No announcement yet.

Riley Burwat Platinum - at what price?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riley Burwat Platinum - at what price?

Hi Guys, I am new to this forum. I have spent a couple of days browsing and discovering that there is no love for Riley/BCE cues here.

At what price point would you consider a Riley Burwat Platinum (RBP-3 specifically) to become a good buy? The Riley shop asks £165, and I have an opportunity to purchase a new one for £79 inc mismart extender and Riley hard case. I have no desire to pay Mastercraft/Welsh Pool prices right now.

I realise some of you are going to say not at any price, but if you must post such a reply please explain why. I see plenty of posts saying don't buy Riley but have not found any reason other than they are made in China.

Thank you in anticipation of your considered replies.

Tbh, even at £79 that cue is well over-priced, and such a poor quality cue would never be a good buy in my eyes. It's the quality of materials used, as well as the production process and the finish that make such cues a bad investment, as you've no guarantee how long, if ever, the cue will stay straight, and how well, or badly, it'll play.

Instead of going for Mastercraft or Welsh Pool, if you don't went to pay their prices, I'd suggest a Master cue or O'Min machine-spliced cue, which you should be able to pick up for £80 or less. I don't know if you've got a local stockist of such brands, but you can
    do a quick search on the 'net or try Coutts Cues or Green Baize who generally stock them. Thurston's also stock them, under a different name, eg: http://www.thurston.co.uk/Pages/Prod...D=A1657&page=1 This is a Master cue, and I've had one of them in the past, and they're good cues which play well. Take care of it, and it'll last you a lifetime.
    Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

Thank you for your reply Keith. I am still somewhat shocked that the Riley would produce such a poor quality item and sell it as their top of the line product at a premium price. What kind of management allows such a well known brand to be damaged in this fashion?

I think I will make the trip to Leeds in the new year and spend a while at Craftsman Cues, I like the price and look of the Cue Craft 3/4 machine spliced ebony.

Comment

I've had my Burwat platinum for nearly three years now. It's still piston straight and is an excellent cue. It's exactly the same as with cars, don't be put off by badge snobbery. If it feels good in your hand and you play well with it, then dw bout other people opinions.

All I can tell you is I wouldn't trade mine for anything.
        Steve Davis Technical Articles = https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...ilebasic?pli=1

Comment

Me too Ive had my RBP-1 for a while now and wouldnt want to swap it for anything,...Just go for what feel's good with you and enjoy....

Comment

Originally Posted by Giggity1984 View Post
            I've had my Burwat platinum for nearly three years now. It's still piston straight and is an excellent cue. It's exactly the same as with cars, don't be put off by badge snobbery. If it feels good in your hand and you play well with it, then dw bout other people opinions.

All I can tell you is I wouldn't trade mine for anything.
            Originally Posted by scottyreilly View Post
            Me too Ive had my RBP-1 for a while now and wouldnt want to swap it for anything,...Just go for what feel's good with you and enjoy....

This is very good advice too, but only if you've had the opportunity to closely inspect the cue yourself and can see if it's any good or not. The best thing, of course, is to be able to try-before-you-buy.

Personally, I've not seen what I would consider a "good" Riley for a long time now, especially since their production site moved to China, but there must be one or two floating about, and perhaps Giggity and scotty have got good ones, but, as I said, I've not seen a good one for years.

However, if you find a good one, that YOU are happy with, then the guys are right, don't let anyone else tell you that you shouldn't play with it, as it's what suits YOU that counts.

A final word, just to say that the idea of visiting Craftsman, or Green Baize, where you can get good quality cues, for a low price, that you can try before you buy, is an excellent one.

Good luck!
            Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

Hi! Giggity1984 / scottyreilly,

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2010.

I always thinking of taking a look at the RBP range cues....

Can you help ?

Can you please take a picture of the bottom part of the cue, especially the screw hole ?
              I just want to know how it look like, please.................

If ok, please email the pic to kadobau@yahoo.com

Thank you.

Comment

Originally Posted by ikolpdog View Post
                Hi Guys, I am new to this forum. I have spent a couple of days browsing and discovering that there is no love for Riley/BCE cues here.

At what price point would you consider a Riley Burwat Platinum (RBP-3 specifically) to become a good buy? The Riley shop asks £165, and I have an opportunity to purchase a new one for £79 inc mismart extender and Riley hard case. I have no desire to pay Mastercraft/Welsh Pool prices right now.

I realise some of you are going to say not at any price, but if you must post such a reply please explain why. I see plenty of posts saying don't buy Riley but have not found any reason other than they are made in China.

Thank you in anticipation of your considered replies.
                Hi Ikolpdog,

I can get you a new 4 piece Cue Craft snooker set with a quality 3/4cue case for £115 inc. p & p. Photo's available vie email to cueist@genie.co.uk

Specs are: Ash ash shaft spliced to Rosewood butt with coloured veneer (red, green, orange or blue.) Butt jointed and a 3/4 joint. 9.5mm tip. 18 oz Mini-butt and long extenson included - will fit either joint, so mini-butt can be added to shaft for playing English pool in a tight space!

It's a quality UK made cue and case package at a great price. If you live within travelling distance of Chesterfield, Derbyshire, you can come to my club to try out and collect and will save you p & p. Email me and I'll send the pics to you.

Other options and cues in stock..Email: cueist@genie.co.uk

Dave, Snookerpoolman, Tel. 07740102927:snooker:

Comment

Working...
                X