how are cues made ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how are cues made ?

hi can anyone tell me the process of how a cue is made are they turned on a lathe or is it done by hand ? and a splice just a part of the cue thats cut out and filled again with another type of wood ? or is there more to it
    i know it sound silly but i really dont have a clue how its done

There's lots of info on the net if you google "making snooker cues" or something similar. Dragon Cues website www.dragoncues.co.uk has some pictures of some of the stages. Have a look. Good place to start. www.fcsnooker.co.uk has a brief summary of the process but this might not be detailed enough for you. I saw a video of John Parris making a cue once. Very interesting.

Comment

Originally Posted by Bigmeek View Post
      There's lots of info on the net if you google "making snooker cues" or something similar. Dragon Cues website www.dragoncues.co.uk has some pictures of some of the stages. Have a look. Good place to start. www.fcsnooker.co.uk has a brief summary of the process but this might not be detailed enough for you. I saw a video of John Parris making a cue once. Very interesting.
      Do you still have the link for JP video? I am interested to look at it too. Thanks.
      My cueing sucks

Comment

Originally Posted by xander View Post
        hi can anyone tell me the process of how a cue is made are they turned on a lathe or is it done by hand ? and a splice just a part of the cue thats cut out and filled again with another type of wood ? or is there more to it
        i know it sound silly but i really dont have a clue how its done
        A lot of process between a piece of Ash timber, down to shaft, crafting of the splices, etc. The best way is to watch a maker making it. Both Science and Art involved. I have been watching something like this for many months combined, but still haven't tried making one yet. Enjoy the games more than making the instrument. But it's good to know how a cue is made. Lots of interesting steps to watch
        It's in the Shaft

Comment

Sorry Brendan. Can't remember where I saw it about. Might have been one of the options on the BBC Red Button during the World Championships.

Comment

Some pics on Robin cues site too.
            Different makers will do bit differently. Machine and butterfly different from hand.
            Some makes use plain not lathe seen the odd oval cue :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Bigmeek View Post
              Sorry Brendan. Can't remember where I saw it about. Might have been one of the options on the BBC Red Button during the World Championships.
              Owh...that's quite disspointing....hmmm.....
              My cueing sucks

Comment

Working...
              X