X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by 1lawyer View Post
    so are you an arsonist?

What has JP ever done to you?
    Does he not deserve to make a living like all the other cue makers you mentioned?
    JP has done nothing to me ,, but like you said it is my opinion , and by the sound of it many,many others !!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Quite....

So lets get this right you yourself use a 14 year old Parris ambassador cue but you now think they are all made by Chinese schoolboy's...and they are only good if you are in the top 16 right?

and judging by what you have said if you were given a Parris Ultimate by John you would not use it...cool ok, good shout, I believe you.

We are all entitled to our opinions...fair play:snooker:

Comment

is 1lawyer actually JP himself

Comment

Ha ha ha....no but perhaps I should get some kinda discount...

Comment

Originally Posted by 1lawyer View Post
            Quite....

So lets get this right you yourself use a 14 year old Parris ambassador cue but you now think they are all made by Chinese schoolboy's...and they are only good if you are in the top 16 right?

and judging by what you have said if you were given a Parris Ultimate by John you would not use it...cool ok, good shout, I believe you.

We are all entitled to our opinions...fair play:snooker:
            i think you need to re read my post ,, it says i HAVE,, not that i USE,, a parris ambassador, and i also said that it was 15 years old and that it was the best parris i have ever seen ,that is what i stated right at the begining,, i said that the cues he has made or had made by whoever under his name in the last 7/8 years are shocking in quality ,, so if you are trying to make a point make sure you get your facts right or you make yourself look a right IDIOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Well, I have known John Parris since he made a cue for me back in 1986 and I have to say, hand on heart, that over the last 24 years since then that he has made me quite a few hand made cues (Specials and Ultimates) and they have all been exactly what I asked for down to the last detail and without exception they have all been just about as good quality as its possible for a cue to be.

I have been lucky enough to indulge my incurable 'Cue Addiction' over the last few years and have probably bought and sold around 100 cues just over the last 10 years. I have used nearly all of the top cue makers to make me handmade cues (Parris, Wooldridge, Trevor White, North West, Craftsman, Andy Bream to name just a few!!) and I can guarantee that I am a cuemakers nightmare as I am so fussy with my different specs BUT all the above cuemakers have all produced first class cues. I must say that (in MY opinion) the very best cue that I have ever had made for me was a John Parris 'Special' maple cue that was just about perfect but like an idiot I had a bad match one night, blamed the cue and sold it!! Trevor White has also made me some spectacular cues and I personally think that the finish on his ash cues is unbeatable.

In my opinion, if you get a hand made cue from John Parris (Special, Paragon or Ultimate) then the cue will be 'as good as it gets'. John even has a guarantee that if you are not happy with the cue that you receive then he will make you another cue.

I was in London the week before Christmas and called in to see a friend who lives in Forest Hill so decided to visit the Parris shop there and spent about 3 hours chatting to John. Eventually I asked him if he had any of the cues that he makes for Ronnie O'Sullivan and he went into the workshop and brought out a couple of the actual cues. Both were 'Ultimates' and they had both been made for Ronnie back in September and sent to him to try out but he had eventually returned them as he is now searching for even more particular 'arrows' pattern on the shaft!! So, there I was, standing in the John Parris shop, holding a cue that I knew was made for Ronnie so before I knew what I had done I talked John Parris into selling one of them to me!! So I am now the proud owner of a cue that in my opinion is just about perfect. Every splice is perfect, the balance is lovely, it is silky smooth and just feels fantastic..................but I am still a rubbish snooker player!!

I know what most of you will be thinking........what a plonker!! But I don't mind, it is just a very special cue.

Oldgit
              'Believe To Achieve'

Comment

Thanks a lot for sharing this nice story, oldgit.
                I love it when there is a story behind a cue.
                And Fedia24 will be very jealous...
                I am confused... Oh wait... Maybe I'm not...

Comment

Originally Posted by Oldgit View Post
                  Well, I have known John Parris since he made a cue for me back in 1986 and I have to say, hand on heart, that over the last 24 years since then that he has made me quite a few hand made cues (Specials and Ultimates) and they have all been exactly what I asked for down to the last detail and without exception they have all been just about as good quality as its possible for a cue to be.

I have been lucky enough to indulge my incurable 'Cue Addiction' over the last few years and have probably bought and sold around 100 cues just over the last 10 years. I have used nearly all of the top cue makers to make me handmade cues (Parris, Wooldridge, Trevor White, North West, Craftsman, Andy Bream to name just a few!!) and I can guarantee that I am a cuemakers nightmare as I am so fussy with my different specs BUT all the above cuemakers have all produced first class cues. I must say that (in MY opinion) the very best cue that I have ever had made for me was a John Parris 'Special' maple cue that was just about perfect but like an idiot I had a bad match one night, blamed the cue and sold it!! Trevor White has also made me some spectacular cues and I personally think that the finish on his ash cues is unbeatable.

In my opinion, if you get a hand made cue from John Parris (Special, Paragon or Ultimate) then the cue will be 'as good as it gets'. John even has a guarantee that if you are not happy with the cue that you receive then he will make you another cue.

I was in London the week before Christmas and called in to see a friend who lives in Forest Hill so decided to visit the Parris shop there and spent about 3 hours chatting to John. Eventually I asked him if he had any of the cues that he makes for Ronnie O'Sullivan and he went into the workshop and brought out a couple of the actual cues. Both were 'Ultimates' and they had both been made for Ronnie back in September and sent to him to try out but he had eventually returned them as he is now searching for even more particular 'arrows' pattern on the shaft!! So, there I was, standing in the John Parris shop, holding a cue that I knew was made for Ronnie so before I knew what I had done I talked John Parris into selling one of them to me!! So I am now the proud owner of a cue that in my opinion is just about perfect. Every splice is perfect, the balance is lovely, it is silky smooth and just feels fantastic..................but I am still a rubbish snooker player!!

I know what most of you will be thinking........what a plonker!! But I don't mind, it is just a very special cue.

Oldgit
                  Hi,
                  What is the spec on your new JP cue, and how do the arrows look?
                  Thank you for sharing such a wonderful story.
                  www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
                    Hi,
                    What is the spec on your new JP cue, and how do the arrows look?
                    Thank you for sharing such a wonderful story.

Length is 58 1/8th inches, one piece, straight grained ash, 'Traditional' look, 9.45mm tip, and there are five evenly spaced sharp arrows with the last 'arrow' about 4 or 5inches from the ferrule. Apparantly this is quite important to Ronnie!! I think John said that the butt is 30mm. Its balanced exactly on the end of the splicing which is 17inches. My cue is Ultimate number 1400 and it was made at the end of September.

So, I've got an identical cue to Ronnie, why can't I play like him?? The first time I used it I had a 48 break, not bad for an Oldgit!!

Oldgit
                    'Believe To Achieve'

Comment

I read this thread from post #1 up and here is what I can say:

I was planning to buy JP Ultimate long time ago (before I become TSF member). When I came to TSF, I found there are loads of BAD stories regarding JP cues. Guess what? JP is not listed in my "collection" anymore.

Here is why...

Back to 15yrs ago (or so) JP himself made the cue and judging by some folks experience here, no doubt he is 1 of the best cuemaker in the world.

However, again based on some (or many) complaints here in TSF the new JP (which is the mass produced) cues has brought down his reputation since these new JP cues are made by his workers. They are skilled of course, but the quality of their touch cannot be compared to their master, JP himself.

So, why should I buy a JP cue if I already know that he will only make cues for the PRO or someone who can "exclusicely" pay him? Choices are plenty out there...MW, TW, H&O...just to name a few top notch...and I will go for their cues instead...

Sorry JP fans...even Omin cue from Thailand might be a better choice for most players...as the value of this brand is really2 worth their money.

Cheers...
                      My cueing sucks

Comment

Originally Posted by Oldgit View Post
                        Length is 58 1/8th inches, one piece, straight grained ash, 'Traditional' look, 9.45mm tip, and there are five evenly spaced sharp arrows with the last 'arrow' about 4 or 5inches from the ferrule. Apparantly this is quite important to Ronnie!! I think John said that the butt is 30mm. Its balanced exactly on the end of the splicing which is 17inches. My cue is Ultimate number 1400 and it was made at the end of September.

So, I've got an identical cue to Ronnie, why can't I play like him?? The first time I used it I had a 48 break, not bad for an Oldgit!!

Oldgit
                        What weight?

Comment

Originally Posted by mihnea View Post
                          What weight?
                          18.3 oz

Oldgit
                          'Believe To Achieve'

Comment

So...
                            Lenght: 58 1/8 ”
                            Tip: 9,45 mm
                            Butt: 30mm
                            Weight: 18,3 oz
                            Balance: 17”

Thanks!

Comment

Originally Posted by brendan147 View Post
                              i read this thread from post #1 up and here is what i can say:

I was planning to buy jp ultimate long time ago (before i become tsf member). When i came to tsf, i found there are loads of bad stories regarding jp cues. Guess what? Jp is not listed in my "collection" anymore.

Here is why...

Back to 15yrs ago (or so) jp himself made the cue and judging by some folks experience here, no doubt he is 1 of the best cuemaker in the world.

However, again based on some (or many) complaints here in tsf the new jp (which is the mass produced) cues has brought down his reputation since these new jp cues are made by his workers. They are skilled of course, but the quality of their touch cannot be compared to their master, jp himself.

So, why should i buy a jp cue if i already know that he will only make cues for the pro or someone who can "exclusicely" pay him? Choices are plenty out there...mw, tw, h&o...just to name a few top notch...and i will go for their cues instead...

Sorry jp fans...even omin cue from thailand might be a better choice for most players...as the value of this brand is really2 worth their money.

Cheers...
                              spot on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

When I ordered mine 6 yrs ago I already knew he made good cues, but didn't know at that time that he also let out some really dodgy ones. Oldgit, your story is really depressing for someone living outside the UK with no confidence left in 90% of cue makers.
                                Tear up that manure-fed astroturf!

Comment

Working...
                                X