Helpp a newwbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helpp a newwbie

I am new to snooker and have been given a crappy BCE cue (i think thats the make).. it's old and tatty. I am looking to buy a new cue and have a fair amount of money, but dont want to buy anything I DONT NEED.
    I want a cue thats going to last me a good while (a year or so) whilst I improve my game. I've got the basics but now, it's all about improvment and learning to break build and being in control of where the cue ball ends up!
    So any suggestions would be helpful!
    I dont know about tip sizes cue sizes or anything.
    I think i'd prefer a heavier cue but not sure
    Im 6ft 2' and 16 years old so could still grow... (telling you this because im not sure what cue size to get)
    If anyone can help me with makes, sizes or ANYTHING. I'll be very thankful!
    Thanks.

how much is a fair amount of money?

Comment

Read through the information section on mike wooldridge site. will give you a good base to start from.
      Best thing would be to go to a showroom (craftsman, greenbaize etc.) and try a load of cues to find out what you like.
      sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

I have a Omin perfect cue for sale if you are interested.

Brand new O'min 3/4 perfect (£90)
        Splice - rare kingwood over white then green veneer
        57", 9.5mm, 17.5oz & 29mm butt

Unclethai traditional (£145)
        splice - Asia burrwood over maple veneer
        57", 9.5mm, 18oz & 29mm butt

Unclethai 4 lower splice (£150)
        Splice - Pradoo wood
        57", 9.5mm, 18oz & 29mm butt

Keith Auld (£90)
        Splice - Thuya burr over maple veneer
        57", 9.5mm, 17.3oz & 29mm butt

10yrs old O'min 3/4 perfect maple cue (£155)
        57"
        17.5oz
        9.7mm Tip
        28.5mm butt
        Perfectly balanced at 17" from butt
        Splice - 4 splash of rare kingwood over thin black veneer follow by green veneer plus a face splice of the darkest ebony over thin green veneer
        Extra - 9" ebony mini butt w/ rare O'min badge & black O'min 1pcs leather case (not 3/4)

All cue comes with mini butt unless not stated.

Postage by Air(7-10days) - £30

Email me willysellcue@yahoo.com

Comment

Hello TobyMC...welcome to TSF...

If you are looking for a new cue (customade) with a fair amount of your money, you can also try this link:- www.mastercraft-cues.co.uk. They made good quality cues with low price range. Service is also very2 nice and friendly.

In addition, for your height and age, try this standard cue spec first. 18oz weight / 58" length / 30mm butt diameter / 9.5mm ferrule diameter.

Either butt (3/4) jointed or 1pc cue should be okay for you but the 3/4 cue is the most popular choice anyway (convenience purpose). Avoid buying a centre (1/2) jointed cue.

Hope this helps.
          Last edited by brendan147; 21 December 2009, 06:02 AM.
          My cueing sucks

Comment

Originally Posted by TobyMc View Post
            I am new to snooker and have been given a crappy BCE cue (i think thats the make).. it's old and tatty. I am looking to buy a new cue and have a fair amount of money, but dont want to buy anything I DONT NEED.
            I want a cue thats going to last me a good while (a year or so) whilst I improve my game. I've got the basics but now, it's all about improvment and learning to break build and being in control of where the cue ball ends up!
            So any suggestions would be helpful!
            I dont know about tip sizes cue sizes or anything.
            I think i'd prefer a heavier cue but not sure
            Im 6ft 2' and 16 years old so could still grow... (telling you this because im not sure what cue size to get)
            If anyone can help me with makes, sizes or ANYTHING. I'll be very thankful!
            Thanks.

You are ALWAYS best buying a cue which will serve you now AND the future also.

There is no reason why you would require a cue to 'improve' with, only to perhaps move onto another cue in twelve months time. Cues in themselves will never teach, develop or particularly improve your positional play, that's going to depend on how you learn the skills required over a period of time, and also, the amount of perception and talent you have to begin with.

Making breaks is not the be all and end all of playing great competitive snooker, it's more about minimising the errors in your play, whatever the shots are that you might be playing. The selection of the shots you play is perhaps one area of the game which is not given enough attention by many players.

Regarding the cue......If you can try other people's cues, then that would be useful to you, especially in terms of length, tip size or weight that you may feel most comfortable with. There is no reason why you need to spend any set amount of money on finding a cue which will serve every need you'll ever have in a cue, because a good cue is a good cue, no matter who built it or what it costs.

For your height, and if you are uncertain of spces for a cue, then I'd not use anything less than 58" in length, (or much over 59.5" unless you are Nikolai Valuev) with a ferrule of approx 9.5mm and a weight ranging between 17oz's to 18.5 oz's. Any other specs are fairly irrelevant.

Good luck with your search.

Comment

Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
              how much is a fair amount of money?
              Up to £150ish could stretch either way

Comment

Originally Posted by trevs1 View Post
                You are ALWAYS best buying a cue which will serve you now AND the future also.

There is no reason why you would require a cue to 'improve' with, only to perhaps move onto another cue in twelve months time. Cues in themselves will never teach, develop or particularly improve your positional play, that's going to depend on how you learn the skills required over a period of time, and also, the amount of perception and talent you have to begin with.

Making breaks is not the be all and end all of playing great competitive snooker, it's more about minimising the errors in your play, whatever the shots are that you might be playing. The selection of the shots you play is perhaps one area of the game which is not given enough attention by many players.

Regarding the cue......If you can try other people's cues, then that would be useful to you, especially in terms of length, tip size or weight that you may feel most comfortable with. There is no reason why you need to spend any set amount of money on finding a cue which will serve every need you'll ever have in a cue, because a good cue is a good cue, no matter who built it or what it costs.

For your height, and if you are uncertain of spces for a cue, then I'd not use anything less than 58" in length, (or much over 59.5" unless you are Nikolai Valuev) with a ferrule of approx 9.5mm and a weight ranging between 17oz's to 18.5 oz's. Any other specs are fairly irrelevant.

Good luck with your search.
                thats the best advice you will get and coming from one of if not the best cue maker in the UK.....

Comment

TW on the ball

It's good to see that when a "newwbie" asks for help about a choice of cues that a cue maker offer's the best advice. I don't think that TobyMc's post was about wanting to buy a new cue, more about what specs would suit him in a new cue. Weight, length, tip size etc.... But yet the first two out of four posts were people trying to palm/sell some cues.

Thanks for your input TW.

Comment

Originally Posted by TheRowdyOne View Post
                    It's good to see that when a "newwbie" asks for help about a choice of cues that a cue maker offer's the best advice. I don't think that TobyMc's post was about wanting to buy a new cue, more about what specs would suit him in a new cue. Weight, length, tip size etc.... But yet the first two out of four posts were people trying to palm/sell some cues.

Thanks for your input TW.
                    Unless someone has edited the posts, the only one trying to sell off cues was willytan.

Trevs advice is defo spot on and having some of the best cue makers in the UK is a massive plus for the forum and it's members.
                    Andi Mack

Comment

Originally Posted by andi mack View Post
                      Unless someone has edited the posts, the only one trying to sell off cues was willytan.

Trevs advice is defo spot on and having some of the best cue makers in the UK is a massive plus for the forum and it's members.
                      True... My Bad. To much Alcohol for me... i just assumed Brendan147 was trying to promote mastercues with his link... Sorry Brendan you gave some good advice too.

Comment

[QUOTE=andi mack;445858]Unless someone has edited the posts, the only one trying to sell off cues was willytan.QUOTE]

I m trying to provide like minded snooker players with a quality cue at reasonable price...

With 150, i strongely suggest you get a mid price range Thailand made cue set such as O'min & mastercue instead from ADR or stu green.
                        Unless you are looking for a black ebony cue.

Thailand made cue workmanship & quality is almost near or on par with some of the UK made cue but they lack the vast selection of exotic wood for splicing.
                        Last edited by willytan; 21 December 2009, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by TobyMc View Post
                          Up to £150ish could stretch either way
                          for that you could get

mastercraft
                          craftsman
                          wooldridge shark (+160 i believe)
                          mastercue
                          omin

but then you've got to think about cases which set you back 50 quid too

Comment

Get a 20ish leatherette case from ADR...
                            He shld be able to find something, somewhere.. & some how....

Sorry.. it is 30ish plus...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ONE-PIECE-LEAT...item3c9b526bff
                            Last edited by willytan; 21 December 2009, 01:03 PM.

Comment

can you get them that cheap? always thought the leather ones were much more expensive

Comment

Working...
                              X