Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by trevs1 View Post
    Old saying...."no smoke without fire"

I think people might be surprised if they were fully aware of just what cues are made where and finished where, there is a difference.

Speaking for myself, EVERY cue with my name on it is made solely by me and me alone, in Wales, using timber sourced virtually exclusively from UK based merchants. I deal with absolutely no one from the far east, other than to sell cues to people there.
    I thought it could also be the other way around... It's just silly speculation on my part, but it occurred to me that GBL cues could actually be made by a top end UK maker looking to exploit the mid-range market without cheapening his own brand.
    Tear up that manure-fed astroturf!

Comment

Originally Posted by eaoin11 View Post
      I thought it could also be the other way around... It's just silly speculation on my part, but it occurred to me that GBL cues could actually be made by a top end UK maker looking to exploit the mid-range market without cheapening his own brand.
      What makes you think that? Just out of interest?
      sigpic <---New Website
      Dan Shelton Cues on Facebook

Comment

Thanks for the nice comments everyone
        I try my best to help.

Hi CueBallKick
        1pc maple cues in snooker spec I have about 20 -25 in stock at present.
        Some very nice ones starting from £150
        Your more than welcome to come down the shop and try as many out as you like. I'll add some pictures of 1pc maples to the shop forum sometime next week
        www.greenbaize.com

Comment

Originally Posted by eaoin11 View Post
          Just for the record our cues are 100% made in Thailand, I do believe that the quality of the GBL cues are the best being made over there currently.
          www.greenbaize.com

Comment

Hi Greenbaize.The maple cues you have mentioned above, are they made in Thailand or are they made in England.Also are they hand made?

Thanks again for all the help.

Comment

Apologies Stu, I didn't mean any harm, maybe just have too much free time... I'm a big fan of your shop at GBL.

It was just a hypothetical idea that amused me (it would be a surprise if true...) it's not based on any fact at all. Let's imagine a cue maker has found a place at the top end of the cue market and business has been going well.

He has increased staff, put together a state of the art workshop and can now produce more cues than there are buyers for at the top end of the market.

He can't offer the same product at a lower price whilst keeping his place at the top end, so he just creates another brand...

I'm not alluding to any particular cue maker. Mike Wooldridge for example is definitely top end but seems to have more than enough buyers, and he has the black sharks in the mid range market.
              Tear up that manure-fed astroturf!

Comment

Bump, GreenBaize please check my post above.

Comment

Originally Posted by CueBallKick View Post
                  Bump, GreenBaize please check my post above.
                  You are better off emailing him through his shop
                  http://www.greenbaize.com/contact.php

At a guess I would say they are a mix of UK and thai made cues. Though don't let that put you off as by all accounts Stus GBL cues are good quality.
                  sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Originally Posted by CueBallKick View Post
                    Hi Greenbaize.The maple cues you have mentioned above, are they made in Thailand or are they made in England.Also are they hand made?

Thanks again for all the help.
                    Stu's own brand, GBL, are made in Thailand, and are bloody excellent; he also has other brands in stock, like Mastercue, Mike Wooldridge, which are very good cues, too. I'm sure he's got a selection of cues from the UK and elsewhere, and if he says they're good, then you can believe him.
                    Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

Originally Posted by KeithinFrance View Post
                      Stu's own brand, GBL, are made in Thailand, and are bloody excellent; he also has other brands in stock, like Mastercue, Mike Wooldridge, which are very good cues, too. I'm sure he's got a selection of cues from the UK and elsewhere, and if he says they're good, then you can believe him.
                      Stuart told me few days back that he was going to stock Tony Ions cues!!!
                      I think that would be great.
                      My deep screw shot
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHXTv4Dt-ZQ

Comment

Originally Posted by sunny3909 View Post
                        It will be long as Tony can get them done.........in a reasonable timescale

But fair play to Stu actually having some in stock could be the answer......:snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by CueAntW147 View Post
                          It will be long as Tony can get them done.........in a reasonable timescale

But fair play to Stu actually having some in stock could be the answer......:snooker:
                          Excuse my curiosity, but ... could be the answer to what?
                          Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

Originally Posted by sunny3909 View Post
                            It might be great, IF Tony actually makes the cues, and IF Stu actually takes delivery of them, and IF Tony doesn't just take his money and then make up a bundle of excuses for 3 YEARS, like he's done with me.

Stu's a good businessman, so I'm sure he'll be ok, and he's "local" to Tony so I'm sure that'll help, too, as he can actually go 'round to check up on things, if it comes to that; I just hope for him it doesn't.

Comment

Originally Posted by KeithinFrance View Post
                              Excuse my curiosity, but ... could be the answer to what?
                              Sorry Keith not explaining myself well these days....i just meant if Stu actually has some physically in stock on the rack people will be able to take or have there & then.......if he's taking orders for them & Tony has to make them it could be a long wait.....as you know better than most...

He's a great cuemaker though no question.....so having some of his cues available can only be a good thing, built in with reliable sensible timescales......
                              Last edited by CueAntW147; 18 October 2009, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by CueAntW147 View Post
                                Sorry Keith not explaining myself well these days....i just meant if Stu actually has some physically in stock on the rack people will be able to take or have there & then.......if he's taking orders for them & Tony has to make them it could be a long wait.....as you know better than most...

He's a great cuemaker though no question.....so having some of his cues available can only be a good thing, built in with reliable sensible timescales......
                                I can only agree with that, now it's a bit clearer ...

I also think the part I've highlighted is the most important of all, tbh.

Comment

Working...
                                X