Custom Cue Surcharge/Fee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Cue Surcharge/Fee

Any idea how much they (e.g. Mike Woodridge) are charging? I have seen one who is charging around GBP50. So, what is the standard price for such service excluding the material costs?

Thank you very much. Every answer is much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Patrick

Can you maybe clarify your question, Patrick? I'm not sure what it is you want to know ... are you talking about the cost of a cue, or a surcharge to alter specs or a fee for finding/sending the cue etc? Is it just for Mike Wooldridge cues or any of the top makers? If you want to know how much one of Mike's cues is, I suggest you try here: http://www.handmadecues.com/index.htm and join up as a member in order to access the prices, in the on-line shop.

The more info you can give us, the better we'll be able to help ...
    Keith
    Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

Originally Posted by KeithinFrance View Post
      Can you maybe clarify your question, Patrick? I'm not sure what it is you want to know ... are you talking about the cost of a cue, or a surcharge to alter specs or a fee for finding/sending the cue etc? Is it just for Mike Wooldridge cues or any of the top makers? If you want to know how much one of Mike's cues is, I suggest you try here: http://www.handmadecues.com/index.htm and join up as a member in order to access the prices, in the on-line shop.

The more info you can give us, the better we'll be able to help ...
      Keith
      Actually, I'm confused by my own question too. LOL. Anyway, I was meant to say "customizing surcharge", where they charge customers for altering the specification (e.g. tip size) to the customers' requirements.

Also, if I wanted a cue with an existing design but I preferred to have a different type of wood for the splicings, how much would they charge me for?

I just want to know the usual rate for most cue makers. Mike Woodridge was mentioned as an example (e.g.). Thank you.

Comment

Originally Posted by PT66 View Post
        Actually, I'm confused by my own question too. LOL. Anyway, I was meant to say "customizing surcharge", where they charge customers for altering the specification (e.g. tip size) to the customers' requirements.

Also, if I wanted a cue with an existing design but I preferred to have a different type of wood for the splicings, how much would they charge me for?

I just want to know the usual rate for most cue makers. Mike Woodridge was mentioned as an example (e.g.). Thank you.
        I don't think all makers are charging the same 'skill cost'. If you ask a Banker to go out and buy a McDonald for you, you have to pay more $$ to him for doing it comparing to sending out a Cashier to do the same job.
        It's in the Shaft

Comment

I don't understand why certain cue makers charge more for a custom size, seems to me as just a bit of a con. Craftsman, Mastercraft, Coutts and many others offer the service on all their cues as standard, surely it should be all part of the service of buying a cue, its a personal choice and we all come in different sizes ourselves.

Its like going to have a suit made and then being told that they can only offer a certain leg length and waist size, if you want longer then you'll have to pay a surcharge! In other words you are being conned.

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
            I don't understand why certain cue makers charge more for a custom size, seems to me as just a bit of a con. Craftsman, Mastercraft, Coutts and many others offer the service on all their cues as standard, surely it should be all part of the service of buying a cue, its a personal choice and we all come in different sizes ourselves.

Its like going to have a suit made and then being told that they can only offer a certain leg length and waist size, if you want longer then you'll have to pay a surcharge! In other words you are being conned.
            Well wen u buy a suit, that is the case. the reason we hav to pay more is that, it takes skill to do that. it takes skill to make something specifically and not part of the normal range. like, it might be easy to put together 100 standard cues, 57 inches, 18/19oz, 29mm butt, 9.5mm tip. now to alter any of these specs would take a certain skill. like, wat if a buyer wants 32mm butt, but 11mm tip, and he wants it at 62inches long, BUT only wants it to weigh 14 ounces. it takes a real skilled person to pick good wood, thats light enough to fulfill these criteria and put it together, to become a GOOD playing cue. that is why you pay for specifications.

like, if i bought a XXXXL suit, it isnt as easy as just increasing the measurement of everything by 1 inch. im only 5' 7" so things like, length of pants leg would hav to stay the same. this means the maker would hav to go cut pieces specifically tailored for me, instead of cutting 100 layers at a time, to make the standard size... i know cause my parents are tailors. this is why you pay more for custom. these guys can put together what u need specifically. i doubt any average joe could even put together a cue, thats 18 ounces exact, even if they were instructed by one of these cue makers step by step.

Craftsman, Mastercraft, Coutts make more cues, and charge a little bit less than the higher end. but thats also because, the craftsmanship isnt as good. like with the best makers, you know they pick the BEST woods, and they do a better job on intricate details.

i think its fully justified that as business people, they charge more when people ask for customised specifications. =]

Comment

Originally Posted by BoBnoGG!n View Post
              Well wen u buy a suit, that is the case. the reason we hav to pay more is that, it takes skill to do that. it takes skill to make something specifically and not part of the normal range. like, it might be easy to put together 100 standard cues, 57 inches, 18/19oz, 29mm butt, 9.5mm tip. now to alter any of these specs would take a certain skill. like, wat if a buyer wants 32mm butt, but 11mm tip, and he wants it at 62inches long, BUT only wants it to weigh 14 ounces. it takes a real skilled person to pick good wood, thats light enough to fulfill these criteria and put it together, to become a GOOD playing cue. that is why you pay for specifications.

like, if i bought a XXXXL suit, it isnt as easy as just increasing the measurement of everything by 1 inch. im only 5' 7" so things like, length of pants leg would hav to stay the same. this means the maker would hav to go cut pieces specifically tailored for me, instead of cutting 100 layers at a time, to make the standard size... i know cause my parents are tailors. this is why you pay more for custom. these guys can put together what u need specifically. i doubt any average joe could even put together a cue, thats 18 ounces exact, even if they were instructed by one of these cue makers step by step.

Craftsman, Mastercraft, Coutts make more cues, and charge a little bit less than the higher end. but thats also because, the craftsmanship isnt as good. like with the best makers, you know they pick the BEST woods, and they do a better job on intricate details.

i think its fully justified that as business people, they charge more when people ask for customised specifications. =]
              Dave Coutts is one of the high-end makers! He's a cue artisan, who uses no machines at all in his work, only planes to shape his cues, and ALL of his cues are bespoke cues. Dave uses the best woods, and his attention-to-detail, especially to intricate details, is second-to-none.
              Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

Dave Coutts is one of the high-end makers! He's a cue artisan, who uses no machines at all in his work, only planes to shape his cues, and ALL of his cues are bespoke cues. Dave uses the best woods, and his attention-to-detail, especially to intricate details, is second-to-none.
                my bad friend, i am not very educated in all of the best cue makers. but, u get wat im saying right? dave coutts should charge bit extra, to make custom cues. only if he has a standard range of normal cues though. if he ONLY makes custom cues, understandable if he doesnt raise prices for specific requests.

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up, but there is no one answer to your question. Some cuemakers produce standard spec cues, and to change them costs (and each cuemaker has his own prices for such jobs); others produce totally made-to-measure cues for which there is no customising surcharge, and some of them produce both types of cue ranges: standard specs and bespoke cues.

Perhaps you could give an even more specific idea of what it is you'd like, and I, or others, could guide you in the right direction? Through the years, I think that you'll find that TSF members have accumulated the well of knowledge you're perhaps looking for.

Hope this helps,
                  Keith

Comment

Originally Posted by BoBnoGG!n View Post
                    my bad friend, i am not very educated in all of the best cue makers. but, u get wat im saying right? dave coutts should charge bit extra, to make custom cues. only if he has a standard range of normal cues though. if he ONLY makes custom cues, understandable if he doesnt raise prices for specific requests.
                    I get the general point, but you can't put Dave's work in the same category as Mastercraft and Craftsman, neither by price nor quality.

Dave doesn't have a standard range of cues, only custom cues are built by his hands; he won't charge extra for your specs, but he will charge for specific requests like extra splices etc.

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up, but there is no one answer to your question. Some cuemakers produce standard spec cues, and to change them costs (and each cuemaker has his own prices for such jobs); others produce totally made-to-measure cues for which there is no customising surcharge, and some of them produce both types of cue ranges: standard specs and bespoke cues.

Perhaps you could give an even more specific idea of what it is you'd like, and I, or others, could guide you in the right direction? Through the years, I think that you'll find that TSF members have accumulated the well of knowledge you're perhaps looking for.

Hope this helps,
                      Keith
                      Thank you, Keith. I like the way this thread is going, even though it doesn't really answer my question. But, people are bound to have different views/opinions when it comes to this sort of thing. I understand where BoBnoGG!n is coming from. I, personally, think that it is o.k. for any cue maker to charge their customers for the surcharge. If only, it seems fair to their customers considering their craftmanship, reputation, etc.

But, what I really want to know is what about the resellers who just stock the cues and then resell them just like the name. Does it seem fair if they put any markup on the surcharge?

To Keith and anyone who knows, do the resellers charge their customers for the surcharge? If so, for how much (avg.)?

Thank you, everyone.

Comment

Ok im going to add my 2p's worth.

I think it is totally justified to add an extra charge on items.

But before I explain can i clear one thing up here. Mike does not charge any extra on custom cues. What you pay for is what you get. He does however charge for "alterations" to standard spec premade cues like the sharks, the classics and the Pro's. Now i think this is perfectly fine. If you called me up and i had a 17oz, 58", 10mm plain ebony and ash cue, and you wanted 18oz, 56", 9mm with a maple splice i would never say "Yeah sure id do that for free!". It is the extra time on the cue you are paying for. Also things like ash grades. Now im sorry but you dont go to a timber yard and pick up a stock of Ash, Maple or whatever and every single piece is perfect. I can guarantee you that ig you said to someone like Mike "Please can i have 3 even arrows, medium to stiff, with nice straight grain" he would take the extra time to look though his stocks to get you a piece EXACTLY to your requirements. Now im sorry but the old saying "Time is money" comes into this.

PS: Mastercraft cues are very good cues for very good money. I have a Parris here and a couple of custom mastercraft cues and id not take the Parris to a game.
                        sigpic <---New Website
                        Dan Shelton Cues on Facebook

Comment

Any idea how much they (e.g. Mike Woodridge) are charging? I have seen one who is charging around GBP50. So, what is the standard price for such service excluding the material costs?

Thank you very much. Every answer is much appreciated.

Cheers,
                          Patrick
                          Hi,
                          I think (but I am not 100% sure) I understand what you are getting at.
                          If a cue maker only makes a cue from scratch everytime someone places an order, then why does he need more money for say a 59" than a 57" cue, right?
                          I can see where you are coming from, as in your point of view, he should be only using the same amount of time in building a 57" as a 59" cue, so why charge more?
                          I think in some cases, this is true. And I believe a lot of cue makers would not charge anything more for such a request.
                          But if a cue is already made at 59", and you now say you like it 57", you would need to pay for the extra time and efforts required to make the cue shorter. For some items such as a special shaft, because it is harder to find, it would cost more. It is basically the cost of wastage and time in looking for the rare wood you request that you are paying extra for.
                          Also, with some rare wood splices and such, the cue maker might have to make a speical trip to look for that wood for you, buy at a premium price, and use it just on your cue. You are paying for the extra time, energy, and attention in this case.
                          Some wood are harder to work with, has a higher risk of getting damaged...etc. For example, if you choose something very brittle and unforuntaely it cracked in the final stage of splicing. The cue maker would need to take that cracked splice off and do it all over again. Some wood are just harder to work with and requires more time and care, hence the higher additional charges.
                          www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Working...
                          X