dunns cues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dunns cues

have been searching round web, looking for macassar wood. this site appeared an appears very cheap. is this a genuine cue maker or is it somewhere thats importing cheap chinese cues ?

http://www.dunns-cues.com/index.html

Dunns cues

I e-mailed them with a query about a cue and they never replied! very worrying. There's a chap on e-bay rite now selling a Dunns cue for £40+ . he may know summit?

Comment

I bought one to have a look at, because the cheap price made them look interesting, however, I'd never go back nor recommend them to anyone. They're made in the far east, China, I think, or maybe Hong Kong, where they're shipped from, although they've a contact in England.

The shaft was rubbish, badly tapered, and poor quality ash, the "ebony" splicing was not very black at all, and obviously not well spliced as the splices were all uneven in length and width, and they were put on squint. The secondary splicing and veneers were the worst I've ever seen, all unequal, badly fixed and aligned, and looked a right mess. It was the worst looking cue I've ever seen that was supposed to be a "hand-made" cue. The tip and ferrule were really poor as well - the ferrule looked like it had been fitted by an apprentice on his 1st day, and was badly scratched and the tip was on squint, rock hard, had loose fibres and had left glue lines on the ferrule.

On the other hand, the cue came with a butt socket and a mini-butt which was well-fitted and-crafted. The butt of the cue itself felt good in the hand, with a nice ergonomical shape to it.

This is, of course, only my experience, and of the only one of their cues I've ever seen, so I might have been unlucky, however ...
      Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

Dunns cues

Thanks for the info. Funnily enough Dunns are selling a cue for £31 on their website which they admit was "made by an apprentice". At least they are honest but it doesn't stop same other dodgy dealer buying it and selling it on as the real deal. Think I'll stay away from e-bay and any other sites I'm not sure of. Ordered a cue from MASTERCRAFT in Shropshire. They were very helpful on the phone and didn't speak Chinese. Taking delivery next week. Should be better than my 25 year old Rex Williams Powerglide. Cheers

Comment

You'll be much better off with a Mastercraft cue than a Dunns cue, tbh. Dave et al are nice guys and very helpful and accomodating if you ever have a problem with your goods.

Even though they are English, you're obviously better speaking to them than trying out your Chinese. They probably had more problems understanding your accent than you did them, tbh.

Where're you from in Scotland, by the way, pal?
          Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

I agree with Keith. I bought a Dunns cue also over the net. While the contact person was prompt in his replies, the cue leaves much to be desired.

The quality of the ash is very poor and has a hollow feeling. Shaft was thickly lacquered and becomes very sticky after a few shots.

then again, I could have been unlucky.

Comment

2 unlucky people that use this site. couldnt work out how the cues were that cheap if the cue maker was doing his own work. no resemblence to any other cue makers price in this country. its appearing more like a craftsman job when i do decide.

Comment

I'm getting mine this week... this is last photo I was sent, not looking too bad.
                Attached Files

Comment

It does look nice, however, that's not what's important, it's how it plays that counts.

I hope you'll be lucky and get a good player ...

Comment

Originally Posted by dantuck_7 View Post
                    I'm getting mine this week... this is last photo I was sent, not looking too bad.
                    i love maccy d's, however their photos look far better than what they actually look like.

Comment

Originally Posted by KeithinFrance View Post
                      You'll be much better off with a Mastercraft cue than a Dunns cue, tbh. Dave et al are nice guys and very helpful and accomodating if you ever have a problem with your goods.

Even though they are English, you're obviously better speaking to them than trying out your Chinese. They probably had more problems understanding your accent than you did them, tbh.

Where're you from in Scotland, by the way, pal?
                      Edinburgh in Scotland is where I am. Play in DiMarcos Club. Socially not seriously. Been thinking about taking a few lessons to see if I can improve. Chris Small (retired) and Craig McGillvary (not on the tour circuit any more) offer lessons but its probably a shrink I need! Lost count of the number of easy "frame ball blacks" I've missed lately. Think its an age thing! Will wait till I see how the new cue plays. Maybe will bring a bit of confidence back.

Comment

Originally Posted by Bigmeek View Post
                        Edinburgh in Scotland is where I am. Play in DiMarcos Club. Socially not seriously. Been thinking about taking a few lessons to see if I can improve. Chris Small (retired) and Craig McGillvary (not on the tour circuit any more) offer lessons but its probably a shrink I need! Lost count of the number of easy "frame ball blacks" I've missed lately. Think its an age thing! Will wait till I see how the new cue plays. Maybe will bring a bit of confidence back.
                        agree, i always miss an extremely easy black after i break a 30+, can't be concetrated enough, do not know why

Comment

Originally Posted by KeithinFrance View Post
                          It does look nice, however, that's not what's important, it's how it plays that counts.

I hope you'll be lucky and get a good player ...
                          Hi guys, I've had my first few frames with this cue tonight. Overall impression is that it's adequate, won't really get a feel for it until the tip is a bit more worn in. I did end up switching back to my normal cue after about 3 frames, I could then tell there is quiet a marked difference really, but I will persevere with it. It's the first time i've used a maple cue, it probably isn't as smooth to cue with as ash.

It feels quite well balanced, will be playing some pool with it tomorrow, so see how that goes.... In all honesty I would probably say that Dunns offer good value for money. But, for the price that I paid, just over 100 pound, you could spend a little bit more and get a much more reliable choice, for ewample Wooldridge shark series. Think they are 180 or so. Visually it looks very good, but then looks aren't everything as Keith did say!

Comment

If you like it, that is all that matters. Dont take other people's comment for more than what it is--just opinion.
                            Look is not as important as playability--but wouldn't it be nice to have a good playing cue that looks nice at the same time?
                            www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Mike's shark series do look like a good option thinking of getting one for pool.

Comment

Working...
                              X