cue length

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=poolqjunkie;440815]A lot of players prefer to have a cue just

But the length also depends on the balance point. For a cue that is a bit on the long side, and is very butt heavy, you will be holding it very close to the balance point and that will limit your power shot range.

Hi poolqjuckie, I done a lot of research, into the cue lenght and balance point, but you don't find much info on balance point in relation to shots, IE: like screw and power shots for example. Can you give some more detail on the above post and any other info you might have pls.:snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by cazmac1 View Post
      The modern snooker player tends to go for about 10, but if you have ever read the Joe Davis book he says the ideal is around 12 to 15. I think my bridge fits into this bracket. I find that shortening the bridge makes me miss more. If you watch players on the box, when they are too close to the cushion and have a choice of putting there hand on the table (short bridge) or putting there hand on the cushion rail (long bridge) they go for the long bridge. Cramping as Joe Davis calls it, this is worst than having a long bridge. The problem is even more noticeable when the following situation happens. when cuing diagonally off a cushion, and your cue is too short you only have two options open to you. 1: try and get your hand on the table (cramping) or put your hand on top of the rail and then your striking down on the ball (danger of applying side). However if you have a longer cue you can easily put your hand on the side of the cushion rail and reach ball and cue nicely.
      This is my view, and I would say to anyone who is thinking of shortening their cue to think very hard. It is my view that if the cue is correctly balance for you, then there should be no problem playing with a long cue. It just doesn’t make any sense that playing with a shorter cue can improve your game.
      the thing about playing with a cue that is a tad too long is that you don't feel the control that you would have if you played with a shorter cue. It just feels awkward in general

Comment

wayync,

As I said earlier and also in other thread which related to this 1, here are my honest opinions:-

1) The IDEAL length for your cue is when you take a normal shot, the edge of the ferrule has to be around 10" (some will have it @ 9" or up to 12") from the V-bridge. It is depend on which one is comfy for you;

2) Considering point #1 above, the IDEAL length of your cue butt behind your grip is around 2"/3" and again, this will be depend on which is comfy for you; &

3) After you have 2 points as above "corrected" for you, than this will be the most important thing you need to have for your cue. Mike Wooldridge's most famous quote:THE FEEL of the cue. This will be regarding the balancing point, the weight, grip diameter and the quality of the shaft.

These 3 points (and I am very2 sure about them) as above are what you really need to experiment with. This also explains why some serious players having 5 (or more...!!) custom cues in their collections. It is because of the quest of a PERFECT CUE.

Conclusion : THE CUE LENGTH IS A MINOR ISSUE.

Hope this helps.
        Last edited by brendan147; 15 January 2010, 04:47 AM.
        My cueing sucks

Comment

Originally Posted by brendan147 View Post
          wayync,

As I said earlier and also in other thread which related to this 1, here are my honest opinions:-

1) The IDEAL length for your cue is when you take a normal shot, the edge of the ferrule has to be around 10" (some will have it @ 9" or up to 12") from the V-bridge. It is depend on which one is comfy for you;

2) Considering point #1 above, the IDEAL length of your cue butt behind your grip is around 2"/3" and again, this will be depend on which is comfy for you; &

3) After you have 2 points as above "corrected" for you, than this will be the most important thing you need to have for your cue. Mike Wooldridge's most famous quote:THE FEEL of the cue. This will be regarding the balancing point, the weight, grip diameter and the quality of the shaft.

These 3 points (and I am very2 sure about them) as above are what you really need to experiment with. This also explains why some serious players having 5 (or more...!!) custom cues in their collections. It is because of the quest of a PERFECT CUE.

Conclusion : THE CUE LENGTH IS A MINOR ISSUE.

Hope this helps.
          Ok, so I am using a 57" cue

I am holding the cue 2" from the end and in my normal cueing stance there is 14.5" of cue from my V-bridge to the tip.

Does that mean this cue is too long for me? if the ideal length is 10-12" then should I be using a 54.5" length cue?

Comment

Hi Wayync,
            I know where you’re coming from with this one, many players teach themselves
            over a period of time to hold the cue with the back of the hand level with the end of the butt, I myself have this habit. I think this is a bad habit to form, as you are restricting the length of cue you "can" play with. This is ok for standard shots where you’re not reaching or playing an awkward shot, as I've explained in my previous post. I suppose you can add on extensions, but I don't think this is what the extension was designed for.
            when the white ball is on the cushion it is impossible to hold your cue at the end of the butt, so this proves that anyone who plays snooker has to vary their grip in relation to the position of the cue ball, so why not get a longer cue that’s an inch longer and learn to hold the cue an inch further up the butt.
            Just want to add one last thing to this and this is that from experimenting I found that a minimum length of 58 inch is require this applies to all players regardless of any other factors. Because it is more to do with the table design as I’ve mention before.
            I would challenge people to try cuing of the cushion as I described, using a short cue then a long cue and see how you get on
            :snooker::snooker::snooker::snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by wayync View Post
              Ok, so I am using a 57" cue

I am holding the cue 2" from the end and in my normal cueing stance there is 14.5" of cue from my V-bridge to the tip.
              Check your bridge hand. Is it bended too much? A slight bend is enough. For your height, I don't think 57" cue should be a problem for you.

Originally Posted by cazmac1 View Post
              I think this is a bad habit to form, as you are restricting the length of cue you "can" play with.
              Very2 agree with this...:snooker:
              My cueing sucks

Comment

Working...
              X