No announcement yet.

Fedia's trick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You make it sound like the search for the holy grail I though I'd was going to cry reading your post. any how I think you will never get two people to agree on what makes a good cue. I know I guy down the pub who is a very good pool player and he thinks anyone who spends more than £50 on a cue has lost there marbles.
    The point being lost here, and that is don't buy cue's from ebay Unless you known the source IE: Not some joe making silly claims and statments. A fool and his money are easly parted.
    Last edited by cazmac1; 3 January 2010, 10:30 AM.

Comment

I cried twice writing it!

Comment

Dear Jb1...

I was going to quote yer post but it is such a long one...

You sum up the frustration of trying to find the right cue perfectly. Yours wore out. I have done the same with one and the other got pinched and the search goes on and on and on.
        I have had so many trying to replace the one or two that I really liked and so far the only ones I have liked have been owned by other people who wont sell.

I am not getting any younger and am fed up looking so I think that maybe soon I am going to give up looking and just try and get used to one that I have already. Either that or else order one cue from every top cue maker to my spec in the hope one of them gets it right....There should be a name for this cue addiction...Dominic Dale Syndrome or something.:snooker:

Comment

Absolutely spot on.

Dominisim perhaps, or Daleitis?

Comment

Originally Posted by jb134 View Post
            Thats a good point Jonny.

Here's my experience for what its worth, I use a Hunt and O'Byrne which I have had for many years. To my eternal regret when I played a lot of snooker and a lot of pro ams and travelled about a bit, the cue spent a lot of time in my car boot.

This, combined with that stupid, pointless, brass rail thing on UK pool tables caused and allowed the soft grain in the points on the underside of the cue to wear away a bit. Whilst the cue still plays well, this annoys me, also my failing eyesight means I want a new cue with a bigger tip to start playing again.

I have had many, many different cues and made countless enquiries in trying to obtain a cue with similar playing characteristics to my own. In the process of this, I have become a cue anorak I have learned to splice cues, put joints in, made ferrules of different materials blah blah blah

I have, as yet not found a replacement even close. Possibly my problem is exacerbated by starting to play with such a fine cue (this was by accident, I got it for a pittance not even knowing what it was).

I have bought dozens off ebay, only buying when I can see the specs are slightly bigger than my own (as it is easier to reduce than enlarge) and only when I see clear pictures of the whole cue and if necessary, after asking the vendor questions, which I keep in case I need to make a complaint to ebay.

I have NEVER, NEVER, NEVER bought a cheap cue as the chances of getting a good one are virtually nil due to materials used etcetc and I have never bought a really expensive one (£200+) due to possible difficulties in resale and due to the fact I do not have the heart to rip anyone off.

In short, my own problem has really been cause by a combination of not looking after my cue properly (which I bitterly regret and curse my then ignorance) and my need for a bigger tip, I do not now believe this can be completely solved via ebay or anywhere else for that matter, I believe my search must end, and I must bite the bullet, I believe I must now get a cue made to my spec and learn to play with it.

However, in saying that I also believe that once a person becomes a "cue person", they are forever lost to coveting their neighbours cue and believeing that out there somewhere is the cue for them.

Am really sorry to all site users, in reading this back it is a completely pointless and probably useless post, however, I've typed it now so I'm hitting submit!
            why don't you get the cue lengthened, by splicing the butt, this would then give you the chance to cut the length down after, leaving the tip bigger than it was before, if you love the cue that much, any good cue maker would do that for a reasonable fee, they would also refinished it as new.

Comment

Thanks for your suggestion, I apologise for forgetting to reply.

I could get that done, I could probably even do it myself, I was looking the other day and by taking the top inch off I could have almost a full 10mm ferrule, so 9.5 and a refinish would probably be fine.

Also the top arrow is a good bit from the base of the ferrule.

I have thought about it in the past, the reason I have never done it is at the moment I can go back to and play with the cue and I suppose I have it there as a sort of security blanket almost. If I get that job done and don't like it, I have nothing.

My plan has been once I have a cue I like as well as that one I'll get that job done in case it turns out better.

andonandonandon.........................

Comment

he has a rival! ex member and funny man fire frets. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BALDOCK-BROWN-...item2c5d81150f
                https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Not bad price that Andrew 10 tips for £500 !!!!!!!

I don't think they are the only one's in existence , think Geoff Large had a quite a few from memory and reckon you must have a few in your Aladdin's cave !
                  Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
                    Not bad price that Andrew 10 tips for £500 !!!!!!!

I don't think they are the only one's in existence , think Geoff Large had a quite a few from memory and reckon you must have a few in your Aladdin's cave !

and they are practically being given away at the cue shop in levenshulme as they are not a very good tip.

Comment

Exactly Andy........if they were any good they would still be in production today .
                      Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Yes and People wouldn't have them to Sell now adays if they were that Good!!

They are total Rubish .....Stay Clear!

Gaz.

Comment

I bought a cue from the leather case with fedia24 po £ 1400.00.
                          if I were to buy directly from John Parr but wait more than 1 year I would pay the same amount as John Parr only sends to the total amount stated I would have to pay import taxes here in Brazil are very high and would be the same price I paid the fedia24.
                          I'm just afraid of not getting the cue or be fake.

Comment

Originally Posted by delino147 View Post
                            I bought a cue from the leather case with fedia24 po £ 1400.00.
                            if I were to buy directly from John Parr but wait more than 1 year I would pay the same amount as John Parr only sends to the total amount stated I would have to pay import taxes here in Brazil are very high and would be the same price I paid the fedia24.
                            I'm just afraid of not getting the cue or be fake.
                            why oh why would you not e-mail me!!!!!!

Comment

Do you find it absurd to pay for a cue value of £ 1500.00
                              I tried to negotiate this cue http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...3#ht_632wt_932
                              the seller does not represent a value of £ 45.00 so I do not pay import duties and did not send via fedex or dhl
                              if I buy the cue for £ 550.00 I will pay more tax and 80% cue will be £ 990.00 + shipping value which is also levied taxes
                              the Fedia24 declared a value of £ 35.00 and sent by FedEx did not pay taxes
                              that's why he sells many cues
                              I wonder why do not you send with a lower value?
                              annoying people

Comment

Originally Posted by tira ficha View Post
                                Do you find it absurd to pay for a cue value of £ 1500.00
                                I tried to negotiate this cue http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...3#ht_632wt_932
                                the seller does not represent a value of £ 45.00 so I do not pay import duties and did not send via fedex or dhl
                                if I buy the cue for £ 550.00 I will pay more tax and 80% cue will be £ 990.00 + shipping value which is also levied taxes
                                the Fedia24 declared a value of £ 35.00 and sent by FedEx did not pay taxes
                                that's why he sells many cues
                                I wonder why do not you send with a lower value?
                                annoying people
                                the seller is a member here ask him.

Comment

Working...
                                X