playing pool with snooker cue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Cueboy88 View Post
    If it's American pool you're playing mate, don't use your snooker cue. Most clubs don't allow it anyway but it can damage the ferrule quite easily. I suggest if you want to play American pool using a Predator Z shaft. I started playing snooker now I play 9-ball worldwide and that's what I use, as the ferrule is much smaller than other pool cues.
    Thanks man.
    But Z-shaft is a little too much mooney for me...
    One question for you though: what's so good about it?

Comment

Low deflection... And plays similar to snooker cue. But I am playing pool with snooker cue made by Robin Cook. And it is quite nice
      You cannot improve your game if you don't have a cue and snooker table
      BTW vucko means wolfie

Comment

Originally Posted by RGCirencester View Post
        I've never been to a club that doesn't allow it? And how exactly will it damage your cue quite easily?

I played pool with a naff 10mm tip cheap argos cue for 2 years and its still as straight (and rubbish) as the day i got it.
        Most Rileys don't allow you to use brass ferruled cues, Mark Gray the Euro number 1who was a snooker pro got Robin Cook to make him a snooker styled pool cue, so did Drago.

Comment

Originally Posted by sneaky_russian View Post
          Thanks man.
          But Z-shaft is a little too much mooney for me...
          One question for you though: what's so good about it?
          I know they're not cheap but compared with other quality pool cues they are.

Comment

Most Rileys don't allow you to use brass ferruled cues, Mark Gray the Euro number 1who was a snooker pro got Robin Cook to make him a snooker styled pool cue, so did Drago.
            ↲I've been to quite a few rileys and never been stopped using brass ferrules? What reason is there to ban them
            sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

↲I've been to quite a few rileys and never been stopped using brass ferrules? What reason is there to ban them
              It can damage the balls and table.

Comment

sorry but surely if that were true they wouldn't be used in snooker either?

Comment

If you can play UK pool with snooker cue, why do the cues made specifically for UK pool have 8.5 mm tips? Are the balls smaller? Or is this because the table is 6ft, as far as I remember?

Comment

Originally Posted by Szymon Bartus View Post
                    If you can play UK pool with snooker cue, why do the cues made specifically for UK pool have 8.5 mm tips? Are the balls smaller? Or is this because the table is 6ft, as far as I remember?
                    Yes the balls used for uk pool are smaller than those used for snooker. The smallest tip i've ever seen was 6mm but i wouldn't like to play with it!!!

Comment

sorry but surely if that were true they wouldn't be used in snooker either?
                      US pool balls are heavier and bigger than snooker balls mate.

Comment

US pool balls are heavier and bigger than snooker balls mate.
                        I'm well aware of this fact but i can hit a bowling ball with my cue... It,s not the ball that will break. I have never heard anyone including cuemakers say brass ferrule damages balls before

Comment

People often play jump shots in 9 ball and I get a vague impression that a finer tip might be more likely to go through the cloth if the shot is played very recklessly.

And hitting the heavier balls may compress the tip more (esp if it's worn down somewhat), increasing the chances of the brass ferrule hitting the ball.
                          Tear up that manure-fed astroturf!

Comment

Yes,but for jump shot you have to use jump cue and you are not allowed to use your playing cue...
                            You cannot improve your game if you don't have a cue and snooker table
                            BTW vucko means wolfie

Comment

True, so I guess we're left with the tip compression issue...

Comment

Massey shots are popular for 9 ball too, with the cue held at a near vertical angle. The risk to the cloth can't be helped for snooker beyond banning that type of shot, but for 9 ball it's practical to simply ban the use of a snooker cue.

Comment

Working...
                                X