Info on top cue makers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info on top cue makers?

Hi, im looking at buying a 1 peice cue for around £350 to £400.The only problem is I would like to try it before I buy it.Do any of the top cue makers allow this.

The main three I had in mind was either Mike Wooldridge, Trevor White or John Parris.I have also struggled to find any websites or other info on Trevor White and Mike Wooldridge.

Any help, muh appreciated.

http://www.handmadecues.com/ - for Mike Wooldridge - although not active at moment

http://files.vandeweyerstudios.be/tw/ - for pictures of Trevor's work
    Last edited by jrc750; 12 October 2009, 06:11 PM. Reason: more info added

Comment

Cheers for the reply.Have I missed any of the main cue makers out.Does trevor White have a website?

Comment

Originally Posted by CueBallKick View Post
        Hi, im looking at buying a 1 peice cue for around £350 to £400.The only problem is I would like to try it before I buy it.Do any of the top cue makers allow this.

The main three I had in mind was either Mike Wooldridge, Trevor White or John Parris.I have also struggled to find any websites or other info on Trevor White and Mike Wooldridge.

Any help, muh appreciated.
        Nothing wrong with any of the makers you've suggested, i would also consider Robin Cook & Tony Glover.
        Difficult to try before you buy with any of the makers as in this price bracket the cue will be made to your individual requirements & spec, rather than one out the rack.
        If i were you i would try some cues generally get an idea of what spec might suit you ( you may know already ) and let your chosen cue maker do the rest & with all the makers mentioned you won't have anything to worry about, just give them as much info as you can about what you like.

Comment

You could visit Stu at greenbaize.

http://www.greenbaize.com/gbl.htm

He has a good range of cues for different prices. And if you try many out you never know you might find the perfect cue from one of the other makes.
          sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Why does no one mention Dave Coutts, Tony Wilshaw and Tony Ions??? They all make a great cue.
            sigpic <---New Website
            Dan Shelton Cues on Facebook

Comment

Originally Posted by totlxtc View Post
              Why does no one mention Dave Coutts, Tony Wilshaw and Tony Ions??? They all make a great cue.
              You just have........

Comment

Of all the great cuemakers already mentioned, only Tony Wilshaw has a shop where, if you're lucky, you might be able to try out any of the cues he has in stock. The only problem is that his cues are popular and sell out very quickly.

What I'd do is second what Rob said and suggest Stu Green at green baize. He normally has about 300 - 450 good quality cues in stock and you can try out the ones you're most interested in.

Stu sells Mike Wooldridge cues, Mastercue and his own GBL Champion cues which are excellent quality and value for money. You can even contact him by 'phone and/or mail and discuss what you're looking for; that's what I did for a friend who broke his cue a week before the start of our pool season! I contacted Stu and explained what my pal was looking for, sent him specs and then Stu went through his stock and sent me pics of the cues he had fitting the specs. He then had a go with the cues my pal had selected and sent a description of the way they played. My pal chose the cue Stu recommended, and received it 1 day after the payment was made. The cue is perfect - exactly what my pal wanted, and the craftsmanship of the cue is excellent too. It's a GBL champion, a maple 1pc with ebony butt, and 4 lower splices of kingwood over thin white veneers. All the splices are level, top and bottom, the taper is lovely and elegant and the cue plays like a dream - solid but very responsive and forward-balanced.

The most impressive thing is the fact that he did all this by 'phone and mail, with only my help, and this cue is the best my friend's ever had!
                Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

Originally Posted by KeithinFrance View Post
                  Of all the great cuemakers already mentioned, only Tony Wilshaw has a shop where, if you're lucky, you might be able to try out any of the cues he has in stock. The only problem is that his cues are popular and sell out very quickly.

What I'd do is second what Rob said and suggest Stu Green at green baize. He normally has about 300 - 450 good quality cues in stock and you can try out the ones you're most interested in.

Stu sells Mike Wooldridge cues, Mastercue and his own GBL Champion cues which are excellent quality and value for money. You can even contact him by 'phone and/or mail and discuss what you're looking for; that's what I did for a friend who broke his cue a week before the start of our pool season! I contacted Stu and explained what my pal was looking for, sent him specs and then Stu went through his stock and sent me pics of the cues he had fitting the specs. He then had a go with the cues my pal had selected and sent a description of the way they played. My pal chose the cue Stu recommended, and received it 1 day after the payment was made. The cue is perfect - exactly what my pal wanted, and the craftsmanship of the cue is excellent too. It's a GBL champion, a maple 1pc with ebony butt, and 4 lower splices of kingwood over thin white veneers. All the splices are level, top and bottom, the taper is lovely and elegant and the cue plays like a dream - solid but very responsive and forward-balanced.

The most impressive thing is the fact that he did all this by 'phone and mail, with only my help, and this cue is the best my friend's ever had!
                  I totally agree with Keith, Stuart is very helpful and is a top bloke to deal with.GBL champion cues are top quality.

I find these cues more value for money especially after I heard from a very reliable source that some of the top cuemakers are getting there cues made from Thailand.
                  My deep screw shot
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHXTv4Dt-ZQ

Comment

Originally Posted by sunny3909 View Post
                    I totally agree with Keith, Stuart is very helpful and is a top bloke to deal with.GBL champion cues are top quality.

I find these cues more value for money especially after I heard from a very reliable source that some of the top cuemakers are getting there cues made from Thailand.
                    Yeah, Sunny, Stu was a superb help:knowledgeable, reactive, helpful and very friendly.

You're right about the quality and value for money of the cues, too, but I wouldn't believe anybody who says that top cuemakers get their cues made in Thailand; sourcing materials, yes; sourcing shafts, perhaps; sourcing made-up cues, no.
                    Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

[QUOTE=KeithinFrance;425773]Of all the great cuemakers already mentioned, only Tony Wilshaw has a shop where, if you're lucky, you might be able to try out any of the cues he has in stock. The only problem is that his cues are popular and sell out very quickly.

He does have some on cues on display so you could get lucky......plus there's a snooker hall next door, so i'm sure there wouldn't be a problem trying some Mike Hallett was practising in there last time i went........:snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by KeithinFrance View Post
                        but I wouldn't believe anybody who says that top cuemakers get their cues made in Thailand; sourcing materials, yes; sourcing shafts, perhaps; sourcing made-up cues, no.
                        I said some of them not all of them.I would make it clear that the cuemaker in question is neither trevor white nor mike woolridge.
                        My source of information is a top veteran pro who's credibility can't be questioned.

sourcing materials- yes
                        sourcing shafts-yes
                        sourcing semi-finshed cues and finshing and badging and selling them in standard range - very much possible.

I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST ANY CUEMAKER BUT I SEE NO REASON WHATSOEVER TO HIDE THIS INFO FROM THE FORUM MEMBERS.
                        My deep screw shot
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHXTv4Dt-ZQ

Comment

Calm down!

I'm not doubting you, it's just that we've heard this same old story time after time after time, and the rumours have never been proven. Of course everything is possible, but I'd hesitate before presenting these rumours as facts; after all a cuemaker's rep is his livelihood.

Comment

Thanks for all the help chaps.I think im going to have to book some time off work for this as I live in Plymouth and really want to try the cue before I buy it.Green Baize and Tony Wilshaw sound like the type of place im after to look.

Comment

As you've got a quite a way to travel i'd give Tony a ring to check what he's got on display plus he's not always there although he does have a guy in the shop usually.
                              Craftsman Cues could also be worth a look lots of cues on display with a table to try 'em on, they do other makes as well as there own & are very helpful, as is Stu at Greenbaize, don't think you'll go wrong at any we've mentioned.

Comment

Working...
                              X