No announcement yet.

playing pool with snooker cue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snooker cue for american pool? Even snooker pros who have nearly perfect cue actions don't do that.
    If you want to play snooker to improve your potting at american pool, one suggestion...don't. Because of frequent switching of equipment such as ball sizes, cloth, etc...you'll be crap at both games, especially snooker. Play snooker to improve your snooker game.

Comment

Originally Posted by ace man View Post
      Snooker cue for american pool? Even snooker pros who have nearly perfect cue actions don't do that.
      If you want to play snooker to improve your potting at american pool, one suggestion...don't. Because of frequent switching of equipment such as ball sizes, cloth, etc...you'll be crap at both games, especially snooker. Play snooker to improve your snooker game.
      I'm sorry man but everything you wrote here(except 1-st sentense) doesn't make any sense!
      1."Even snooker pros who have nearly perfect cue actions don't do that." - yes, they do!and what the hell does cue action has to do with choosing a cue for pool???
      2."Because of frequent switching of equipment such as ball sizes, cloth, etc...you'll be crap at both games, especially snooker." - how is the ball size equipment??? how come because of playing more snooker and pool I'll be crap at both games???I thought because of people play more they actually get better?am I right?
      It doesn't matter what kind of billiards you play (pool,snooker,billiards or russian pyramid) you will get better!
      and the reason you'll improve your potting while playing snooker is very simple: the smaller the balls are the the more acurate you have to be!!!

nice try though..... =))))))

Comment

In general I think it requires more precision using a small snooker tip. You can easier put unwanted side to the cueball, by not hitting it precise, than if you a bigger tip. Also you can easier underhit a backspin thereby totally missing the shot. Obviously this would mean that it shouldn´t be a problem if your tecnique is good enough, but even then more care is required.
        ....its not called potting its called snooker. Quote: WildJONESEYE
        "Its called snooker not potting" Quote: Rory McLeod

Comment

Originally Posted by sneaky_russian View Post
          I'm sorry man but everything you wrote here(except 1-st sentense) doesn't make any sense!
          1."Even snooker pros who have nearly perfect cue actions don't do that." - yes, they do!and what the hell does cue action has to do with choosing a cue for pool???
          2."Because of frequent switching of equipment such as ball sizes, cloth, etc...you'll be crap at both games, especially snooker." - how is the ball size equipment??? how come because of playing more snooker and pool I'll be crap at both games???I thought because of people play more they actually get better?am I right?
          It doesn't matter what kind of billiards you play (pool,snooker,billiards or russian pyramid) you will get better!
          and the reason you'll improve your potting while playing snooker is very simple: the smaller the balls are the the more acurate you have to be!!!

nice try though..... =))))))
          1. They did use snooker cues for 9ball at times, but generally they do not. Not if they are at least a little bit serious. Ronnie O'Sullivan played a little bit of pool. He used 11.75mm Z shaft. He could have used his snooker cue, but didn't. Steve Davis had a custom built pool cue, like snooker cue, but with larger tip. Mark Gray, former snooker pro, a very strong player on Eurotor also uses a snooker like cue with bigger tip. Tony Drago as well. Go figure.

2. Sure enough, if you played nothing but snooker for several years, you would get more accurate on the pool table (certainly with center ball hits). That's not the issue here. But if you play one game one week, and the next week you switch to another, that can't be good. This is my concern also. You can't make any progress at snooker if you interrupt it often by playing games which have different ball sizes, cushions and cloths. You'll mess up your muscle memory. Have you ever heard of pro pool players practicing snooker or 3cushion billiards to improve their pool? I haven't. Pro players usually stick to what they know best.

Comment

Originally Posted by ace man View Post
            Have you ever heard of pro pool players practicing snooker or 3cushion billiards to improve their pool? I haven't. Pro players usually stick to what they know best.
            Actually YES man! =)))
            My friend's coach ( "Russian Pyramids" European champion) plays snooker as well.And he is pretty good at both games!

Comment

Mark Gray is using snooker cue with 10mm tip. I have played pool and snooker at the same time and I was bad in both games. They are totally different games... Now I am playing just snooker and I can notice significant improvement in my game. So my advice is stick to one game only...
              You cannot improve your game if you don't have a cue and snooker table
              BTW vucko means wolfie

Comment

Well, i make my own cues, i have no problem playing snooker with my one piece Solid English Oak cue, this is a very stable cue many people said would not work, but it does! It has a 9.5mm tip and feels lovely to play with.

On the other hand i also use this cue to break when i play World rules 8 ball pool. Great for power. But once i have broke i change to my 8mm tipped One piece Ash cue. Smaller tip enables me to generate more spin in any direction, but if i make a mistake it is slightly more exagerated!

The cues i make have been made from locally sourced wood, my supplier is a forrestry expert for the Nation Forrest and i get my timber from him, he can tell me exactly where my wood has come from. It is brilliant when my friends ask where did you get the timber from and i tell them which woods/forrest it came out of. My current Ash cue was made from Ash from a wood about 5 miles from my house, i may be a bit sad in that respect but i think it is ace!

have fun playing, just remember wood is a natural living thing, it moves grows, shrinks and changes each and every day. The do this as they take on water (moisture int he air) and then when they dry out. Dont balme your cue for a bad shot just because it is bent slightly! Most players learn to play with a bent cue! Just like when Hendry broke his cue, when his new one came which was staright he could not play with it! His old cue was bent about 8mm! Just learn to play with it!

Have fun! Mark.

Comment

A lot of jump cues have brass ferrules. I am sure brass ferrules are allowed in 9 ball in the world championship. Chris Melling has been using some one piece cue with a brass ferrule many times in 9 ball tournaments. He is currently playing in the US Open.

May be brass is banned in some places where a lot of bangers miscued and ripped the cloth.
                  www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Working...
                  X