Info on top cue makers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by CueBallKick View Post
    Thanks for all the help chaps.I think im going to have to book some time off work for this as I live in Plymouth and really want to try the cue before I buy it.Green Baize and Tony Wilshaw sound like the type of place im after to look.
    Good luck with your search - Craftsman, Green Baize and Tony Wilshaw are all worth a look, but I'd 'phone Tony before going, just to see what sort of stock he's got in.
    Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

Also if you are after very unusual specs it would be best to phone to see what people have. Like for instance a 60" cue.

I'd definatelt give Stu a visit though.
      sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Originally Posted by RGCirencester View Post
        Also if you are after very unusual specs it would be best to phone to see what people have. Like for instance a 60" cue.

I'd definatelt give Stu a visit though.
        Hey Rob! Long time, no see - your spelling's still as good as ever!

What's new with you?
        Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

Originally Posted by KeithinFrance View Post
          Hey Rob! Long time, no see - your spelling's still as good as ever!

What's new with you?
          Check your PM's for my essay reply Keith...

Comment

Thanks for all the help chaps.I think im going to have to book some time off work for this as I live in Plymouth and really want to try the cue before I buy it.Green Baize and Tony Wilshaw sound like the type of place im after to look.

Tony hasn't got any 1 piece cues on the rack, but his 3/4 cues are quality, I have two of them, but give him a ring before you travel to see what he has.
            Craftsman have a showroom full of cues, various brands including their own, and they know their stuff.

Comment

Dave Coutts in Lincoln will have a fair few quality cues to try out.
              What I've done before though, is ask some dealers if you can buy 2 or 3 cues and send the others back. So pay for 3 and when they arrive , choose 1 and send the others back for a refund. You'll only lose on postage 1 way, less hassle than travelling all that distance. Been there done that lol and sometimes not found 1 I wanted

Comment

Mr.O I was wondering if you come across any Mast[trevor white] cues, I did notice,late,
                that you had sold two. It seems based on what I have read it is best to buy second
                hand, rather then wait?, since I have again heard one can wait a while for the order
                from the cue maker. I know "don't rush a craftmans" .
                If any other Mast cues come across your table please let me know.
                Thanks

Comment

ok no problemo

Comment

Originally Posted by KeithinFrance View Post
                    Calm down!

I'm not doubting you, it's just that we've heard this same old story time after time after time, and the rumours have never been proven. Of course everything is possible, but I'd hesitate before presenting these rumours as facts; after all a cuemaker's rep is his livelihood.
                    Old saying...."no smoke without fire"

I think people might be surprised if they were fully aware of just what cues are made where and finished where, there is a difference.

Speaking for myself, EVERY cue with my name on it is made solely by me and me alone, in Wales, using timber sourced virtually exclusively from UK based merchants. I deal with absolutely no one from the far east, other than to sell cues to people there.

Comment

[B]I think people might be surprised if they were fully aware of just what cues are made where and finished where, there is a difference.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree...........

Speaking for myself, EVERY cue with my name on it is made solely by me and me alone, in Wales, using timber sourced virtually exclusively from UK based merchants. I deal with absolutely no one from the far east, other than to sell cues to people there.[/QUOTE]

I don't think anyone's doubting you at all Trevor.......but good to hear your thoughts on it.....straight, direct & to the point......
                      Last edited by CueAntW147; 15 October 2009, 06:09 PM.

Comment

I have some time booked off to hunt for a decent cue.Im hoping I dont need to travel any further North than Tony Wilshaw.

An ideal cue would be maple as thats what I have been use to for the last 10 years (Parris)Would anyone have any idea if he keeps maple cues in stock by any chance?

Comment

I have some time booked off to hunt for a decent cue.Im hoping I dont need to travel any further North than Tony Wilshaw.

An ideal cue would be maple as thats what I have been use to for the last 10 years (Parris)Would anyone have any idea if he keeps maple cues in stock by any chance?
                          Best play safe & give him a ring mate........i'd do that with any other places you might be thinking of going..........might save you a wasted trip....

Comment

I know the problem you are having. It would be great to have a "try before you buy" shop. My local one closed down. Why maple? I used one for 25+ years and am now thinking of going over to ash. Tried one out and there seems to be a better spring to it. Imagination or what?

Comment

Originally Posted by Bigmeek View Post
                              I know the problem you are having. It would be great to have a "try before you buy" shop. My local one closed down. Why maple? I used one for 25+ years and am now thinking of going over to ash. Tried one out and there seems to be a better spring to it. Imagination or what?
                              Going to be dependant on the particular cue which is why I think it would be best going somewhere that has a lot of cues. Some people prefer maple over ash for aesthetics, some people find the grain of the ash distracting, I've heard people say they prefer the sound of ash/maple when you strike the ball even.

The top cuemakers will most likely have a few cues lying around but they are so busy with custom orders I doubt it will be many. Somewhere like craftsman or greenbaize you could try as many cues as you want and hopefully find one you really love

Comment

Originally Posted by trevs1 View Post
                                Old saying...."no smoke without fire"

I think people might be surprised if they were fully aware of just what cues are made where and finished where, there is a difference.

Speaking for myself, EVERY cue with my name on it is made solely by me and me alone, in Wales, using timber sourced virtually exclusively from UK based merchants. I deal with absolutely no one from the far east, other than to sell cues to people there.
                                i wouldn't be at all suprised mate! but if you know what you are looking at 99% of the time you can tell.
                                https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Working...
                                X