dunns cues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by dantuck_7 View Post
    Hi guys, I've had my first few frames with this cue tonight. Overall impression is that it's adequate, won't really get a feel for it until the tip is a bit more worn in. I did end up switching back to my normal cue after about 3 frames, I could then tell there is quiet a marked difference really, but I will persevere with it. It's the first time i've used a maple cue, it probably isn't as smooth to cue with as ash.

It feels quite well balanced, will be playing some pool with it tomorrow, so see how that goes.... In all honesty I would probably say that Dunns offer good value for money. But, for the price that I paid, just over 100 pound, you could spend a little bit more and get a much more reliable choice, for ewample Wooldridge shark series. Think they are 180 or so. Visually it looks very good, but then looks aren't everything as Keith did say!
    If this cue is made of maple, and it's not as smooth as an ash cue, then there's a real problem! Maple, bacause it has no tangible grain, is and should always be smoother than ash. I play with an ash cue, with a really nice smooth finish on it, and even it's not as smooth as a maple cue. It's a shame you ended up with a cue you think is only "adequate", however, it doesn't really surprise me, unfortunately. I guess it just shows I wasn't unlucky after all.
    Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

Originally Posted by Bigmeek View Post
      Edinburgh in Scotland is where I am. Play in DiMarcos Club. Socially not seriously. Been thinking about taking a few lessons to see if I can improve. Chris Small (retired) and Craig McGillvary (not on the tour circuit any more) offer lessons but its probably a shrink I need! Lost count of the number of easy "frame ball blacks" I've missed lately. Think its an age thing! Will wait till I see how the new cue plays. Maybe will bring a bit of confidence back.
      I'm from Glasgow, originally. I play uk8ball, haven't played the great game for a looong time, now. If you're a social player then lessons'd probably be a very good idea; don't know about going to see a shrink, just 'cause you missed a few blacks, tbh. Lol

When will you get the new cue, by the way? I hope you'll be happy with it; I got a custom cue made up by Mastercraft for a friend of mine, and he loves his, so I just hope it'll be the same for you. Dave & Chris are good blokes; the first cue they made for my pal wasn't great, and they made another one up straight away, and sent a 2nd cue over free for the bother. Nice - good customer service.
      Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

Keith, France must have felt so much different from Glasgow! I'm heading thru to Glesca on Tuesday for a cupla days to take in some of the Grand Prix. (if my tickets ever arrive, postal strikes here!) Dave says my cue should be with me by the weekend. Looking forward to trying it out. Not sure if it's going to be the one for me. Being a bit of an old-fashioned type I've stuck with what I've been used to all my life. Maple! Centre-jointed! 10mm tip! 57.5 length.17.5oz. 30mm butt. After registering with this forum and reading through the posts (extensively!!) I'm already thinking that I need to move with the times and consider trying out something different. Ash? 1 piece? heavier?

Comment

Ash 1 piece will sound a lot better to most than a centre jointed Maple. I know it's each to his own , but it's worth considering that when you buy a decent cue you can always sell it- and often get most of your money back (if not all) if you don't like it. Different story with a centre jointed though, would be a lot harder to sell that on. Don't see why anyone would want one thesedays

Comment

I think someone once posted here that Dunn's are made in Taiwan, not sure if that is the case.
            It does not necessarily mean that it is a bad cue though.
            Yes, I agree center jointed cue seems to be out of style, but if you like it, why change just because everyone else is using one piece or 3/4? It is your cue, not other people's.
            I think 17.5 is not too light unless you feel that it is.
            www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Taiwanese actually make some of the very best pool cues, seem they are also entering snooker cue market. Considering the human resources in asia its not a surprise, anything is possible in asia.

Comment

Ladies and Gents, I'm selling my maple cue from Dunn's. If anyone on here wants to make me an offer, I'll end the auction early.

Now here...
                http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...STRK:MESELX:IT
                Attached Files
                Last edited by dantuck_7; 7 December 2009, 01:20 PM. Reason: Added Photo...

Comment

dun trust this guy at all.....i have bought a one pcs case from him and end up my cue is 58" and dunns give me a 57" case so i ask him how ....do u know what happen....this dunns boss ask me to cut it on the end parts.......damm stupid him.....thing have arrive my place so i only wish to send back and ex change a longer one but he just dun care about it....beware when u buy from him
                  Last edited by bouncer; 7 December 2009, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Which guy are you talking about? Dunns cues? Or a member?
                    sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

I've been using a Dunn's cue for about three years now. I came across the website when searching for my first cue. Two things really surprised me about the delivery. One, it originated from Hong Kong. Second, was the speed. I paid on Thursday an the cue was at the door on Monday! I'm in Ontario, Canada, about as far away from Hong Kong as you can get.

The cue is nicely made. I have no issues with the craftsmanship (and I'm pretty anal about that). It's 3/4 ash and Macassar ebony. That is the brownish ebony. I think it may be slightly less dense than the Gibon (Gabon?) ebony, which is the really black stuff. The kit included a mini butt, a telescoping extension, and an aluminum case.

There is a defect in the grain of the ash, just ahead of the joint. The cue came with an extremely hard and loose tip, which made playing impossible. Once I put a new tip on, I was relieved to be able to deliver the cue where I was aiming.

I'm still using this cue. It is quite light (17 or 17.5), and with the recently added Talisman Pro H, it performs very well. It does ring with a hollow sound when gripped lightly and hitting the edge of the cue ball (bottoms tops or sides) with power. With center ball striking it makes a nice solid click sound.

By the sound of it, these cues are really hit and miss, too much so to perhaps risk purchasing over the net. Having said that, I can't see myself switching cues. I've tried a friend's Parris cue as well as an Omin. Both are nice, but I prefer my Dunn's.

Comment

It sounds like you got a good cue package depending on price. It may not be fair to compare any cue to one that you like and have used for 3 years. When you say that you have "tried" a Parris, for how long? I would think if you tried a Parris for a month
                        or so you may notice a difference. The same could also be said about Tw and Mw cues
                        since they seem to be the best cues around at this time, just my opinion. I am sure
                        others will have a different view.

Comment

I tried the Parris for about a frame or so. There is definitely a difference which could be felt right away, but not one where it felt as though my cueing would improve with the cue. Though maybe over time it would.

Comment

Macassar is stripey ebony http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...a%3DX%26um%3D1 not brownish i think all you have is brown ebony dont worry i got the same when i bought one out of interest.

Comment

Are these Dunns cues just rebadged cues and therefore the same as Silent knight and JX cues?
                              i.e. made in china and painted splices + poor quality?

Comment

Recieved mine today, cant complain at all with the one i recieved, 100% straight, genuine splicing, all even, great straight grain and Vs on top and great quality, went for the Malichi ash version. Chap couldnt of been more helpfull. One thing i do like is the super smooth finish without the varnish to the butt end which in the past has been my first job to remove it. Unfortunately its already up the club, and has a really nice hit and sound, otherwise would of put a picture up for you. Will post one next time i bring it home.

Comment

Working...
                                X