No announcement yet.

john parris cue problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had a lot of dealings recently with JP, having my cue altered quite a few times. I haven't been completely satisfied with the service or the work. On two occasions the shaft was trimmed down even though it only went in for work on the butt. After the last lot of work, the butt was finished badly and is uneven. If you roll the cue on the table you get to a point where the butt comes away from the table. If you then push it down you get a rocking motion, as the butt has been over plained on this side. Although it does not affect the way the cue plays, it is not why you go to JP and it also rattles.

I’m having a new cue made next year and will not be going back to JP.
    h
    Last edited by cazmac1; 29 December 2009, 10:23 AM.

Comment

I cant see pictures :P

Comment

I've just recieved my ambassador cue from jp and cant say there is any problems at all. The cue plays very well, looks the part and just looks like a parris cue should in my opinion. My girlfriend bought the cue as a surprise for xmas and he has been very helpful with her. Recieved numerous phone calls letting her know the progress of the cue and making sure it was here for xmas day etc. Only minor niggle is that the shaft feels too smooth (if there is such a thing) and doesnt seem to have any oil/wax or any form of protection on it. Maybe I'm wrong and just cant feel it or see it oh yeah and the website is a bit of a swiz, only displaying prices before VAT is added on! He did throw in a free towel though so all is well!

Comment

The feel of the shaft will change though, so you should be ok if the cue looks well made and you like it, you've probably been lucky and got a good one. Unlike myself and many others who didn't, even on top of the range models.
          I've no doubt John Parris himself is a master cuemaker, but he doesn't make them, only I daresay for the top pros as has been suggested already.
          Most are probably Thai made, and badged & checked by Parris cues. Go for a Stamford instead

Comment

JP used to be the best, when he actually made the cues. He only makes the top end stuff now I think. For the 300-600 price there are so so so many better cues out there now (all have been listed on this fine site).
            JP now sells cues to people who still think his name is synonymous with the best cues in the world, sorry friends, those days are gone.
            Forget it, Donny, you're out of your element

Comment

Originally Posted by circle View Post
              Does anyone know when the decline in the standard of Parris cues began?

My own experiences, although long ago, have been good. I have always considered John himself, to be a master craftsman.
              I think more than 6 or seven years ago, at least going on my cue and some of the rumours I was hearing around that time in Brisbane. There were rumours there that his cues were being made in Indonesia, though Thailand seems most likely. I wouldn't beleive his website, most of the info on it hasn't been updated for years. I definitely don't buy the idea that his shafts are seasoned and tapered gradually over a long period of time.

It was some of his older cues that I'd seen and tried which made me buy a cue from him, but frankly I think he just can't keep up with demand and maintain quality for everyone.
              Tear up that manure-fed astroturf!

Comment

This is a very interesting discussion going on here. Can't any member provide us with pictures that show the faultiness in JP's cues? Or put a JP side to side with a TW or an MW to see the difference in the finish?
                It's not the pace of life that concerns me... It's whether I make a 147 break before it ends!
                Quote © to Craftman Cues.

Comment

Originally Posted by eaoin11 View Post
                  I think more than 6 or seven years ago, at least going on my cue and some of the rumours I was hearing around that time in Brisbane. There were rumours there that his cues were being made in Indonesia, though Thailand seems most likely. I wouldn't beleive his website, most of the info on it hasn't been updated for years. I definitely don't buy the idea that his shafts are seasoned and tapered gradually over a long period of time.

It was some of his older cues that I'd seen and tried which made me buy a cue from him, but frankly I think he just can't keep up with demand and maintain quality for everyone.
                  Perhaps I might be wrong, but JP (genuine badges) this 2009 not coming from Thailand, China, or Indonesia, but one other Asian Country. I might be wrong. I might be wrong
                  It's in the Shaft

Comment

I believe the Thailand rumour comes from when JP travelled to Mastercue a long long time ago with the intention of having them produce stock cues for him (no idea if these would have been marked as such). For whatever reason I don't think things progressed and I'm sure Mastercues do not produce anything for JP although they did learn a lot about finishing cues.
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Old cue collector --
                    Cue Sales: http://oldcues.co.uk/index.php?id=for_sale_specials
                    (yes I know they're not cheap, I didn't intend them to be!..)
                    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

John does not have blanks made up abroad at all, all of the cues are made in the UK, he has a large team of skilled craftsmen at his workshop, I think form what he was saying when I spoke to him last it was around 12 people who work for him.

If he gets blanks made up then why did he spend two days in the Sheffield area when the world championships were on going to lumber yards and looking for wood?

If you have a problem with a cue simply contact John and have it sent back to be sorted.

Comment

Originally Posted by ferret View Post

If you have a problem with a cue simply contact John and have it sent back to be sorted.
                        Thats a fair comment and the correct way to go about it - BUT as the original post stated "we have tried to talk thru numerous emails but have had no response from john parris" so what can you do ??? This is not the best way of conducting business - and the old excuse of "not having time" to respond is just not good enough

Comment

Every now and again the same old "slagging John Parris cue" thread starts off on here....I have to say I dont believe a word of it.

I have had numerous cues (exclusives and ultimate and just bog standard ones) and they have all been good - brilliant...
                          His service is second to none and I just don't believe this nonsense anymore...

Comment

Originally Posted by 1lawyer View Post
                            Every now and again the same old "slagging John Parris cue" thread starts off on here....I have to say I dont believe a word of it.

I have had numerous cues (exclusives and ultimate and just bog standard ones) and they have all been good - brilliant...
                            I've posted my theory before but I will again... People get a MW or TW cue... Don't like it suddenly a thread appears saying "This is the best cue I have ever owned it just doesn't suit me" anyone want to buy it?
                            If they don't like a JP its "oh its a terrible cue plays dead I hate it"

I understand some people might have serious problems but it gets hard to tell whos just having a go and who has a serious complaint.
                            sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

i have to agree with you ive had a few parris cues and never had a problem with him or the cues.

Comment

Every now and again the same old "slagging John Parris cue" thread starts off on here....I have to say I dont believe a word of it ...
                                So are you saying the original poster is lying about his cue problem
                                By the way i have a 15 year old JP classic (see my avatar) - best cue ive ever had, so i personally have nothing against him, but if there is a problem, at the very least you should be able to contact JP to discuss it

Comment

Working...
                                X