches, 10mm tip. The price range I had in mind is around £130.
    There seems to be a lot of 3/4 on the market but fewer 2 piece, also another
    question I have is butt size, what is the average, would prefer smaller diameter I think. Looks like Craftsmen or Mastercue are favourites
    Any views ?

Craftsman, Mastercraft, Welshpool Trading spring to mind for your budget & will do you a nice cue made centre jointed & all are very helpful...........just out of interest are you not keen on 1 piece or 3/4 jointed?

As for butt size key thing is the size of your hands really you tend to find the chinese players go for smaller butts ( just talking cues of course lol ) at around 28mm ( as small hands ) in the uk average would be around 29mm, 29.5mm or 30mm best thing to do is try some see what feels right.........

hope this helps a bit

Comment

Originally Posted by CueAntW147 View Post
      Craftsman, Mastercraft, Welshpool Trading spring to mind for your budget & will do you a nice cue made centre jointed & all are very helpful...........just out of interest are you not keen on 1 piece or 3/4 jointed?

As for butt size key thing is the size of your hands really you tend to find the chinese players go for smaller butts ( just talking cues of course lol ) at around 28mm ( as small hands ) in the uk average would be around 29mm, 29.5mm or 30mm best thing to do is try some see what feels right.........

hope this helps a bit
      Thanks for your reply cueant, picked a 2 piece for ease of transport really, previously only had 1 & 2 piece. The size of the butt is interesting, I'll give that some thought. If you had to choose any of the cue makers you mentioned who would it be ?
      Also any thoughts on tips, like mine pretty hard and 'ready to play' It's been a while since I played so just getting back into the swing. Just one other thing on a centre joint any problems with the cue makers you have mentioned, would hate for the joint to go wrong in 6 months.cheers for your help !

Comment

No probs........i wouldn't rule out a 3/4 jointed unless you've tryed them already........sort of give benefits of easy transport & play more like a one piece due to shaft being longer in my opinion.

Where are you based mate..........we might be able to help better then you might be within travelling distance of places you could try a few out.......which is always the best if you can.
        As for tips loads of info on here about them the days of just choosing between elks & blue diamonds have long gone......so best have a read up about them.
        I wouldn't expect any problems from any of the makers i've mentioned on the joint or otherwise so i wouldn't worry too much about that.

Comment

Originally Posted by johno View Post
          Thanks for your reply cueant, picked a 2 piece for ease of transport really, previously only had 1 & 2 piece. The size of the butt is interesting, I'll give that some thought. If you had to choose any of the cue makers you mentioned who would it be ?
          Also any thoughts on tips, like mine pretty hard and 'ready to play' It's been a while since I played so just getting back into the swing. Just one other thing on a centre joint any problems with the cue makers you have mentioned, would hate for the joint to go wrong in 6 months.cheers for your help !
          Mastercue pays a lot of attention on their 1/2 pc. handmade too, including the quality of the ebony and shaft used. I used to own one but my friend took it. Your budget should also cover the mini butt. Can't go wrong
          It's in the Shaft

Comment

alrite mate, i live in swinton (near Manchester) if you know of any good places to try

Comment

alrite mate, i live in swinton (near Manchester) if you know of any good places to try
              go up to levenshulme to the cue shop on stockport road, its pretty good in there

http://www.snookershop.com/

or alternatively bury sports opposite the leisure centre in bury has a few cues in but only the cheaper makes...

Comment

Hi Guys

Just to let you know I decided on a mastercraft cue (the eclipse model) Having dealt with Dave @ Mastercraft I feel I'm in safe hands. The guys really helpful and pays attention to the spec of the cue you're after. Makes a change to deal with such a
                professional company who also provide that personal service. Looking forward to delivery

Comment

A nice looking cue & a good choice mate...........you'll have no problems with dave.........a nice helpful bloke who's keen to please ....let us know how you get on when it comes.

Comment

Hi mate, got my new cue delivered and well pleased. Nice finish and balance
                    is spot on. Would recommend Mastercraft and Dave is a really good guy who
                    is eager to please.

Comment

Glad your pleased.......i didn't think you'd have a problem .....you made a good choice.......

enjoy it mate!

Comment

Originally Posted by unclevit View Post
                        Mastercue pays a lot of attention on their 1/2 pc. handmade too, including the quality of the ebony and shaft used. I used to own one but my friend took it. Your budget should also cover the mini butt. Can't go wrong
                        Hi Unclevit! I believe you are based in Bangkok,So I think you might have an answer to my question.
                        Why is it that almost all machine spliced Master cues like Tournament have excellent grains (tight & staight) whereas handmade cues like the Probutt & Millenium series don't have similar grains,it seems to me that they stress more on butt designs then the shaft on the expensive models.

I have seen around 100's of Mastercue and 90% of the machine spliced tournament cues had very tight straight grains whereas only 50 % of the handmade cues had tight grains,Rest of them had very ordinary grains.(wide grains and uneven arrows)

Regards,
                        sunny
                        My deep screw shot
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHXTv4Dt-ZQ

Comment

Originally Posted by sunny3909 View Post
                          Hi Unclevit! I believe you are based in Bangkok,So I think you might have an answer to my question.
                          Why is it that almost all machine spliced Master cues like Tournament have excellent grains (tight & staight) whereas handmade cues like the Probutt & Millenium series don't have similar grains,it seems to me that they stress more on butt designs then the shaft on the expensive models.

I have seen around 100's of Mastercue and 90% of the machine spliced tournament cues had very tight straight grains whereas only 50 % of the handmade cues had tight grains,Rest of them had very ordinary grains.(wide grains and uneven arrows)

Regards,
                          sunny
                          Hi, and hello from Bangkok.
                          From my experience, Mastercue or Omin, or even my Uncle Thai (maker whom I trust to do my custom cues for the past several months) will give priority on shaft playing quality before the beauty of the grains or the numbers of arrows on them. Thai cuemakers (or elsewhere) will give priority to the selection of well dried ash woods before they look at the grains or the arrows. So this is why we don't judge the shaft quality from the looks of the grains/lines and arrows. But for those looking for both the playing quality and the beauty (more dollars come in here), then this is important to their decision making. You know well that a good playing cue normally comes from a good shaft and a good cue tip. Hope this helps

(I am seeing Omin this afternoon. Will discuss this with him, and add more here. By the way, if you are fan of Omin's cue, I heard that he will come up with his hi-end custom department earlier next year (those price range of US$500+). He has stocked thousands of woods for this prestigious project....pssss )

More....... I came back from Omin's place. Omin is sicked and hospitalized today. Working too hard these days. Should be back tomorrow. Talked to his Wood Supervisor on the ash lines, here is what he told me :
                          Tight lines come from slow growing Ash, and will offer more spring on the shaft (personal preference, like it or hate it). Wide lines come from fast growing Ash. Countries where ash wood comes from may make a whole difference between tight/wide lines. Any type with well dry condition can offer a good playing quality shaft. My personal preference..... I'll pick the well dry shaft as priority, beauty is third... no second.
                          Last edited by unclevit; 20 October 2009, 03:12 PM.
                          It's in the Shaft

Comment

Originally Posted by unclevit View Post
                            Hi, and hello from Bangkok.
                            From my experience, Mastercue or Omin, or even my Uncle Thai (maker whom I trust to do my custom cues for the past several months) will give priority on shaft playing quality before the beauty of the grains or the numbers of arrows on them. Thai cuemakers (or elsewhere) will give priority to the selection of well dried ash woods before they look at the grains or the arrows. So this is why we don't judge the shaft quality from the looks of the grains/lines and arrows. But for those looking for both the playing quality and the beauty (more dollars come in here), then this is important to their decision making. You know well that a good playing cue normally comes from a good shaft and a good cue tip. Hope this helps

(I am seeing Omin this afternoon. Will discuss this with him, and add more here. By the way, if you are fan of Omin's cue, I heard that he will come up with his hi-end custom department earlier next year (those price range of US$500+). He has stocked thousands of woods for this prestigious project....pssss )

More....... I came back from Omin's place. Omin is sicked and hospitalized today. Working too hard these days. Should be back tomorrow. Talked to his Wood Supervisor on the ash lines, here is what he told me :
                            Tight lines come from slow growing Ash, and will offer more spring on the shaft (personal preference, like it or hate it). Wide lines come from fast growing Ash. Countries where ash wood comes from may make a whole difference between tight/wide lines. Any type with well dry condition can offer a good playing quality shaft. My personal preference..... I'll pick the well dry shaft as priority, beauty is third... no second.
                            THANKS UNCLEVIT!
                            Being a century player myself I know what you mean.

I am big fan of master cue because of their rigidity and firmness,maybe it suits my style.
                            But I would like to give Uncle Thai cues a try.

Regards,
                            sunny
                            My deep screw shot
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHXTv4Dt-ZQ

Comment

Can anyone give me their honest opion please. Looking for a new 2 piece handmade cue, however I have quite specific spec in mind, ie 17oz, 57 inches, 10mm tip. The price range I had in mind is around £130.
                              There seems to be a lot of 3/4 on the market but fewer 2 piece, also another
                              question I have is butt size, what is the average, would prefer smaller diameter I think. Looks like Craftsmen or Mastercue are favourites
                              Any views ?
                              Johno, I had very similar requirements and opted for Mastercaft eclipse (maple) at around £130. Cue arrived (beautiful!) but seemed to me a bit heavy. Weighed it at the post office and think it has been made at 19 ozs instead of 17.5 ozs as requested. Returned to Mastercraft for fixing. Dave very helpful.

Comment

Working...
                              X